Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Stop using 10 to 1 maps

I think there is a 'quick look' (oilfield well logging term, pre-computer analysis days when chart books were used to correct measurements) benefit to a 10:1 map.  Divide by 10 and its is the QPF the model thinks falls as snow.  If one doesn't want to look at 850 and 925 and surface temps or soundings every 3 hours for P-type prediction to determine P-type.  Models that output at 6 hours, if there is heavy precip and a phase change sometime during the 6 hours, hard just to apply a 7:1 or whatever to the precip since it is hard to know when rain changed to sleet or snow.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That booby low is highly unlikely . I’m not sure that’s ever happened before. I would be highly skeptical of this solution   , just as I am of the NAM

I wouldn't say highly unlikely...phases are usually imperfect, and that evolution is a reflection of that. I could see it going either way...

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Funny how you have globals like euro and gfs chasing convection with double boobs while meso’s consolidate it. Only the cmc global consolidates and frankly it’s been consistent…doesn’t mean it is correct though but you have to give consistency some weight. 

GEMS may have the right idea, but I think its too warm back here, like the UK.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s a JAM.

2023 and not one piece of guidance can consistently narrow the goalposts inside at D2. 

This has literally become a pain in the ass.. Not enjoyable at all to forecast this one, I mean accumulating snow starts in 30 hours.. And we have several models showing a monster snowstorm for all of SNE and the GFS and EURO are worlds apart from the other models.  Southern CT is a disaster of a forecast.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Funny how you have globals like euro and gfs chasing convection with double boobs while meso’s consolidate it. Only the cmc global consolidates and frankly it’s been consistent…doesn’t mean it is correct though but you have to give consistency some weight. 

Fear this may end up a strung out mess that just benefits the higher elevations.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That booby low is highly unlikely . I’m not sure that’s ever happened before. I would be highly skeptical of this solution   , just as I am of the NAM

Ya that looks absolutely silly. I don’t know how it still gives me like 8-9” on that clown map,?… so it’ll probably be more like 4”.   

Sadly are we any closer to any type of consensus?