Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

6 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Nothing severe with the storm just rolled through but it seemed the strongest went to the northeast of me. A lot of thunder with that cell though. 0.01 in the gauge. 

This storm over on the other side of the river from you has stalled right here it looks like it's going to lighten up a little bit and move on and then out of nowhere The wind kicks up again  with more rain and lightning strikes

• Like 1

Posted this in the severe thread, but i'll put it here-

Well that was interesting. Thought I could beat it when I left work, and drove straight into it a few miles south of my house. Wind driven torrential rain, lots of small debris and some big branches down. Plenty of T&L. My driveway is a river. Appears this blew up right on the doorstep from the outflow from the initial line. 1.73".

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Bodhi Cove said:

This storm over on the other side of the river from you has stalled right here it looks like it's going to lighten up a little bit and move on and then out of nowhere The wind kicks up again  with more rain and lightning strikes

I was watching the storm that was up your way. Pretty constant thunder with that storm. After it passed, could see some faint mammatus clouds to the North too. 

After the second storm moved through, it dropped the temps to lows 70s and a nice breeze which made it nice out to do some work outside. 

0.12 for the day. 

Lol.  Another day where the same areas get deluged and the usual are sunny, dry, and hot.  Noticing a lot of trees dropping leaves around here.  Everything that is not being irrigated is already burned to a crisp.  And now we head into 4 days of upper 90s.  There will be nothing left.  This is the driest I have ever seen this place, and that is saying something. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Lol.  Another day where the same areas get deluged and the usual are sunny, dry, and hot.  Noticing a lot of trees dropping leaves around here.  Everything that is not being irrigated is already burned to a crisp.  And now we head into 4 days of upper 90s.  There will be nothing left.  This is the driest I have ever seen this place, and that is saying something. 

:(

• Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I’ve noticed premature browning/yellow of a lot of leafs here as well. Cant tell you how much I’ve missed rainy/cloudy days lol. 

going to be a very disappointing fall leaf season!!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

I’ve noticed premature browning/yellow of a lot of leafs here as well. Cant tell you how much I’ve missed rainy/cloudy days lol. 

going to be a very disappointing fall leaf season!!!!

You'll need to go the southern part of the Shenandoah Valley for good foliage this year.  Simply astounding the difference in conditions this summer.

I don’t recall such a persistent lack of southerly component to the overall pattern. Seems like almost every system is acting like a clipper with the same general impacts as what we’d receive in the winter…hit/miss and showery east of the mountains instead of a clean region-wide hit. I know I’m generalizing as summer isn’t the time of year that we get a storm from the TN Valley and some areas have done well with precip lately, but even on radar the storms have typically been w/nw to e/se in their path.

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

My niece in southern AA Co has flooding in her yard and her veggie garden is being swamped.  I cannot believe the difference in rainfall from one part of our region to another

Welcome to convection season. Without a regionwide trigger, it's few who feast while many suffer through famine.

2 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I can confirm. Lawn makes it look like I live in Arizona, not Virginia. Few trees here and there are yellowing/browning prematurely. Too soon. 

• Like 1

With this (thankfully) short-lived heat wave coming I saw there's been just one 95 degree day so far (DCA).  I remember the infamous summer of 1980 so I checked it out -- 28 days 95-plus and six 100-plus!  10 of the first 11 days of Aug were 95-plus with two 100s, and the one other day was 94.  Man that was bad.  And we didn't have AC!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic