Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I grew up swimming and sailing on Buzzards Bay.  By the end of August it can be like bathwater.  The bay heats up more efficiently and holds the heat longer.

As a kid I remember people saying there’s a side branch of gulf stream water that flows into the bay and helps it heat up but I don’t know if that is true or not.

I will say this, the beaches in North Falmouth and Cataumet are amazing in September. There is nobody there and the water temperature is still in the 70s.

Yeah, I spent literally hundreds or thousands of days at Chappa and Old Silver.  My favorite was always Woodneck, few if any crowds and has that cool little inlet.  But any of the Buzzards Bay side beaches are pretty good

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

yeah water snakes have red, especially underneath. 

Water snakes I saw in NNJ eons ago had red makings that slightly resembled the pattern on copperheads, especially if the water snake had just shed its skin.  I lost count of the "copperhead" sightings I checked out during my teens/early 20s.  A few were bull snakes or even garter snakes but 90% were water snakes.  Only in the hot dry summer of 1966 did I see actual copperheads (all having been dispatched before I viewed them) and the color was not even close, with the viper having an alternating light/medium rust color while water snakes had red alternating with black or dark brown.  Biggest water snake I encountered was closer to 4 feet than 5, and the only one that was aggressive was half that long.  I'd thrown a rock on/near it, doing little harm (it was in 2 feet of water) but as I picked it up it bit me, leaving a little tooth in my finger.  Can't blame the snake for that.

Rain stopped by 9 this morning, had ~10 minutes of sun a bit after 2 PM and it's trying to come out at present.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I grew up swimming and sailing on Buzzards Bay.  By the end of August it can be like bathwater.  The bay heats up more efficiently and holds the heat longer.

As a kid I remember people saying there’s a side branch of gulf stream water that flows into the bay and helps it heat up but I don’t know if that is true or not.

I will say this, the beaches in North Falmouth and Cataumet are amazing in September. There is nobody there and the water temperature is still in the 70s.

No ... it's because of the sewer piping in

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Water snakes I saw in NNJ eons ago had red makings that slightly resembled the pattern on copperheads, especially if the water snake had just shed its skin.  I lost count of the "copperhead" sightings I checked out during my teens/early 20s.  A few were bull snakes or even garter snakes but 90% were water snakes.  Only in the hot dry summer of 1966 did I see actual copperheads (all having been dispatched before I viewed them) and the color was not even close, with the viper having an alternating light/medium rust color while water snakes had red alternating with black or dark brown.  Biggest water snake I encountered was closer to 4 feet than 5, and the only one that was aggressive was half that long.  I'd thrown a rock on/near it, doing little harm (it was in 2 feet of water) but as I picked it up it bit me, leaving a little tooth in my finger.  Can't blame the snake for that.

Rain stopped by 9 this morning, had ~10 minutes of sun a bit after 2 PM and it's trying to come out at present.

We also have corn snakes that look black with a irregular white patterns like that, too.    Saw one nearly 7' in length crossing the road over the brook. Very menacing looking but ultimately pretty harmless. They can also be brown and white banded, too. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Have you guys gone to the Lobster Trap on Shore Rd in Bourne? Good eats, on the water but go early, they jam.   Having a drink on the lawn at the Chart Room is fun too. 

Have not been there. This is the current look after getting back from the biiiaattchhh . Think we going the Boat House tonight for brews and dinner. 

YrnZ4n9.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah, I spent literally hundreds or thousands of days at Chappa and Old Silver.  My favorite was always Woodneck, few if any crowds and has that cool little inlet.  But any of the Buzzards Bay side beaches are pretty good

Is Woodneck the one near Quissett harbor and the “knob”? 
Black Beach is frickin’ amazing but only accessible by boat.  It’s got a saltwater river that you can float down or up with the tide. 

50 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Is Woodneck the one near Quissett harbor and the “knob”? 
Black Beach is frickin’ amazing but only accessible by boat.  It’s got a saltwater river that you can float down or up with the tide. 

