Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

nam_2023072506_063_42.56--71.91.png

I've always been curious as to how that "Possible Hazard Type" is calculated. I kind of hate it actually :lol: 

I mean that sounding to me doesn't scream tornado. The combination of speed/directional wind shear and instability do indicate should a thunderstorm become mature enough to utilize these dynamics it could certainly produce a tornado. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've always been curious as to how that "Possible Hazard Type" is calculated. I kind of hate it actually :lol: 

I mean that sounding to me doesn't scream tornado. The combination of speed/directional wind shear and instability do indicate should a thunderstorm become mature enough to utilize these dynamics it could certainly produce a tornado. 

12z 3k

nam4km_2023072512_057_42.14--72.66.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

12z 3k

nam4km_2023072512_057_42.14--72.66.png

Now that's a better tornado wind profile :lol: 

Although LCL is a bit high with an inverted V look which would reduce potential somewhat. 

anyways though, not trying to downplay anything. That is one potent s/w which moves right across the region with unseasonably strong dynamics. What we really need to watch are the lapse rates. H5 is a bit on the warm side (-7C) as is H7 (+10C) and this shows up well with those warm bubbles on the soundings. If we can get lapse rates even 6.5 C/KM this could be a widespread event consisting of swaths of wind damage. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

If only every athlete had the demeanor as him. We all know that isn't the case and that's what makes breeds like him special. 

He was one tough SOB when it came to playing injured, His locker room presence is going to be sorely missed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Yup looks good for some storms today. Was waiting to see a marginal get tossed out there. Not sure I'll be able to get to BDL but I am remote today so it's possible. But my girlfriend also has day one of her BAR exam today and will be in need of moral support. 

Good luck to her. It’s a beast but most get through it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Good luck to her. It’s a beast but most get through it. 

I could never in a million year do what folks have to do to prepare for the bar exam. This is her second go around on the exam, she took it just before we met in 2021. But she got additional resources this go around and feels much more confident. But it's like 8 hours of studying a day for 2 months straight :yikes: 6-7 hours of testing today followed by another 6-7 hours tomorrow :wacko2:

• Like 2

Just now, ma blizzard said:

NAM doing NAM things with those dews? mid 70s? 

Dew points should sky rocket through the day Thursday with a pretty impressive surge of llvl theta-e air moving in. Dews of 72-74 I think should be relatively easy to achieve. Maybe 75-76 towards the coastal Plain. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Dew points should sky rocket through the day Thursday with a pretty impressive surge of llvl theta-e air moving in. Dews of 72-74 I think should be relatively easy to achieve. Maybe 75-76 towards the coastal Plain. 

This shit ends next weekend, thankfully....pattern change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

I mean I think you’re off on the dews, anything over 70 was humid and 50-60’s slightly uncomfortable. When you have lows at night in there 50’s and low 60’s that’s not too uncomfortable with the windows open. Being in S FL for a few years gives you an appreciation of what Heat and dews are like.

Thanks, almost threw up listening to @CT Rainstation this am; when did “feels like” temp trump actual forecast temp? I mean I get it, feels like temp sells better on the morning and evening news.  Stop already, feels like is extremely subjective but I guess feels like 98 sells better than an actual temp of 88.

The NWS uses it to determine what gets a heat advisory or warning so it's not totally a media invention lol

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Now that's a better tornado wind profile :lol: 

Although LCL is a bit high with an inverted V look which would reduce potential somewhat. 

anyways though, not trying to downplay anything. That is one potent s/w which moves right across the region with unseasonably strong dynamics. What we really need to watch are the lapse rates. H5 is a bit on the warm side (-7C) as is H7 (+10C) and this shows up well with those warm bubbles on the soundings. If we can get lapse rates even 6.5 C/KM this could be a widespread event consisting of swaths of wind damage. 

LCLs are extremely low on that sounding.

• Like 2

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Just a short break actually. We go back with trough over the lakes so more high dews .won’t be hot but it’ll be wet , stormy and you’ll be using a roll per sitting after a few drier days early next week 

I knew that would elicit a response from you. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The NWS uses it to determine what gets a heat advisory or warning so it's not totally a media invention lol

I don't see why some get all bent out of shape with using feels like temperature or communicating the heat index. I mean when it's hot and dew points start getting up there (70+) that puts a lot of stress on humans (and animals). Someone may see 88 and go it's "only 88" but if the humidity is very high and it feels closer to 100...yeah that's going to add stress to our systems. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

LCLs are extremely low on that sounding.

ha you're right :lol: 

Not sure what I was doing there.