Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, rclab said:

I remember growing up in the 50’s, my father saying that it was cold enough to snow or too cold to snow. Knowing little more than I do now about the machinations of the atmosphere I hung onto the 12 inch Magnavox weather forecasts or the radio. I would get so angry when it was so cold because invariably I’d hear the same radio refrain; “increasing cloudiness and milder”. The weather guy on Dave Garroways today show would say, we  need one of these lows to the south to plug into one of these cold highs over us to get snow. Such, as a child was I satisfied. Now, in the last of my years, hearing what it takes to get snow to the coastal plain I think of such simplicity as nostalgic and endearing. Thank you for the memory ORH. Stay well, as always …

There is some partial usefulness to the notion of 'too cold to snow' ... the problem is in the application of it. 

The reason that was coined is because colder air holds less water vapor.  That, and ... high pressure N is both a cold pattern, but can often be too much of a good thing in that it can be a surface representation of a suppressed field.  That is indirectly 'too cold to snow' but is kind of a Lawyer's definition of it. If one is lazy or playing with semantics (either), saying it is too cold to snow in a cold weighty high pressure (  suppressed pattern), you wouldn't be wrong that sort of, but you'd get partial credit on the exam. 

Fact of that matter is, it can snow at any temperature if the dynamics are sufficient.  In 2015 February ... one of those coastal storms was a cold juggernaut, and we still managed 15 to 18" of it through a 5F air mass and wind gusts to 50 mph!   It was like those blue light cryo scenes over a dusky Barrow ... sorry, Utqiagvik Alaska.  That storm ended at 0 F, too... flurries with blowing snow.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

you need a woodstove.....It is amazing during October and November. A few hours of burning it and the house is well over 70°. The best part is, it only takes a few good pieces to get the temperature up to those levels....

I had one in our last house. Worked fine but I don’t have the bandwidth to do all the wood prepping like kdxken. 

51 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Depended on location, of course.  1981-82 and 83-84 (Fort Kent) were very snowy and 86-87 (Gardiner) had ~50" in January and a long deep pack.  Then the pre-Thanksgiving blizzard that began the 6-week cold snap in 1989 included the 2nd of my 3 lifetime thundersnows.  (Other 2 are 12/24/1966 in NNJ [thought the first crack was sonic boom :lol: because snow/thunder "couldn't happen"] and 2/11/2005 here.)

Yeah for many of us the 1980s reference is really mostly after the 83-84 winter through the 1991-92 winter which is something we should specify more often since any normal person would look at the entire decade....86-87 was spectacular over the interior (though I missed the majority of that one living in Texas at the time)....and '87-'88 was serviceable.

But the defining feature of the mid 1980s through early 1990s was the lack of blockbuster periods or winters to offset the absolute turds. '86-'87 was really the exception (and mostly January 1987 at that). Of course, anyone who is very familiar with SNE first order climo knows also about the 10 year streak where Boston failed to record a 12"+ snowstorm....a stretch that started after the February 1983 KU event and ended with the March 1993 Superstorm. That brutal period also includes the only time that ORH did not record a 10"+ storm in 3 consecutive winters....and they actually managed to do it for 4 in a row ('88-'89 through '91-'92) just to make sure we all knew. :lol:

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah for many of us the 1980s reference is really mostly after the 83-84 winter through the 1991-92 winter which is something we should specify more often since any normal person would look at the entire decade....86-87 was spectacular over the interior (though I missed the majority of that one living in Texas at the time)....and '87-'88 was serviceable.

But the defining feature of the mid 1980s through early 1990s was the lack of blockbuster periods or winters to offset the absolute turds. '86-'87 was really the exception (and mostly January 1987 at that). Of course, anyone who is very familiar with SNE first order climo knows also about the 10 year streak where Boston failed to record a 12"+ snowstorm....a stretch that started after the February 1983 KU event and ended with the March 1993 Superstorm. That brutal period also includes the only time that ORH did not record a 10"+ storm in 3 consecutive winters....and they actually managed to do it for 4 in a row ('88-'89 through '91-'92) just to make sure we all knew. :lol:

Were those winters drier than normal 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Heh ... I was living in Acton at that time .. I don't remember it that way to be honest.  We had one or two unexpected/over achievers, but we had too many giant historical bombs that cranked the Cape at the last minute and we ended with flurry orb sun in 9F cold for me to be sold by that adjective.

