Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

wow you're right...that's some pretty good llvl wind shear there. Also looks like we could get a plume of steeper lapse rates to work in. 

The shear we had in the region this last Friday afternoon was impressive.  Don't know what the bulk values were, but directional. This summer so far has seen a lot of that....where you have a WSW or SW motion in the higher elevations of CBs leaning over SSE BL flow.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think the point is we’re now the old mid Atlantic dew wise but it’s still obviously more oppressive there.  A/C is an absolute necessity in all of sne below 2k.   Before anyone sells their home, put it in-it’s now expected.   When my wife and were first together 31 years ago, we used ac on some nights.   A/C has been on continuously this summer.   

No we are not the old Mid-Atlantic dew they ave 65 forever we average 60/61 forever. Fact

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think the point is we’re now the old mid Atlantic dew wise but it’s still obviously more oppressive there.  A/C is an absolute necessity in all of sne below 2k.   Before anyone sells their home, put it in-it’s now expected.   When my wife and were first together 31 years ago, we used ac on some nights.   A/C has been on continuously this summer.   

Would agree-my neighborhood was built in the 1970's with none of the houses having central air...now they all do.   dews above 70 were rare here back then, today they are common....houses without CAC sell for less for sure

19 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Would agree-my neighborhood was built in the 1970's with none of the houses having central air...now they all do.   dews above 70 were rare here back then, today they are common....houses without CAC sell for less for sure

Same around here, all new houses have ac, whether it's a high priced home or a starter home.

28 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Even up here, now most have mini-splits or central air put in.  It does feel more humid than it did a decade ago but it could be more on the mind lately.

Part of it is that our society is less and less ok with being uncomfortable.  We are less accepting of being uncomfortable and technology has allowed it easier to get efficient, quiet A/C that wasn’t as readily available 10-20 years ago.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m not sure what they average but I grew up in NJ.   It’s generally as humid or more here now.  Fact.

Just looking at averages , July is a degree warmer in Boston. June is a wash and August .5 Would take an exceptional human to notice. We are only talking dews not RH

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Even up here, now most have mini-splits or central air put in.  It does feel more humid than it did a decade ago but it could be more on the mind lately.

Part of it is that our society is less and less ok with being uncomfortable.  We are less accepting of being uncomfortable and technology has allowed it easier to get efficient, quiet A/C that wasn’t as readily available 10-20 years ago.

This certainly plays a role....

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just looking at averages , July is a degree warmer in Boston. June is a wash and August .5 Would take an exceptional human to notice. We are only talking dews not RH

I know.  I happen to be a follower of wx since age 6-70 years ago.   Normal max hasn’t changed much in any season.  But dews are higher.   When I was a kid, dews 60-65 were considered humid, 65-70 very humid, and 70+ oppressive.  70+ was quite rare in NJ in my growing up years.

The other thing that’s noticeable.. dews in the 60’s are now called dry and comfortable by folks on this board , when in fact that is humid. A dew over is humid yet we now have that called COc k and folks opening windows and saying fans are fine . So the average New Englander has now acclimated to high dews . This is all part of the dew shift north 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I remember my parents getting their first air conditioned car in the mid 1970s, before that, there was no AC in most cars.  Before cars with AC I remember they had front driver and passenger footwell vents that would blow dust and dirt into the cabin when you opened them at speed.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

It doesn’t take an exceptional human to notice the high mins. There’s been like 2 “windows open” nights in all of July. Worcester is +4.8 on avg lows for July. Believe me, I notice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I know.  I happen to be a follower of wx since age 6-70 years ago.   Normal max hasn’t changed much in any season.  But dews are higher.   When I was a kid, dews 60-65 were considered humid, 65-70 very humid, and 70+ oppressive.  70+ was quite rare in NJ in my growing up years.

Likewise here, as you know.  I can recall temps occasionally still in the 80s at midnight, but without a good hygrometer I had no way of knowing dewpoints.  I watched probably thousands of Tex Antione's forecasts and never recall Uncle Wethbee quoting dews.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Weather_or_Not said:

It doesn’t take an exceptional human to notice the high mins. There’s been like 2 “windows open” nights in all of July. Worcester is +4.8 on avg lows for July. Believe me, I notice.

Even relative humidity is flattened. We were talking dews not temps and over a period of a 120 years not a month. Yes this July has been very hot all can agree. The initial point that we are now what the Middle Atlantic used to be is poppycock

network_MA_ASOS__station_BOS__season_summer__varname_relh__agg_mean__year_1893__w_violin___r_t__dpi_100.png

network_MD_ASOS__station_BWI__season_summer__varname_relh__agg_mean__year_1893__w_violin___r_t__dpi_100.png

network_MD_ASOS__station_BWI__season_summer__varname_dwpf__agg_mean__year_1893__w_violin___r_t__dpi_100.png

network_MA_ASOS__station_BOS__season_summer__varname_dwpf__agg_mean__year_1893__w_violin___r_t__dpi_100.png

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Dews are higher by a half degree and you noticed? Maybe your body as a kid was just a tad different.  I mean the stats don't Lie

network_MA_ASOS__station_BOS__season_summer__varname_dwpf__agg_mean__year_1893__w_violin___r_t__dpi_100.png.db07e2910907fa0c7aed7b0b1ea9fd1d.png

• Like 1