Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

6 minutes ago, rclab said:

Than you Don. A poignant illustration as is this: Stay well, as always ….

IMG_7144.png

Wow I wrote a short story called The Last Snow back in February 1989 as a sophomore in high school when yet another busted call for 6-8 inches turned into virga.  It was a story set in the future about a group of storm chasers celebrating the last snowstorm that the Planet Earth would ever see.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yet another snowfall opportunity--at least as promised by the GFS--appears to be headed for life support and then its possible demise. A light event still remains plausible, but worries that such an event could also collapse abound. Tweeted calls for the 1961 Kennedy Inaugural storm and 1969 Lindsay storm, extreme 46-day snow maps, and calls for 0-degree readings in New York City, lie in ruins.

There are even suggestions that Fall 2023 never really ended. Instead, fall will complete a smooth seasonal transition to Spring 2024 sometime next month. Maybe Taylor Swift's next album will feature "Cruel Winter?"

So, what are area snow geese to do?

Rely on memories of past storms? Those memories are growing hazier with the passage of time. What about younger members?

Maybe the local art gallery or museum can refresh memories or remind one of what a snowy landscape looks like.

image.png.dc4ffc3785ad5e2703954123f9ca7912.png

And maybe Winter 2023-24 can muster up the ingredients needed for a decent snowfall before spring takes hold for good.

I'm hoping for one moderate or big event at this point.   We are unlikely to get any sustained cold weather pattern (a week doesn't count)  My kids wonder what happened-there were born in 2009 so almost every winter up until they were about 10 was snowy.  I said welcome to my childhood kiddos....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm hoping for one moderate or big event at this point.   We are unlikely to get any sustained cold weather pattern (a week doesn't count)  My kids wonder what happened-there were born in 2009 so almost every winter up until they were about 10 was snowy.  I said welcome to my childhood kiddos....

My 12-year-old raises similar questions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

too bad they were too little to remember 2009-10 and 2010-11

2010-11 honestly was our best winter since 1995-96.

I've not seen actual snow cover that high before or since.

Snowstorm on top of snowstorm on top of snowstorm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

too bad they were too little to remember 2009-10 and 2010-11

2010-11 honestly was our best winter since 1995-96.

I've not seen actual snow cover that high before or since.

Snowstorm on top of snowstorm on top of snowstorm.

Even 12-13--they kind of missed Sandy and then the 30 inch blizzard....

46 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow I wrote a short story called The Last Snow back in February 1989 as a sophomore in high school when yet another busted call for 6-8 inches turned into virga.  It was a story set in the future about a group of storm chasers celebrating the last snowstorm that the Planet Earth would ever see.

I would like to read it. If you ever have the opportunity to post it. Stay well, as always …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

January 1961 was referenced last month. Even the Blizzard of 1978 (February) was referenced.

If this forum shows us anything, people are out of their minds. (Twitter is far, far worse)

I was just texting a weather friend of mine the other evening saying, “Imagine how far meteorology could go if it weren’t dominated by clout-chasing idiots engaging in clown map postings and smackdowns no one cares about.”

You’re a professional, and I can’t fathom how annoying it must be to you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yet another snowfall opportunity--at least as promised by the GFS--appears to be headed for life support and then its possible demise. A light event still remains plausible, but worries that such an event could also collapse abound. Tweeted calls for the 1961 Kennedy Inaugural storm and 1969 Lindsay storm, extreme 46-day snow maps, and calls for 0-degree readings in New York City, lie in ruins.

There are even suggestions that Fall 2023 never really ended. Instead, fall will complete a smooth seasonal transition to Spring 2024 sometime next month. Maybe Taylor Swift's next album will feature "Cruel Winter?"

So, what are area snow geese to do?

Rely on memories of past storms? Those memories are growing hazier with the passage of time. What about younger members?

Maybe the local art gallery or museum can refresh memories or remind one of what a snowy landscape looks like.

image.png.dc4ffc3785ad5e2703954123f9ca7912.png

And maybe Winter 2023-24 can muster up the ingredients needed for a decent snowfall before spring takes hold for good.

And what would the inevitable NAM'd run represent here, the first commercial fusion reactor times Mount Pinatubo spontaneously erupting which will cool the atmosphere enough in the 72 hours left times the Big Bang to our chances?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, rclab said:

I would like to read it. If you ever have the opportunity to post it. Stay well, as always …

8 hours ago, STORMANLI said:

Same here.

Thanks, it's in my floppy disk collection around here somewhere.  Back in the late 80s was when we first started using those 3.5" disks (I liked them a lot better than the larger 5.25" disks because they weren't as "floppy" and were a lot more durable and didn't have an exposed magnetic surface like the larger sized floppies do.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, North and West said:

6f8e9f10e6ad966439f4ecbef2a72a54.jpg

lol whats with all the "bros"

and dont you love this game, I love defense :)

Mahomes might be great but 90% of the reason they are here is because of their defense.

I hate how rules have changed to protect the QB, the defense should be allowed to do whatever they want to the QB and WR, this is football after all.

My favorite player was LT and Mahomes wouldn't have won a single superbowl if LT was around and the old rules were in play.

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Cant stand him and the other team needs to target him and tell them to take him out.

There are a lot worse things going on in the world, I'm not going to cry over an injured multimillionaire if it happens.

Told ya... they should have done it.  It's part of the game and the point of the game is winning, not being nice. WINNING.  Lawrence Taylor understood that.

this morning's temperature profile looks colder than yesterday's.  Still, not ideal for significant snow in the NYC metro area, but definitely improved.  If a little more cold air can leak eastward, we might have a better chance, especially if snowfall rates are grater than 1" per hour?

image.thumb.png.891baa106af723ef0c48b03bb94b9d22.png

34 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

17 years ago today , we had the big storm. I got 5 inches of sleet with temps in the teens .

February 14, 2007 I have listed as a mix of light snow, sleet and freezing rain (maybe 1.5" total sleet snow accumulation)?  My notes show that a low was forecast to move into the Great Lakes, but rather slid across southen PA.  A secondary formed off the Carolinas and moved north.  Heavy snow warnings posted, but warmer air worked its way into mid levels, resulting in a mixed bag.  Is this correct?  I think the 5.5" sleet storm occurred March 17, 2007?