Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023

Rjay

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Ideally I would want 70 degree weather but that isn’t happening this March. 

Same here. Instead I think it'll be annoyingly chilly and dry. 

Luckily the sun is getting higher and higher but I see a lot of murky, colder days with possibly more below freezing mornings than most of Jan & Feb. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Best to keep expectations tempered for this reason

Ensemble runs are smoothed out so there's likely to be colder days mixed in.

So I think there's enough cold around but I don't see favorable storm tracks with the widespread CONUS cold. You need gradients for storms. 

This screams cold/dry to me. I assume most don't just want a cold March.

Ensemble runs are smoothed out so there's likely to be colder days mixed in.
So I think there's enough cold around but I don't see favorable storm tracks with the widespread CONUS cold. You need gradients for storms. 
This screams cold/dry to me. I assume most don't just want a cold March.

The thing is, people are looking at those maps and saying “oh my God it’s going to be -8 below normal!” But that’s -8 below normal for a normal high on March 12th, which is cold by 3/12 standards but we’re not talking 20’s for highs lol You have to temper expectations based on climo, we will be approaching mid-March at that point
  • Weenie 2

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The thing is, people are looking at those maps and saying “oh my God it’s going to be -8 below normal!” But that’s -8 below normal for a normal high on March 12th, which is cold by 3/12 standards but we’re not talking 20’s for highs lol You have to temper expectations based on climo, we will be approaching mid-March at that point

When an ensemble run's mean of dozens of members shows 8 BN for a period of a week or so, that implies that individual members for their respective coldest individual days will be much colder than 8 BN. There'd likely to be many cases of 20 or more BN on certain days for certain members.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Yes but we're also in that weird transitional phase where it can be in the 40s to 50 during the day and in the 20s with snow the next. 

If there's cold air to tap into then it will snow and based on those charts there will be a lot of cold around. 

My problem is there won't be storms around that can tap into the cold. 

But yes climo matters especially after mid March. You need anomalous cold + favorable storm track to get a significant snow event by then. 

There's only a handful of storms in our history that managed that. 

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah not good for DC.

A map that averages 51 members with 8 BN way out at hour 300 is a very strong BN signal and means a lot more than merely taking a day's climo average and subtracting 8 degrees. Thus, I think Michael Muccilli is looking at this the wrong way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It can definitely snow here if we get into a good pattern that can produce storms on a good track and we have cold air (even March standard) in place. We don’t have to look back far to see some prolific ones. 

I would bet against anything historic though 6-8 inch storms are just fine

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yes but we're also in that weird transitional phase where it can be in the 40s to 50 during the day and in the 20s with snow the next. 

If there's cold air to tap into then it will snow and based on those charts there will be a lot of cold around. 

My problem is there won't be storms around that can tap into the cold. 

But yes climo matters especially after mid March. You need anomalous cold + favorable storm track to get a significant snow event by then. 

There's only a handful of storms in our history that managed that. 

If you lower your expectations to 4 inch to 6 inch storms there's plenty of examples between mid March and mid April

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Same here. Instead I think it'll be annoyingly chilly and dry. 

Luckily the sun is getting higher and higher but I see a lot of murky, colder days with possibly more below freezing mornings than most of Jan & Feb. 

Because it's March it won't be extremely cold. Probably highs in the 30s/lows in the 20s. Yes colder than all winter. Also we can't know for sure they'll be no storms. Even weaker systems could produce some snow. 

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Right, because you know there’s definitely going to be a massive, historic KU climbing the coast with 24”+ and -30F below normal highs. There are no definites in weather and for the most part, in life

No one is saying that. You always go with extremes. Either it’s “warm, nothing, zip, nada, no snow for you!” Or you freak out on an imaginary person calling for a blizzard. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• BxEngine pinned this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic