• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

Showers and mild tstorms overnight in the wee hours.   Now the sun is breaking out at times.   Summery for sure.  Heading to Pittsburgh over the weekend into next week before returning home late week.  Better storms likely both en route and in one of my absolute favorite cities.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

Speaking of humidity, down here the Td will not drop below 70F till September or October.
This past week has had Td's around 80F, combine that with temps 90-95F, Heat Index 105-110F.
Even now T92 Td 80 it's brutal but get used to it.

Better this week, DPs are mixing down in the afternoon, but last week, Central Texas had temps over 100*F and DPs near 80F in the afternoon.  Yesterday in Houston, afternoon dews mixed down into the upper 60s. 

Apples and oranges to New England, my grandmother didn't have AC.  Early days in New England, I don't remember real summer heat before July.  July 4th, looking at the GFS, around 90*F in New England except right on the beaches.  

• Like 1

"Real summer heat"   It gets in the 90s in April ... :blink:   How hot does it have to be in order to subjectively be real?

It's a matter of frequency, only.   Some years you do it earlier ... some later.  Granted, the longer termed mean argues the return rate increases from April --> May --> June, such that it's rarer in Apr compared to the June or July.  

There's no other reality.  This year we've been all over the place with real heat in April and May, and a wet June preventative - by and large.  That's all.  Nothing more, nothing less.

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Around a half inch overnight. Much welcomed but still the lowest on the totem pole. 

This is a good thing.  With the chance of showers and thunderstorms and heavy downpours every day for a week, I think we really want to try to stay on the low end. So far I feel very lucky in that I’m getting enough rain to keep everything wet, but no flooding so far. As always, my concern is for the tomatoes.

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

"Real summer heat"   It gets in the 90s in April ... :blink:   How hot does it have to be in order to subjectively be real?

It's a matter of frequency, only.   Some years you do it earlier ... some later.  Granted, the longer termed mean argues the return rate increases from April --> May --> June, such that it's rarer in Apr compared to the June or July.  

There's no other reality.  This year we've been all over the place with real heat in April and May, and a wet June preventative - by and large.  That's all.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah… Many of our hottest ambient temps have come in months like May in NNE over the past 5-10 years.

We’ll pop a run of like 92-95F at NNE ASOS stations in May with buds on the trees and dew points of 38F lol.  Then the rest of summer struggles to hit 90-91F.

Tamarack seems like he records his hottest temps annually prior to full leaf out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

This is a good thing.  With the chance of showers and thunderstorms and heavy downpours every day for a week, I think we really want to try to stay on the low end. So far I feel very lucky in that I’m getting enough rain to keep everything wet, but no flooding so far. As always, my concern is for the tomatoes.

My pawpaws crave water so I could use a little more. WNE getting crushed again. 

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah… Many of our hottest ambient temps have come in months like May in NNE over the past 5-10 years.

We’ll pop a run of like 92-95F at NNE ASOS stations in May with buds on the trees and dew points of 38F lol.  Then the rest of summer struggles to hit 90-91F.

Tamarack seems like he records his hottest temps annually prior to full leaf out.

Certainly true in recent years, though June has consistently notched the most 90+ days.  Combo of tall dews plus busy forest all around makes big heat a tough sell.  The mid-August hot spell (8 days with maxima 87+ and 3 90+) of 2002 had modest dews - avg temp for that streak was 89/58, and IIRC, TD never got above 60.
Farther north, CAR has touched their hottest, 96, thrice, once in May and twice in June.  Not a coincidence.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

My pawpaws crave water so I could use a little more. WNE getting crushed again. 

I think your paws are going to get plenty of water. Meanwhile, the sun has come out and we continue to get better than forecast reality. Very good for the garden going to water but then the sun and the wind dry things out a bit.

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

Oh yeah I'm not saying they weren't decent storms, but literally everywhere else in the U.S. those are "garden variety".  Garden variety = NE severe I guess?

For my experience a thunderstorm like what went through here early this morning is probably once every year or two.  So far this season we have had a good number of smaller thunderstorms. The last week or so especially.  

Legit severe is super rare in SNE.  

Other parts of the country laugh at most of our thunderstorms.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For my experience a thunderstorm like what went through here early this morning is probably once every year or two.  So far this season we have had a good number of smaller thunderstorms. The last week or so especially.  

Legit severe is super rare in SNE.  

Other parts of the country laugh at most of our thunderstorms.  

Yeah but that doesn't mean they weren't absolutely average storms.  Even by SNE standards, a bunch of lightning and heavy rain isn't a huge deal.  Anyway I'm over it lol

• Like 2