• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another big Sept rain event between roughly midnight Friday morning and midnight Sunday morning (bulk 9/29-30/2023)

wdrag

Just now, jm1220 said:

You can see on the radar how this setup works-the smaller cells firing up over the ocean and heading NW, then exploding into the firehose when they reach the inverted trough. 

You can also see the flow from the SW into the trough from central NJ.  Very interesting event that is unfolding here.

Water quality in the ocean is going to be terrible the next few days from any junk floating away in the floodwaters. I remember after both Henri and Ida seeing the beaches in NJ littered with trash, clumped up toilet paper and wet wipes, as well as pharmaceuticals too. Not a good time as fishing/surfing is getting good again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SACRUS said:

Been trying to look at that as well.  Let me know if you figure it out first.

I went back in Pivotal wx to 12z Tue PW 1.6" which definitely sagged south and then acquired more PW east of the Carolinas and has since bulged north to LI as of 06z/29 EC op.  EPS ens do not have PW on National scale. 

Reflux works for me  but without the detail needed to confirm via soundings, trajectories. I don't want to upset anyone about this, but points well taken earlier.

Looking ahead...I won't reflux what happens Oct 5-8.

• Like 1

As the rainfall graphic below shows, the amount of rain east of the Hudson in NYC/SENY and just off the NJ coast (except some very heavy rains at the immediate coast and just into NJ across from the Hudson) has been incredible, with the following highlights from the story linked below. There will likely be parts of that area that get 7-9" of rain, which is 2 months worth in one day.  

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/29/weather/new-york-city-northeast-rain-flood-forecast-climate-friday/index.html

• In Brooklyn: A month’s worth of rain, up to 4.5 inches, fell in only 3 hours on Friday morning, according to National Weather Service data. This three-hour rainfall total is only expected about once every 100 years in Brooklyn, according to NOAA estimates.
  • In Manhattan: Nearly 2 inches of rain fell in one hour in Central Park, the second-wettest hour there in 80 years. More than 5 inches of rain have fallen there so far.
  • In Queens: It’s a top-10 wettest day at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where more than 4 inches of rain has fallen since midnight.

image.thumb.png.c43cc89b9330c65360cf76cc40b933ef.png

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As the rainfall graphic below shows, the amount of rain east of the Hudson in NYC/SENY and just off the NJ coast (except some very heavy rains at the immediate coast and just into NJ across from the Hudson) has been incredible, with the following highlights from the story linked below. There will likely be parts of that area that get 7-9" of rain, which is 2 months worth in one day.  

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/29/weather/new-york-city-northeast-rain-flood-forecast-climate-friday/index.html

• In Brooklyn: A month’s worth of rain, up to 4.5 inches, fell in only 3 hours on Friday morning, according to National Weather Service data. This three-hour rainfall total is only expected about once every 100 years in Brooklyn, according to NOAA estimates.
  • In Manhattan: Nearly 2 inches of rain fell in one hour in Central Park, the second-wettest hour there in 80 years. More than 5 inches of rain have fallen there so far.
  • In Queens: It’s a top-10 wettest day at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where more than 4 inches of rain has fallen since midnight.

image.thumb.png.c43cc89b9330c65360cf76cc40b933ef.png

This is insane and the radar from JFK to Mid nassau is exploding now...