• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

Anyone able to update us on the Korean model that had the super-bomb yesterday? 

My approach if I had to make a forecast now would be to take a weighted average of GFS, Euro and GEM, ignore the rest. The weight should be something like 40-30-20 in that order. On that basis you come up with a very nice solution, not quite as tucked or intense as Euro, at times a bit south of GEM, closer to land than GFS and 5 mb deeper too. Let's say a 978 mb low near the benchmark from an origin near ACY. It would perhaps cut back a bit on Euro QPF but would spread 15-25 inch snowfalls over most of the region. 

I wouldn't call that "my" forecast because it's just a paradigm approach, if the models diverge, then split the difference, they can't all be right but sometimes none of them is exactly right compared to the others. GEM at the moment is intermediate in nature to GFS/Euro so a second approach might be, go with the intermediate of the three but skew that slightly towards the one of the other two you trust more. Frankly I trust the GFS more than the Euro but I hope for the best for your sake. I don't want to be the only poster here to reach 50" on my season (it is child's play here). 

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

Same here in Central E CT, I’m thinking 5-6 while Kev has the potential for higher amounts.

Could be a longitude deal - here in Trumbull maybe we do well while people even in NE corner get slop? I've seen that - albeit rarely. I remember a storm when I was in Lowell where it rained for the eastern third of Mass and I came home and we had like a foot here in CT.

5 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Anyone able to update us on the Korean model that had the super-bomb yesterday? 

My approach if I had to make a forecast now would be to take a weighted average of GFS, Euro and GEM, ignore the rest. The weight should be something like 40-30-20 in that order. On that basis you come up with a very nice solution, not quite as tucked or intense as Euro, at times a bit south of GEM, closer to land than GFS and 5 mb deeper too. Let's say a 978 mb low near the benchmark from an origin near ACY. It would perhaps cut back a bit on Euro QPF but would spread 15-25 inch snowfalls over most of the region. 

I wouldn't call that "my" forecast because it's just a paradigm approach, if the models diverge, then split the difference, they can't all be right but sometimes none of them is exactly right compared to the others. GEM at the moment is intermediate in nature to GFS/Euro so a second approach might be, go with the intermediate of the three but skew that slightly towards the one of the other two you trust more. Frankly I trust the GFS more than the Euro but I hope for the best for your sake. I don't want to be the only poster here to reach 50" on my season (it is child's play here). 

Save a horse on coastals.

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah this kind of setup is the GFS’s real undoing. it’s still much too progressive with phasing scenarios

I would give it less weight on this one, I mean, This system is quite dynamic so there's going to be convective processes the are going to effect the outcome so i think the Euro can handle this better until we get into meso range.