Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Biggest temperature acclimation memory I have was Feb 2015.  Felt like it had been between 10F and -35F for like weeks.  I distinctly remember a day with a high of like 21F that felt like it was full-on spring.  Everyone skiing and showing their faces, actual exposed skin, ha.  Everyone was so happy and warm.  And yet it was still only like low-20s.

Feb 2015 was strange in several ways.  It's the coldest Feb by 1.9° at the Farmington co-op (records back thru 1893), but that month's lowest of -18 doesn't even approach the coldest 20 Feb mornings.  Feb 15's coldest maxima of 4° also fails to breach the coldest 20.   It was the almost total lack of warmth throughout the month that set the record, rather than any record-shattering cold blast.  Dec 1989 is a bit similar, with the month mean coldest by 4.3° (how many SDs below avg is that?) but its coldest mornings tied for 10th place.  Dec 89's coldest mean temp was -7; Dec 30, 1917 had a mean of -23.5 (the co-op's coldest daily mean by 3.5°).

In other news, those poor people in the southwest part of Franklin County got hit again by downpours.  Some roads haven't been repaired from the June 29 5-6" cloudburst and now another 3"+ deluge hits.  Though not as widespread as the earlier storm, yesterday's event took out several roads in Jay and East Dixfield, perhaps some only recently repaired.

We listened to distant thunder and got 0.03".  Despite all the rainy days and AN number of days with thunder this year, we get missed by anything beyond what happened yesterday.  For the year, we've had only one strike closer than 5 miles and that was about 2.5.  (Our thunder-averse Lab mix would like things to stay that way.)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I could never in a million year do what folks have to do to prepare for the bar exam. This is her second go around on the exam, she took it just before we met in 2021. But she got additional resources this go around and feels much more confident. But it's like 8 hours of studying a day for 2 months straight :yikes: 6-7 hours of testing today followed by another 6-7 hours tomorrow :wacko2:

:yikes: That's tougher than Maine's forester license exam, which is 4 hours morning and 4 more afternoon.  During my 10 years on the license board, I proctored 4 exams, about 40 applicants in total.  Not one put down their pencil before the end of the morning segment (biology and measurements) and only one finished the PM segment (management and policy) as much as 30 minutes before time's up, with 4-5 others handing in their exam 5-10 minutes early.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2015/Feb into early March strung some 14 days in a row that were between 15 and 22 for a high temperature around my area of SNE.   I distinctly recall ...day after day, yup... look at the dashboard temp and there was again, 19F, for two weeks.   And the cold that late winter didn't relent in any hurry... I recall the season opener at Fenway was in the 30s!

39 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

If there was a 3 degree dewpoint increase since 1980 it would be reflected. You still haven't produced your source. Try again

i'm not your math teacher. if you don't understand what mean distribution is then you shouldn't post the graph

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

New FFW for Springfield 

"Slowed" down here over the past few minutes but some pink pixels just to the west again. 

My girlfriend came back home for lunch (since the exam is literally 1 minute up the road) and as soon as she pulled in the driveway it started coming down so she had to drive back in it :lol: