Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

We did not get off school in December 92. I remember walking through flooded streets with tree branches snapping all around to get to school (uphill of course)

Yeah, it was actually a legit emergency where I grew up. Busses couldn’t leave until the tide dropped and forget about parents in cars and station wagons in the days before SUVs. I remember being stuck for hours at mandalay elementary in wantagh as a 5th grader. Not to mention the winds were on par with sandy. That roar you never forget of hurricane force gusts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yeah, it was actually a legit emergency where I grew up. Busses couldn’t leave until the tide dropped and forget about parents in cars and station wagons in the days before SUVs. I remember being stuck for hours at mandalay elementary in wantagh as a 5th grader. Not to mention the winds were on par with sandy. That roar you never forget of hurricane force gusts.

Yep and it went on for over 48 hours ending as snow out here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yep and it went on for over 48 hours ending as snow out here

Remember it like yesterday-- it was three days of high winds plus rain ending as snow on the last day.  All the fences went down here right on the first day.

One of these years we will get a storm like that but it will be all snow!

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Remember it like yesterday-- it was three days of high winds plus rain ending as snow on the last day.  All the fences went down here right on the first day.

One of these years we will get a storm like that but it will be all snow!

Yeah the mountains got 3 or 4 feet

And along with the Halloween 91 noreaster and the 93 blizzard it was quite a year and a half

• Like 1

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah the mountains got 3 or 4 feet

And along with the Halloween 91 noreaster and the 93 blizzard it was quite a year and a half

I remember when the 10/91 retrograding noreaster happened, I was wondering what was going on, I had never heard of such a thing before and some news outlets were calling it a "neutercane" a term I had never heard before.

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was teaching 7th grade. Just turned 30. The lights went out around 9 am and we sat in the dark til 3. An old building, it got dark. Tuna sandwiches were provided. Many chose to starve.....

On 1/9/2024 at 12:01 PM, Stormlover74 said:

We did not get off school in December 92. I remember walking through flooded streets with tree branches snapping all around to get to school (uphill of course)

Yeah, we didn’t get as many days off for storms in the old days. I can still remember walking home from high school during the February 1983 blizzard. We all thought it was really cool. But the March 1984 big coastal flooding event may have been the wildest. Long Beach High School is right on Reynolds Channel in Lido Beach. The storm surge came over the bulkhead and flooded the whole area around the school. Waves were actually pushing into the parking lot and several teachers had to move there cars. The huge windows were flexing in with gusts to 70-75 off the bay. Then the power went out and they sent us home. Probably the heaviest wind driven sleet I have ever walked home from school in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, we didn’t get as many days off for storms in the old days. I can still remember walking home from high school during the February 1983 blizzard. We all thought it was really cool. But the March 1984 big coastal flooding event may have been the wildest. Long Beach High School is right on Reynolds Channel in Lido Beach. The storm surge came over the bulkhead and flooded the whole area around the school. Waves were actually pushing into the parking lot and several teachers had to move there cars. The huge windows were flexing in with gusts to 70-75 off the bay. Then the power went out and they sent us home. Probably the heaviest wind driven sleet I have ever walked home from school in.

I was in 4th grade during February 1983 and it was my first year on Long Island, the storm started on a Friday right before midwinter recess and we walked home from school, getting released an hour early lol.

I don't have any memory of March 1984 for some reason.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I was in 4th grade during February 1983 and it was my first year on Long Island, the storm started on a Friday right before midwinter recess and we walked home from school, getting released an hour early lol.

I don't have any memory of March 1984 for some reason.

Yeah, March 1984 was right up there for coastal flooding in Long Beach with Dec 73, Belle, and Feb 78. But Gloria and Dec 92 topped those 3. My first memory of coastal flooding was in Dec 73. Detroit got a great snowstorm and we got 75 mph winds and major coastal flooding. The school bus was driving through all the sand left in the streets of the West End when the ocean met the bay.

• Like 1