It's close to there, it's Sippewisset (sp.)  Don't remember Black Beach exactly but sure I've been there.  Old Silver has a tidal marsh, as a kid used to love sitting in a tube letting the tide take me in or out.

Further east, GOES-E Visible imagery shows increasing convective

vigor with a few additional stronger cells over the lower Hudson

Valley starting to move into CT. Persistent southwesterly low to

mid-level WAA has been providing moisture flux through this area

into Southern New England with total PWat values increasing from

1.75 toward 2" in the next few hours. Additionally, fairly clear

skies has allowed for increasing instability up to 1500-2000 J/kg

across CT int RI. As such, convection will likely strengthen and

broaden in coverage (both cells and downdraft area). Forward

speeds are slow, but will start to slacken after 00z as a new

850mb pivot/low shifts toward the Hudson Valley, backing steering

flow increasing duration across southern New England for potential

for spots of 1.5-2.5" though 03z. There is some uncertainty, but

initial band/round of cells and upstream advection of

moisture/low-level heating may allow for additional scattered

cells to form upstream and repeat through areas hit by the first

round. As such and in combination with 1-3" that fell last

evening (across S New England)130, grounds may be prone to

scattered incidents of flash flooding tonight.  

4 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

It's close to there, it's Sippewisset (sp.)  Don't remember Black Beach exactly but sure I've been there.  Old Silver has a tidal marsh, as a kid used to love sitting in a tube letting the tide take me in or out.

The Old Silver tidal marsh used to connect to the one at New Silver (the Wild Harbor River).  I remember going on an adventure with friends and canoeing the length of it when I was about 12 or 13.  The 1980s “rape the cape” development ruined part of that feature.  :unsure:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

Further east, GOES-E Visible imagery shows increasing convective

vigor with a few additional stronger cells over the lower Hudson

Valley starting to move into CT. Persistent southwesterly low to

mid-level WAA has been providing moisture flux through this area

into Southern New England with total PWat values increasing from

1.75 toward 2" in the next few hours. Additionally, fairly clear

skies has allowed for increasing instability up to 1500-2000 J/kg

across CT int RI. As such, convection will likely strengthen and

broaden in coverage (both cells and downdraft area). Forward

speeds are slow, but will start to slacken after 00z as a new

850mb pivot/low shifts toward the Hudson Valley, backing steering

flow increasing duration across southern New England for potential

for spots of 1.5-2.5" though 03z. There is some uncertainty, but

initial band/round of cells and upstream advection of

moisture/low-level heating may allow for additional scattered

cells to form upstream and repeat through areas hit by the first

round. As such and in combination with 1-3" that fell last

evening (across S New England)130, grounds may be prone to

scattered incidents of flash flooding tonight.  

What is this from?

3 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

Does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I almost stepped on it trying to take a different picture and happened to look down and it scared the crap out of me lol 

IMG_5604.jpg

it’s not a water snake. The official name is Nope Rope.

• Haha 1

BOX says meh. next

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...
Overall theme of the ongoing forecast continues. Did tweak
rainfall chances and timing this evening using the latest runs
of a time-lagged HRRR ensemble and the latest NationalBlend
output. Storms from earlier this evening struggled to make it
all the way to the east coast of New England intact. Mixed layer
CAPE values drop sharply from about I-495 to the coast.
Expecting this trend to continue. Thinking there will be some
thunderstorms overnight, just not very strong ones.

The greatest concern for the overnight remains the high humidity
and potential for downpours. Much of the area within the Flood
Watch across southern New England saw significant rainfall
yesterday. Many small waterways were running higher, meaning it
will take less rainfall to start seeing problems where heavy
rainfall develops, especially if it moves slowly.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That seems warm for the Atlantic up there but I have no idea.  I feel like we used to go later in August and it’d be like 65F even then.

Things have definitely changed, especially here in Casco Bay.  When I was a kid in the 90s the temp would struggle to hit 60 on the beaches by late August.  Now, the temp will touch 70 or higher every August.  I'd guess we're currently at 62-64, even with the upwelling yesterday.

• Like 2