Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2023

Stormlover74

12 hours ago, MANDA said:

Anyone remember or know what the heat indexes were around here during the great heat burst during the summer of 1995?  This was the year 700+ people died in Chicago as HI rose to near 130 and in some cases even higher for several days.  DP's reached the m/u 80's with ambient temps of near or over 100.  To my memory that is the worst heat I have ever felt here in NJ.  I remember it was over a weekend around here and the air was beyond stifling.  Not a puff of air.  I don't think I can ever remember it feeling so uncomfortable.  Have no recollection of what the heat index readings were around here but my guess would be 108-112?  I'm fairly certain temperatures were in the upper 90's to just over 100.  Anyone else remember? 

`1993 was actually much hotter for us and the summer of record from the 90s.

12 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

It was 129 at one point briefly at ewr. 99 with an 84 dewpoint

Screenshot_20230726_144039_Chrome.jpg

I believe the highest heat indices we've had here were 117 back in 1999 when we hit 100+ back to back days in early July.

I'd much rather have high temps than high humidity, high temperatures get much more attention than high dew points do and summers are measured on temperatures not humidity.

29 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Forecast highs have been lowered by a few degrees, so maybe not quite as bad as it looked.

Well if you were expecting 100+ then that's definitely out but mid 90s (locally higher) and dews in the 70s will still lead to pretty oppressive conditions. 

On the plus side there's some spectacular weather on the other side of this (Sunday onward). Actually it may even be too cool for summer lovers. 

• Like 1

The last 5 days of July are averaging    83degs.(74/92) or +5.

Month to date is   79.1[+1.6].        July should end at   79.7[+2.1].

Reached 83 here yesterday at 4pm.

Today:  91-96, wind w. to s. and breezy, variable clouds, Rain by 5pm., 78 by tomorrow AM.

76*(95%RH) here at 7am{was 74 earlier}.     79* at 9am.      81* at 10am.      84* at 11am{H.I. of 96}.    86* at Noon{H.I. of 98}.      88* at 1pm.{H.I. of 101}.     89* at 3pm and still H.I. at 101     91* at 3:30pm{H.I. 103}      92* at 4pm{103 H.I.}    93* at 5pm{H.I. 106}   Reached  94* at 5:30pm-still 106.        92* at 7pm

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Low of 75 today. So much for the big heat wave. High of 93 now. Already hit 94 this year, weak.

Need a nice W wind on top of the heat dome, looks like we are going to get SW winds with possible storms.  That’s not going to cut it for big heat, at least along the coast.  Maybe mid August we get one more chance for big heat this summer.   It’ll be brutal regardless with DPs of mid 70s and temp in the low 90s.

Just now, uofmiami said:

Need a nice W wind on top of the heat dome, looks like we are going to get SW winds with possible storms.  That’s not going to cut it for big heat, at least along the coast.  Maybe mid August we get one more chance for big heat this summer.   It’ll be brutal regardless with DPs of mid 70s and temp in the low 90s.

We probably still get over 100 today with the heat index from the onshore flow from well above average waters. But yeah-our heat waves where we get over 95 come on westerly downslope flow. 

• Like 1

84/ 75.  Partly sunny and very warm. Clouds from PA storms around and we'll see how cloudy it gets.  Hot one on tap, mid / upper 90s, pending on clouds and any showers/storms some of the hot spots could touch near 100 but think we'll be  a bit below ,97/98.  Some scattered storms later mainly north along the periphery of the flexing W. Atl Ridge and hook to flow the western strong heat into the area.  Fri (7/28) continued hot as peak of heat is ushered in 850 MB temperatures > 18cwith scattered or isolated storms in the pm.  More mid - upper 90s and near records heat.  Sat (7/30) continue very hot 850 MB temperatures get to 20c with mid / upper 90s.  Caveat for 100 degree readings will be timing of the front as the W. Atl Ridge contracts, clouds from storms to the west and north could get in the way of exceeding upper 90s.  The front does come through by the overnight into Sunday with storms.  Sunday (7/30) dries out and is down near normal into the 80s.

Kind of a back and forth near normal / dry 7/30 - 8/2 before steaming and warming back up Thu (8/3) - Sat (8/5) before next front.

The western Atlantic Ridge expanding west with western ridge sustained forces a more humid and increases storm chances southerly flow with trough backing into the GL.  Looks to go overall warm and storms chances by the second week of next month.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif 

• Like 2