• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

Lots of possibilities with this as has been said. Far from a solution still.  This is the middle term where things usually go haywire(every event seems to have them), and that’s where we’re at now. Watch the ensembles now, and we look for trends. Nobody out of  the game yet with this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m leaning towards a subpar outcome for swct but another 24-36hrs is needed. 

Let's just ride the UKIE for today.....it has nothing tomorrow night and a ton early next week. Can it be that bad? Lol.....

Maybe this is the one, two punch we have been waiting for around here?

I do worry the GFS has the right idea, progressive and further NE. But who knows at this point, still trying to figure out tomorrow night.

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

Let's just ride the UKIE for today.....it has nothing tomorrow night and a ton early next week. Can it be that bad? Lol.....

Maybe this is the one, two punch we have been waiting for around here?

I do worry the GFS has the right idea, progressive and further NE. But who knows at this point, still trying to figure out tomorrow night.

Stop worrying…we can’t figure to tomorrow night yet, and folks think this is a loss lol? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I wouldn't worry too much with what models have for 2m temps verbatim, no matter the solution and forgot the garbage snowfall maps. 

The degree of upper-level dynamics which will be in place will support the potential for rapid deepening and cyclogenesis (obviously it's a matter of getting everything to phase and align). In the event we see a favorable phase, dynamics will then take over. Combination of increasing llvl convergence and ulvl divergence along will work to cool the profile and if you can get a favorable low track/placement you'll even increase the odds for a cold enough profile down to the coast. 

But the one thing models will struggle with is the 2M temperatures in these scenarios. Remember, they're going to want to scale towards climo in a sense. but if you were to look at 2M temps at this stage and see 34-35 (even in the most explosive runs), I would be willing to bet at verification time the temps are more 32-33. 

Dynamics will suffice @Typhoon Tip

image.png.e570a51e2ff149fe93f2a9bf9ffa773e.png
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Dynamics will suffice @Typhoon Tip

image.png.e570a51e2ff149fe93f2a9bf9ffa773e.png

Man I can’t wait for a potent west based nino to develop, hopefully that will mean we won’t need to worry about cold air every storm threat. For now I’d like to just get one big snow to end this non winter. We have the MJO going into 8 and 1 at a high amplitude so that should lead to a couple chances after this threat.

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Stop worrying…we can’t figure to tomorrow night yet, and folks think this is a loss lol? 

No worries here, I went into this storm hoping for a ton, but expecting a slushy inch. I said yesterday that I was expecting more snow Saturday morning than early next week and will stick to that forecast....Lets see what the Euro shows in an hour.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George001 said:

Man I can’t wait for a potent west based nino to develop, hopefully that will mean we won’t need to worry about cold air every storm threat. For now I’d like to just get one big snow to end this non winter. We have the MJO going into 8 and 1 at a high amplitude so that should lead to a couple chances after this threat.

If this ends up shit, I'm riding off into the seasonal sunset.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

Man I can’t wait for a potent west based nino to develop, hopefully that will mean we won’t need to worry about cold air every storm threat. For now I’d like to just get one big snow to end this non winter.

Nuances and fine details George…we had chances this year in some good looks, but we couldn’t capitalize due to the finer details porking us. One big thing ain’t gonna always due the trick.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, George001 said:

Go big or go home.

Luckily spring is right around the corner literally. Unfortunately I see a crappy couple months ahead.

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Nuances and fine details George…we had chances this year in some good looks, but we couldn’t capitalize due to the finer details opening us. One big thing ain’t gonna always due the truck.  

That’s true, we got unlucky with the pattern in December, and March is to be decided but the confluence being too strong for wave 1 and too weak for wave 2 is just rotten luck. However, we also had a shitty longwave pattern in the heart of winter, it feels like we had a bad pattern overall and the bad luck we got took us from below average to rat. Ray has some good information on his blog about enso structure, and he mentioned that the 2 worst enso state+structure combinations we can get are an East based nino and a modoki (west based) Nina. These effects are amplified when the enso event is stronger and well coupled. A moderate or stronger modoki Nina is bad news if you are looking for cold and snow in the east. We basically had the same enso configuration as 2011-2012. 

4 minutes ago, George001 said:

That’s true, we got unlucky with the pattern in December, and March is to be decided but the confluence being too strong for wave 1 and too weak for wave 2 is just rotten luck. However, we also had a shitty longwave pattern in the heart of winter, it feels like we had a bad pattern overall and the bad luck we got took us from below average to rat. Ray has some good information on his blog about enso structure, and he mentioned that the 2 worst enso state+structure combinations we can get are an East based nino and a modoki (west based) Nina. These effects are amplified when the enso event is stronger and well coupled. A moderate or stronger modoki Nina is bad news if you are looking for cold and snow in the east. We basically had the same enso configuration as 2011-2012. 

This la nina ended up being even more hostile than 2011-2012..that was a modest to moderate modoki....this was equal intensity, but extraordinarily well coupled.

Polar domain has been the big difference between this year and 2011-2012, but we haven't taken advantage of it in terms of snow...yet.

• Like 1