Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Next week features less troughing and more WSW flow at 500, but still shows signs of a front hung up overhead. So one could argue it may not be far off from what we've had recently.....maybe a little drier.

Yesterday that generality (10 days..) looked vacant of any excessive heat, and still does. But was suggestive of daily thunder ... sometimes widely scattered, some days more pervasive, the whole way.

As of this morning (since) ... neither really.  There's more like a chance of showers every 36 hours, with dry conditions amid summer banality of temperature in between.  Boring is the best way to put it. Not much 'entertaining' about average highs in elevated lows from unremarkable DP elevation, and only at worst middling convection.

I don't see a lot of continuity in that day-to-day model performance, though.

I also don't see much in the way of any kind of pattern coherency - probably why the former.    Typically in summer we lose coherence as you know, but this is really bad.  There's virtually 0 correlative usefulness with telecons  - not merely seasonally reduced. The operational runs are decoupling from their ensemble means about every 3rd run or so.  It's like, can the Earth maintain a health ecosystem without any weather pattern?  - that's actually an interesting question.

Meanwhile, have we ever seen such a vast area under concurrent hazard headlines for air quality?  Gee, ya wonder if there's a relationship there.

Historic heat in east TX to Arkansa - 500 mb heights say it gets more intense but 108 high at Little Rock ...? not sure the sun has enough power to actually dump into that enough to raise any further ( sarcasm).

This heat ( btw ) hinted at being more of a problem NE across the continent about 10 days to two weeks ago (when in extended signals), but the leitmotif since the end of May has been to shunt.  It may in fact be a shunt summer. Either way, we are more latitude challenged than other summers - so far - "weather" by vagarious chance of that nebular organization or not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If you go to my channel there  is more description for this one (And vids) one is from car lot after I parked , and this is after I crossed street. I’ll add more later as I have to wake up super early

This was 20 mins after I had to pullover around 425pm  . I tailgated a emergency vehicle and could make out its flashing lights up Transit road , when that turned off road ..I was blind . Had already been using GPS to basically steer and have idea where road bent and found a car dealership to turn into . Crossed street and took shelter in gas station till I regrouped and booked a nice hotel literally 300 feet away (Salvatore’s) 

I had not appreciated how such high winds and powder snow could create a ground blizzard of such a dangerous extent even with only 4-6” of snow by my time of arrival . Closing of Ny state highway for 70 miles didn’t help my commute time and I will never drive in those conditions again .

I've been in 2 complete whiteouts (will note only the 1st), both ground blizzards on sunny days.  On a late January Saturday in 1971, I was headed home from a ski week at the old Glen Ellen.  We'd had about 4" pow overnight and a strong north wind was blowing down Champlain as I crossed the bridge to Crown Point, NY.  There had been a head-on crash just past the NY end of the bridge with a 3rd, less damaged, car just departing on the tow truck.  I followed the blinking yellow light until it got too far ahead - the driver was 5-6 feet higher than me in my Nova, might've given him a bit better view - mine was maybe 15 feet at best.  After that I had 3 miles of white-knuckle driving at 10 mph or less.  Met only one vehicle and only saw its headlights when it was <10 yards distant, but at our crawl speed we managed to avoid each other.  Fortunately, the snowbanks were low so the snow was blowing across the road more than piling up - my major fear was getting stuck in a drift.
I then worked off the adrenaline by maxing out the little straight 6 cyl Nova, going 85-90 down the interstate, which was educational - filled up after that run and saw the car had gotten 14 mpg rather than its usual 22.  :nerdsmiley:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The holiday week looks 85-90 and dewy . What a stretch of dews !

Which holiday, Labor Day?  :)
The upcoming weekend here has chance showers Sat, categorical rain Sun, likely showers Mon, high chance showers for the 4th.  Beyond that, we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Which holiday, Labor Day?  :)
The upcoming weekend here has chance showers Sat, categorical rain Sun, likely showers Mon, high chance showers for the 4th.  Beyond that, we'll see.

Just an unmitigated disaster of a summer so far. JFC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I was going to comment yesterday that this resembles 2009, That was a very bad summer.

Back half of July and most of August wasn't that bad if I remember right. It finally cleared up and we got some decent heat for those of us who like some warm to hot summer weather. But June was terrible, just like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I've been in 2 complete whiteouts (will note only the 1st), both ground blizzards on sunny days.  On a late January Saturday in 1971, I was headed home from a ski week at the old Glen Ellen.  We'd had about 4" pow overnight and a strong north wind was blowing down Champlain as I crossed the bridge to Crown Point, NY.  There had been a head-on crash just past the NY end of the bridge with a 3rd, less damaged, car just departing on the tow truck.  I followed the blinking yellow light until it got too far ahead - the driver was 5-6 feet higher than me in my Nova, might've given him a bit better view - mine was maybe 15 feet at best.  After that I had 3 miles of white-knuckle driving at 10 mph or less.  Met only one vehicle and only saw its headlights when it was <10 yards distant, but at our crawl speed we managed to avoid each other.  Fortunately, the snowbanks were low so the snow was blowing across the road more than piling up - my major fear was getting stuck in a drift.
I then worked off the adrenaline by maxing out the little straight 6 cyl Nova, going 85-90 down the interstate, which was educational - filled up after that run and saw the car had gotten 14 mpg rather than its usual 22.  :nerdsmiley:

The amount of cars stranded in the middle of transit road (most reliable road in Buffalo LES) was simply jaw dropping . They were piling up all nite as people were rescued by snowmobile and some police SUV’s. The stories in the lobby the next morning were so wild and crazy . 3 hrs to go 2 miles for some of the folks , just bouncing off stuck cars in an effort to make your way on a road where you are blind . 

After all the rooms got books the hotel lobby just filled with rescues over the next 12-18 hours , every now and again the staff (maybe 2-3 people) would put out a large plate of food that would be devoured in minutes . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah it’ll rain, but this has been a great opportunity to keep the water table high and instead it’s dropping locally while everyone else is breeding mosquitoes. 

Something is wrong there. Go back in time and look at Tilton. They did not get 2" in 15 min with that.