Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

frcst was for clouds/shwrs in pwm. Currently partly sunny. 

Gray and October-y here, low 50s with dz.  Running slightly BN for precip, easy to do when the avg for Oct is 5.66", median 5.52", easily our wettest month.

(from tunafish)
supposed to do a first overnight camping with cub scouts Saturday.  Should be interesting.

Memories of my experience, both as a scout and as asst. scoutmaster.  It didn't rain every time (Feb 1969 we got caught at Allamuchy Scout Reservation by the "Mayor Lindsey" storm), but it seemed like it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KTBFFH1905 said:

Did my first fall clean up in the yard yesterday. My big oaks are still full of green leaves, but in my 5 years at the house I have never seen so many acorns. Anyone else have this going on? It means big dumps this winter right? :snowing:

Ya lots of acorns here too…lol if you believe the old folklore, then yes…means big winter incoming.   

7 minutes ago, KTBFFH1905 said:

Did my first fall clean up in the yard yesterday. My big oaks are still full of green leaves, but in my 5 years at the house I have never seen so many acorns. Anyone else have this going on? It means big dumps this winter right? :snowing:

Out of control this year with certain species. I read an article saying it could be related to what they call masting. Tamarack probably knows more about that. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

For every hundred acorns in your yard you get 1” of snow.

I look forward to my 50 foot depth this winter. because i have removed several million acorns from my yard over the past 8-10 weeks. every time it is windy, tons fall from the trees. I clean them up thinking-there can't be any more left in the tree. And then a week later, there are even more than there were before.

• Haha 3

Odd with the acorns. Typically it’s 3-6” per day here of acorns no matter the species. But this year there’s really not that many. There’s one species that is dropping a ton of those small, soft shelled acorns, but those big boy round ones with the acorn lids are almost non existent. Those are the ones the squirrels go after. Weird that MA and NH would be getting crushed but not CT 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Odd with the acorns. Typically it’s 3-6” per day here of acorns no matter the species. But this year there’s really not that many. There’s one species that is dropping a ton of those small, soft shelled acorns, but those big boy round ones with the acorn lids are almost non existent. Those are the ones the squirrels go after. Weird that MA and NH would be getting crushed but not CT 

So many of them here.  The most I've ever seen...But part of the issue may be that the neighbor relocates all of the squirrels now so they don't eat the bird seed.   :blink: :rolleyes: 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lots here Kev. I guess it’s a matter of where you are.  Our playground is just full of them. 

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I remember folks early last week saying, Maybe low 70’s for later this week…not gonna happen. 

Thats two weeks away…dont count the chickens yet…

Ha not saying it’s going to happen. Though most models seem to still have upper 60s to near 70F late this week?