• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I bought one of those smart telescopes (Vespera) that does not even have an eye piece to be able to look at objects.  Instead the scope slews to the object you select through an app and it will find it and start stacking photos for the time you request. You then download the images to your computer.  I have always wanted to see Andromeda.  I finally got my chance 2 nights ago.  

Andronema6.jpg

• Like 20

21 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

RIP Robbie Robertson. Garth Hudson is now the only one left. emoji17.png

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

The Band are legend and Robbie Robertson was a phenomenal songwriter who will always live in Bob Dylan’s shadow. 
he had some great solo work but Acadian Driftwood is one of my favorites and it is a great weather song! 

“Acadian driftwood, 
Gypsy tailwind
They call my home, 
The land of snow
Canadian cold front, 
Movin' in
What a way to ride, 
Oh what a way to go”

• Like 2

ouch

https://ctmirror.org/2023/08/10/ct-southern-new-england-fastest-snow-cover-decline-in-north-america/

The research appears in the journal Climate and looks at snowfall data from the last 23 years. It found southern New England is losing its snow cover at the fastest rate in North America.

The finding comes as New England temperatures are already warming faster than national averages from human-driven climate change, according to the U.S. Global Change Research Program.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

All of the SNE sites average more snow in 2000-2023 than 1950-1995 (had to ignore the shit data from 1996-2000).

Yea but the article concerns snow depth days. North America however as a whole has gained depth days. They used Sat data. I believe it as the rat years really brought the great years down. 

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea but the article concerns snow depth days. North America however as a whole has gained depth days. They used Sat data. I believe it as the rat years really brought the great years down. 

I understand it’s depth and not actual snowfall. My point is no weather fans up here are losing sleep over a reduction in depth days with how much more snow we’ve had overall. Maybe that’ll reverse in the next couple of decades, but for now, no “ouchies”.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I understand it’s depth and not actual snowfall. My point is no weather fans up here are losing sleep over a reduction in depth days with how much more snow we’ve had overall. Maybe that’ll reverse in the next couple of decades, but for now, no “ouchies”.

It is only 5% over 2 decades. 

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah, I know that article was posted as a “gotcha” attempt, but like has been mentioned, nobody is going to give a rats ass about losing a few days of snowcover when we’ve put up some absolutely monster winters and huge storms over the last 20+ years.

During Gov. Mills' 1sr term, I was asked to write an essay on the effect of CC on Public Lands' forest management, submitting it early in 2018.  As part of that task I looked at data, mostly already in hand, comparing 21st century numbers to those in the 2nd half of the 20th, for 4 parameters:  total snowfall, duration of snow cover, mornings zero or below (to freeze down winter roads) and days remaining 32 or colder (to keep them frozen).  This was done for 3 selected sites, CAR for northern Maine, Rangeley for the western mountains, and Farmington for low elevations in the colder half of the state, where 90%+ of the Public Lands forest is located.  Results:
21st century has -
Total snowfall:  +6%   (Current long term averages are CAR 116", Rangeley 117", Farmington 89")
Duration of cover:  3-6% shorter for CAR/Farm, 5% longer at Rangeley
Days remaining 32 or colder:  3% lower
Minima zero or colder:  21% lower, less for Rangeley, more for Farmington.

Only 3 sites but geographically diverse and with very few missed days.
(The longest of the 3, Farmington, ceased reporting last October.  It had records beginning 1/1/1893 with less than 0.5% missing and only one lost day in the most recent 108 years.  Sad.)

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

During Gov. Mills' 1sr term, I was asked to write an essay on the effect of CC on Public Lands' forest management, submitting it early in 2018.  As part of that task I looked at data, mostly already in hand, comparing 21st century numbers to those in the 2nd half of the 20th, for 4 parameters:  total snowfall, duration of snow cover, mornings zero or below (to freeze down winter roads) and days remaining 32 or colder (to keep them frozen).  This was done for 3 selected sites, CAR for northern Maine, Rangeley for the western mountains, and Farmington for low elevations in the colder half of the state, where 90%+ of the Public Lands forest is located.  Results:
21st century has -
Total snowfall:  +6%   (Current long term averages are CAR 116", Rangeley 117", Farmington 89")

(The longest of the 3, Farmington, ceased reporting last October.  It had records beginning 1/1/1893 with less than 0.5% missing and only one lost day in the most recent 108 years.  Sad.)

Seeing Farmington cease after such a long period of record is truly sad. Those kinds of locations are hard to come by. 

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

21st century has -

Awesome stuff.  Seems like it's within the margin of error or close.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Seeing Farmington cease after such a long period of record is truly sad. Those kinds of locations are hard to come by. 

Over the past dozen years, other long-term co-op sites have winked out in Bridgton (started 1901), Lewiston (started 1893) and Gardiner (started 1886 and the only Maine co-op I've found with data for March 1888 - they had 8" paste).  Other recent losses are at both ends of Flagstaff Lake: Eustis and Long Falls Dam.  The latter measured 56" in the late Feb 1969 storm, Maine's greatest single snowstorm.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Been a very bad week for our family, We lost my brother in law on Wednesday and my Dad passed away yesterday after a long illness RIP dad, Until we meet again :cry:

Awful. Sorry man. Best wishes to you and your fam and RIP to your father and BIL.