Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

14 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Wow that strike was about 1/2 mile away but seemed even closer. Something definitely got hit…maybe a tree. 

Just happened here...  Most likely a very powerful positive CG.   There were 5 evenly spaced, rapid pulsed very loud pop sounds, followed by the main percussive sonic explosion... then fading booms along with that effect of the sound waves echoing off in the distance.   Within just short moments my buddy texts me, 'hey bro, you just almost got nailed!' .. But the actual strike map placed it a little over a mile away.   Weird.  I'm wondering if there was a leader in the area where I am, and the main channel hit at the other location - hence the pops...

btw, sun was shining when that happened

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just happened here...  Most like a very powerful positive CG.   There were 5 evenly spaced, rapid pulsed very loud pop sounds, followed by the main percussive sonic explosion... then fading booms along with that effect of the sound waves echoing off in the distance.   Within just short moments my buddy text me, 'hey bro you almost got nailed' .. But the actual map of the strike was over a mile away.   Weird.  I'm wondering if there was a leader in the area where I am, and the main channel hit at the other location - hence the pops...

The pop and buzz of a very close lightning strike is something you never forget. 

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just happened here...  Most like a very powerful positive CG.   There were 5 evenly spaced, rapid pulsed very loud pop sounds, followed by the main percussive sonic explosion... then fading booms along with that effect of the sound waves echoing off in the distance.   Within just short moments my buddy text me, 'hey bro you almost got nailed' .. But the actual map of the strike was over a mile away.   Weird.  I'm wondering if there was a leader in the area where I am, and the main channel hit at the other location - hence the pops...

Exactly what that was like here. I went back to my video and it’s funny the camera didn’t pick up the flash. But the camera was not really facing where the flash was. But I saw the flash and heard the crash right away. It was piercing. That’s why I thought closer than 1/2 mile. I’m guessing a tree had to get hit by lightning. I’m uploading the video to YouTube right now and can post 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Females ftl. 

That area for some reason gets skipped by a ton of the tstorms . It may have something to do with proximity to the NW Hills and shape of the valley . A lot of times you see what happened today where stuff pops just east . And you’ve seen what happens in the winter. No need to go into lol

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That area for some reason gets skipped by a ton of the tstorms . It may have something to do with proximity to the NW Hills and shape of the valley . A lot of times you see what happened today where stuff pops just east . And you’ve seen what happens in the winter. No need to go into lol

I think today was due to frontal convergence. Was near HFD.

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think today was due to frontal convergence. Was near HFD.

And I’m not saying this to pile on Jay. That particular area in Simsbury just manages to get screwed in winter and summer more often that not. Sure they’ll get one now and again.. but if you’re a severe fan or snow lover.. you simply don’t live there. There’s something about the topography there . Unless you like cloudy cold weather in summer  while at the rivers edge like United wx.