Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

1 hour ago, metagraphica said:

Obviously fish food, but Nigel is a fun looking storm.  Eye is bigger than Rhode Island now.  Would be interesting see how this board would react if we had something that looked like this about 50 miles east of Hatteras and chugging north.

image.thumb.png.20616c3b29e086de175fa4737ee467ec.png

Everybody would be giddy…And don’t believe anything to the contrary.

But that’s just a fantasy anyway, so no need  to even entertain such folly. 

• Like 1

Completely out of left field ... I was just talking to a neighbor about autumn's onset and when the colors will arrive.  The oldest tree on the block is this small-leaf sugar maple that's like nearly 100 foot with nice symmetric canopy, having a diameter some 70 feet.  Huge.  It's just ever so slightly tinge-ing on the top edges.  Despite that size... a tree guy ( on the property for another issue ) was saying a while ago, 'despite that size ... most trees in the area that are that big are actually not more than 80 or 90 years old - because of ... 1938.'

Heh, I always thought that big sucker had to be one of those 250 year old guys. 

Anyway, when I mentioned 1938, she said "...Took the roof of my house."    Guess she inherited it from her grandparents. 

'Took the roof off'  Hmm  so Ayer Massachusetts is something like a 100 miles N of the south shore of SNE, in the heart of the Nashoba Valley, no less.  I think the elevation at town hall is all of 220' above sea level. That's pretty cool to think that the wind was capable of peelin' roofs this far away from a landfall some 100 miles a-yonder.  An homage [probably] to how fast while most importantly ...still powerful it was when it careened onshore LI, yet still possessing enough power to saw trees in half and impart building/structural major impacts up this way. 

To me it really underscores the assumption of safety fallacy around here ... Because the "structure" of civility, codependency on multiple facets, is quite apples to oranges comparing 1938 to modernity. It's almost like less development back then, makes the magnitude incomparable - there's vastly more to lose, now.  'Magine a 1938 redux + some amount of CC-attribution quotient ?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Completely out of left field ... I was just talking to a neighbor about autumn's onset and when the colors will arrive.  The oldest tree on the block is this small-leaf sugar maple that's like nearly 100 foot with nice symmetric canopy, having a diameter some 70 feet.  Huge.  It's just ever so slightly tinge-ing on the top edges.  Despite that size... a tree guy ( on the property for another issue ) was saying a while ago, 'despite that size ... most trees in the area that are that big are actually not more than 80 or 90 years old - because of ... 1938.'

Heh, I always thought that big sucker had to be one of those 250 year old guys. 

Anyway, when I mentioned 1938, she said "...Took the roof of my house."    Guess she inherited it from her grandparents. 

'Took the roof off'  Hmm  so Ayer Massachusetts is something like a 100 miles N of the south shore of SNE, in the heart of the Nashoba Valley, no less.  I think the elevation at town hall is all of 220' above sea level. That's pretty cool to think that the wind was capable of peelin' roofs this far away from a landfall some 100 miles a-yonder.  An homage [probably] to how fast while most importantly ...still powerful it was when it careened onshore LI, yet still possessing enough power to saw trees in half and impart building/structural major impacts up this way. 

To me it really underscores the assumption of safety around here ... Because the "structure" of civility, codependency on multiple facets, is quite apples to oranges comparing 1938 to modernity. It's almost like less development back then, makes the magnitude incomparable - there's vastly more to lose, now.  'Magine a 1938 redux + some amount of CC-attribution quotient ?

Most trees in New England started in the 20s after deforestation.  The rogue gnarly looking trees you see in fields are the oldest around. Farmers used them as wind throws to protect structures. 1938 lumber supplied the entire nation during the war. Millions and millions of board feet as far away as Northern VT. It truly was a Wind to Shake the World. My relatives had no idea 86 years ago today that tomorrow would threaten their lives and take the lives of friends and relatives in a heartbeat. I surveyed the debris line across the coastal pond from the ocean. Debris was found 25 plus feet above sea level. Picture that

• Like 5