It didn't suck ... it left too much on the table though.

1980s were a special kind of hell. I'm not going to allow a C/C+ winter in the midst of it diminish it's uniquely dark value. lol.   It wasn't just not snowing - it had of way of rubbing it in for years on end

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The older I get, the less I care for useless cold in the fall. Burning oil to keep the house at 65 in Oct is useless as well. 

Climo makes cold just about useless through at least the first third to half of December too…

There’s nothing wrong with normal. That’s about a 61 high/40 low here. Today is glorious. Crisp morning and beautiful afternoon. 

ykcRaAB.jpg

8KcFaZ7.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Average for 25 years here is 88.6" and for the first 20 we never had consecutive winters without a 12"+ event.  Then we had 3, 18-19 thru 20-21 and only the 12.4" storm in early Feb 2022 prevented a 4th.  The real end was last Dec's 22" bomb.

Looks like we'll have our 9th straight cloudy/mostly cloudy day today, and probably the 1st sub-50 max of the season.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
156 PM EDT Mon Oct 23 2023

CTZ002>004-MAZ017-018-RIZ001-240700-
/O.NEW.KBOX.FR.Y.0004.231024T0600Z-231024T1300Z/
Hartford CT-Tolland CT-Windham CT-Northern Bristol MA-
Western Plymouth MA-Northwest Providence RI-
Including the cities of Hartford, Windsor Locks, Union, Vernon,
Putnam, Willimantic, Taunton, Brockton, Foster, and Smithfield
156 PM EDT Mon Oct 23 2023

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 9 AM EDT TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 34 will result in frost
  formation.

* WHERE...In Connecticut, Hartford, Tolland and Windham
  Counties. In Massachusetts, Northern Bristol and Western
  Plymouth Counties. In Rhode Island, Northwest Providence
  County.

* WHEN...From 2 AM to 9 AM EDT Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Frost could kill sensitive outdoor vegetation if
  left uncovered.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold.
  • Like 1

Just read about Will’s 80s recollection. I’ll say it again and beat it over the head of people like Brett. You have no idea how bad it was. 6” was like getting 12-18 now and it’s not hyperbole. You cherished the storms we got and seasons like 86-88. 

Also, there were a few storms that destroyed the cape and left everyone else screwed. Even where I was, those storms porked and thank god the internet was not around. We only had people like Shelby Scott from WBZ to let us know how bad it was in spots. That hurt enough lol. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just read about Will’s 80s recollection. I’ll say it again and beat it over the head of people like Brett. You have no idea how bad it was. 6” was like getting 12-18 now and it’s not hyperbole. You cherished the storms we got and seasons like 86-88. 

Also, there were a few storms that destroyed the cape and left everyone else screwed. Even where I was, those storms porked and thank god the internet was not around. We only had people like Shelby Scott from WBZ to let us know how bad it was in spots. That hurt enough lol. 

That’s how it is now down here in the hinterlands :lol: half a decade (minus a near normal year) and counting. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Much of my childhood sucked for snow . One storm I recall fondly was Nov 89 . Had 8” of paste and thundersnow . Most of it fell overnight and over by morning . Had quite a bit of limb and tree damage. The 70’s in NJ were in general good . But the 80’s blew 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Much of my childhood sucked for snow . One storm I recall fondly was Nov 89 . Had 8” of paste and thundersnow . Most of it fell overnight and over by morning . Had quite a bit of limb and tree damage. The 70’s in NJ were in general good . But the 80’s blew 

Nov 89 was the thanksgiving day storm…snowed all morning…was riding my sled all over the neighborhood that T Giving morning. 

82-83 and 83-84 were pretty good.  I mean spring of ‘82 we had the April blizzard…was Incredible.  Late 70’s rocked big time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Okay boomer :lol:. J/k

The lows are definitely lower now though. Tough to argue that.

• Confused 1

Curious to how many people have Ravens nearby? I'vespent almost all my life in New England and had never seen one until a couple years back. They had been wiped out. Since then I'll hear them more than see them and usually only a single Raven. Left a gut pile from a deer in a field over the weekend. Today there must have been 10 or 20 of them. They were chasing away the vultures and hawks. Here's a video if anyone's interested.

32 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You might be thinking of veterans  day 87.