• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

Mount Mansfield fell to 31F this morning, first 32F or lower of the season and second latest on record (Oct 19, 2021).

Some interesting stats:

From 1956-2000… first 32F or lower occurred in October only once!  It happened in August 7 times.

Since 2000… first 32F or lower has happened in October 7 times and 0 times in August.

Most eye opening is the 1956-2023 period average 32F or lower date is 9/15.  Since 2000 however, that first freeze has occurred prior to 9/15 only 4 out of 23 years.  19 of last 23 years it has after the long term mean of September 15th.

Growing season continues to extend in the means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We had under 3” in September and things dried out very well.

Have to wonder if that led to a better first round of color in higher elevations of the  Adirondacks into Greens compared to further south?

Would 2.75” in September vs 10-15” matter in foliage?

8BE8AA6F-515C-447E-B593-620D2A3D8B1D.jpeg.ee68b036f6abe3133261d0cb96b86612.jpeg

IDK but it would make sense. It’s been the worst foliage season that I can remember around here.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

IDK but it would make sense. It’s been the worst foliage season that I can remember around here.

It hasn’t been great and it’s been horrible since the last weekend rainstorm because it’s gone.

But we did have a 10 days of good, enjoyable color and largely above 1-1.5K feet.  The mid-slope hardwoods.  Some tree species went true red and orange.  It just came down real fast.  

It’s kinda like when all of New England sees a tough winter but there’s usually an area that wasn’t as bad relative to normal as others.  Maybe it’s putting lipstick on a pig when you get 80% of snowfall while most others get 50%?  

I know Jim Salge (formerly MWN and big foliage guy) had mentioned the high elevations in NNE lucked out the best with the first wave of color in later September, while the second wave isn’t coming like most years and everything else lower down and south has been almost non-existent.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I guess?  I dunno, I still thought there was some good enjoyable color before the big rainstorm.

That’s what I thought too. I left last Friday to drive to southern NH and thought there was some decent color. Came back Sunday evening and it was all just a memory. 

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Awesome weekend incoming. Quite the change from what was thought a week ago. 
Dry. Some sun.  Good temps 

Heading to Portsmouth 

A little more sun and warmer would be nice. All in all i can't complain from what was forecast earlier in the week.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Mount Mansfield fell to 31F this morning, first 32F or lower of the season and second latest on record (Oct 19, 2021).

Some interesting stats:

From 1956-2000… first 32F or lower occurred in October only once!  It happened in August 7 times.

Since 2000… first 32F or lower has happened in October 7 times and 0 times in August.

Most eye opening is the 1956-2023 period average 32F or lower date is 9/15.  Since 2000 however, that first freeze has occurred prior to 9/15 only 4 out of 23 years.  19 of last 23 years it has after the long term mean of September 15th.

Growing season continues to extend in the means.

That’s why I roll with the warm season. You can’t fight back the tide.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kdxken said:

Oh look! Our Forester :D Another question for you, how much experience do you have with Armillaria mellea? The woods are alive with the stuff. Not only the oaks.  The ground is covered with honey mushrooms.

Here is the base of a seemingly perfectly healthy sweet birch.

20231010_101718.jpg

Surprisingly little specific experience, though it's likely a significant factor in butt rot throughout the forest.  I can't recall seeing the fruiting bodies as shown in the pic.  Apparently, vigorous trees can often limit spread of the fungus and are thus tolerant, while stressed trees are quite vulnerable.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We had under 3” in September and things dried out very well.

Have to wonder if that led to a better first round of color in higher elevations of the  Adirondacks into Greens compared to further south?

Would 2.75” in September vs 10-15” matter in foliage?

8BE8AA6F-515C-447E-B593-620D2A3D8B1D.jpeg.ee68b036f6abe3133261d0cb96b86612.jpeg

Those yellow dots in southern franklin County really stand out, and they're the result of one relatively brief event.  On the evening of Sept 13, Temple and 2 Farmington sites had between 3.25" and 3.35" in less than 3 hours, causing some localized washouts, while my gauge 5-10 miles east had only 0.30".  Heading into town about 6:15, I wished for a 3rd gear in the wipers and had to slow to 15 mph, and the oft-seen puddle in front of Giffords and McD was quite deep as I slowly drove thru about 8 PM that night.