• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Currently monitoring guidance for March late 3rd through the 4th for the next ( beyond the 28th) significant event

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

18z HRRR had MVL ASOS with 0.53" QPF in 2-hours around 5-6am (0.27" and 0.26" hourly).  I'll believe that when I see it.

Do you plan on driving out to the airport at sunrise to see it verify?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

12km went pretty wild for SNH, 3km more tame though 

Both were trying to hit your area down to metrowest harder with CCB tomorrow. I’m Still not biting on that but it’s gotten more interesting today. 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Would love to know what model the Wunderground app is mostly based on for their app snowfall algorithm.  Has me at 8-12 tonight and 3-5 tomorrow.    GFS ?

I've been wondering same... had me with about 10" leading up to yesterday where it began dropping now at 5".

3 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

I've always struggled trying to decipher soundings, don't we want the dgz to be around the 700mb level for best snow growth? and does the temp line go up to the right or left? tia for the lesson

You want the best lift to line up with the snow growth zone (and be saturated). So on Paul’s sounding you see these bars sticking out horizontally from the left, those are omega bar which denote lift in the atmosphere….we want those to be at the same level as the SGZ but they were below the SGZ which means you’ll get crappier flakes. It does improve the next hour (as he showed in a later post). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You want the best lift to line up with the snow growth zone (and be saturated). So on Paul’s sounding you see these bars sticking out horizontally from the left, those are omega bar which denote lift in the atmosphere….we want those to be at the same level as the SGZ but they were below the SGZ which means you’ll get crappier flakes. It does improve the next hour (as he showed in a later post). 

No bueno with it being at 500mb

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

As an addendum, we usually assume that max lift occurs at 700 mb, which is why we suggest we want the DGZ around that level. 

Of course max lift can occur at many levels, so as long as it bisects the DGZ it can snow heavily. There is just a lot more that can happen to a flake the longer it falls (evaporation, fracturing, riming, etc).