Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023

Rjay

30 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Models usually have a hard time with blocking

Finally a week of tracking 2 storms. Been a while.

We get lucky tomorrow with the -PNA and a solid 50/50 low. But we lose the 50/50 later in the week and get a stronger Miller A. Nothing to hold back an amped up Miller A when we have a strong -PNA no matter how strong the -NAO is. So you want a weaker sheared out system to make the late week work.

647B253D-4705-4EC9-86DC-797A709206F3.gif.612c81de5962f52dad1f0d3cad40405b.gif
2BBD19C1-412D-4871-9DD2-698B0756C14C.gif.649ea512203b62cae13fb96602e50db7.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We get lucky tomorrow with the -PNA and a solid 50/50 low. But we lose the 50/50 later in the week and get a stronger Miller A. Nothing to hold back an amped up Miller A when we have a strong -PNA no matter how strong the -NAO is. So you want a weaker sheared out system to make the late week work.

647B253D-4705-4EC9-86DC-797A709206F3.gif.612c81de5962f52dad1f0d3cad40405b.gif
2BBD19C1-412D-4871-9DD2-698B0756C14C.gif.649ea512203b62cae13fb96602e50db7.gif

whats so special about the post March 10 period where we are supposed to get very cold and possibly snowy?  Does the -PNA finally go away?  Does the -NAO block get stronger?

2 minutes ago, Metasequoia said:

The 12Z Euro did bump north quite a lot, but verbatim, it's still a decent snow for NYC and north. Of course things could keep moving north...

image.png

Listening to people's reactions as the Euro was running, it sounded like the storm went up the St Lawrence Seaway...granted we weren't Jackpotted.

7 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I think this looks good. 50/50 low backbuilds. Timing is right as that piece of energy in the west moves to the east coast as the -NAO lifts out. 

f228.thumb.gif.8ebc5632ac80b0e05544e5aeea98aee9.gif

Remember, -PNA by itself is more wetter than warmer(net temps/precip in March favors -PNA vs +PNA). So a north-oriented -PNA veering into -EPO does good. We just don't need that Aleutian high to completely trend south, which happens sometimes after you mix warmer air in the northern latitude levels (trend). 

Courtesy of Chuck.

36 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Models trending weaker with the block and 50/50 

Yes that's no good. If that continues then everyone will rain even into NNE

The 3/4 is the last system I'm invested in. If that one cuts then I'm done with this winter. 

I don't care how favorable March 10-12+ looks with spring firmly in control. 

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

You can't ignore climo even with a favorable pattern. Our averages are climbing near 50 by then. 

Not many snowstorms after March 12 looking at history 

Big forum so half here can still snow well into March

CPK can and has snowed into April multiple times. The 10th through 20th is not too late.

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Also check the Chuck posts I brought in here he knows his stuff.

Sometimes he says really STRANGE things, I guess you caught him on a good day.

It's interesting about the weak -PNA, we do know that PNA matters much less in March, but a strong -PNA will be bad regardless of the time of year.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Sometimes he says really STRANGE things, I guess you caught him on a good day.

It's interesting about the weak -PNA, we do know that PNA matters much less in March, but a strong -PNA will be bad regardless of the time of year.

Oh yeah I agree the PNA has to be -1SD or weaker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

CPK can and has snowed into April multiple times. The 10th through 20th is not too late.

Yup I don't care about double digit snowstorms this time of year but if we can get multiple 4-6 or even 4-8 inchers that would be awesome, that's what 1996 and 2018 were all about.  One 8 incher and two 4 inchers would be just about perfect.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

You can't ignore climo even with a favorable pattern. Our averages are climbing near 50 by then. 

Not many snowstorms after March 12 looking at history 

4 inch snowstorms can and have occured right through the first third of April.

Check out March-April 1996 and March-April 2018

3 4 inchers in March 1996 and 1 4 incher in April 1996 (JFK)

and we had multiple 4 inchers in March 2018 including one 8 incher and 1 in April 2018 that was a 6 incher

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Sure but it has almost zero staying power. I personally hate late winter snows. 

Anything outside of a 1956 or 1888 or 2018 to some extent after March 10 is meh to me. 

But because I've had nothing this winter I'll settle for anything just once. Hopefully Monday night delivers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

The bleeding stopped this run of the GFS. This time we have a 1 to 3 thump of snow before the flip. Low is a little SE of 12z.

This run is close to what I am thinking. Time will tell how much of a thump before the changeover.

Better well defined secondary this run it looks like. Would be kind of frustrating to waste this with cold air at the start of the storm but I can see your snow to rain scenario being a possible outcome.   

• Like 1

• BxEngine pinned this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic