Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

21 was fine here…no ratter. 

2015-2016 was pretty close to being a ratter here...borderline. But other than that, I have managed to dodge a true ratter since 2011-2012, however, I have had 5 consecutive and 8/9 subpar seasons since 2015.

But that is how my area is relative to most of SNE...less variance. I tend to be just far enough north to get porked in huge years, and pull out some NNE scraps to narrowly avoid ratters.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Ah, ok - didn't realize they changed something.

That's actually a relief.  Thought I had accidentally consumed more than a micro-dose of fungi this morning.  

idk...looks like the normal vis sat to me.

Pretty cool how you can see the weak isolated convection (cumulus) dissipate the stratus field around them. Must be some weaker downdrafts around them that's clearing the thin low stratus out. It almost looks like that "hole punch" phenomenon but that requires ice crystals to rob the stratus of water vapor due to the vapor pressure differences.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk...looks like the normal vis sat to me.

Pretty cool how you can see the weak isolated convection (cumulus) dissipate the stratus field around them. Must be some weaker downdrafts around them that's clearing the thin low stratus out. It almost looks like that "hole punch" phenomenon but that requires ice crystals to rob the stratus of water vapor due to the vapor pressure differences.

Had to do an errand and could see those towers way off to the south. Pretty good vertical development with them. 

12 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Maybe we all have a different opinion of what is a ratter, anything less than half of average with not even one biggie to me a ratter. What did you get in 21 Wolfie?

In 21 we had two big ones, one in Dec of of ‘20(16th into the 17th 12-18”), then another big one Feb 1st here…was a real good one(another 12-18”). Then another nice one where we picked up 8-9”  a week later(Feb 7th). I’d have to go back and look to see the exact amount I had for 21, but it was way over half of average.  21 was quite decent here.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Ah, ok - didn't realize they changed something.

That's actually a relief.  Thought I had accidentally consumed more than a micro-dose of fungi this morning.  

OH, I don't know if they did.  It may just be something about this air mass.   I just don't ever recall seeing that particular milky texture like that.   

I love how the convective elements are hole punching that lower level miasma when looping.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

In 21 we had two big ones, one in Dec of of ‘20(16th into the 17th), then another big one Feb 1st here…was a real good one. Then another nice one where we picked up 8-9”  a week later(Feb 7th). I’d have to go back and look to see the exact amount I had for 21, but it was way over half of average.  21 was quite decent here.  

Almost 43" here. Near avg or so. Maybe a bit under. OK.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t feel that way anymore. I used to. More shit going on in life for me to care about. Sure it’s disappointing, but I know warm season is coming up and lately that hasn’t disappointed. Perhaps too much rain this summer, but overall summer temps and SSTs going up. Works for me. 

Once your kids are grown you will probably hate winter. Mine's 19 but when she was around 10-12, that's when my interest and care dropped.

39 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Once your kids are grown you will probably hate winter. Mine's 19 but when she was around 10-12, that's when my interest and care dropped.

Maybe.  We're in grandkid mode and they all love the stuff.  (And their SNJ area never had the ground fully white last cold season - "winter" should not be used for that one.)

Maybe we all have a different opinion of what is a ratter, anything less than half of average with not even one biggie to me a ratter. What did you get in 21 Wolfie?

Different for sure, as that threshold would be silly for CAR, where in 83 years they've never had a winter at 50% or lower.  My place averages 89" and probably only 3 of 25 winters were true ratters, 05-06 (52.8"), 15-16 (48.2") and 2021 (52.5").  4th lowest, 09-10, had exactly 12" more than 05-06 but had a far higher frustration factor than any of the bottom 3.

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

2015-2016 was pretty close to being a ratter here...borderline. But other than that, I have managed to dodge a true ratter since 2011-2012, however, I have had 5 consecutive and 8/9 subpar seasons since 2015.

But that is how my area is relative to most of SNE...less variance. I tend to be just far enough north to get porked in huge years, and pull out some NNE scraps to narrowly avoid ratters.

Yes and I am just far enough west, with just a low enough elevation, to get bent over the slab.  That’s why you and I often end up with similar snow totals.  At least you can occasionally cash on deform bands from coastal fronts. 

3 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

In 21 we had two big ones, one in Dec of of ‘20(16th into the 17th 12-18”), then another big one Feb 1st here…was a real good one(another 12-18”). Then another nice one where we picked up 8-9”  a week later(Feb 7th). I’d have to go back and look to see the exact amount I had for 21, but it was way over half of average.  21 was quite decent here.  

I remember that year now, I was never in the hot spot for the storms. I would be happy if I got what you did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

That's about the time I started to love it, not just for school days off but liked to play in it, shovel it, made some decent money when I was a kid shoveling walks and driveways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Fisher loves to pimp the warmth

Always.  But it hasn’t been real warm either.  So I mean it’s just been autumn in SNE.  Except for the first week(which was very warm-mid 80’s, the last blast of summer as Dendrite mentioned), it’s been cool to mild at times.  Nice weather during the work weeks lol.