Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2023

Rjay

3 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Apologies if I am being obtuse, however it looks like the entire pattern shifts from an RNA/blocking pattern to a -EPO, +PNA pattern with an east coast trough. Do you see the same?

No worries. Indeed, that's how it is looking. But my point was about any assumption that the Arctic blocking, itself, would play out as was projected yesterday considering how the current blocking didn't even start to be recognized by the daily GEFS forecasts until within 10 days. The models have an extra challenge when the SPV is very weak. Look at today's GEFS mean vs yesterday's. Yesterday's had the AO on day 10 (3/10) near zero. Today's for 3/10 has it still down at -0.9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

How is there a cutter in a pattern that’s supposed to be either big snow or suppression? 

This winter will find many ways to screw us. 

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it made a positive shift in the west. you're going to get weird OP solutions at 10 days out

no comments on the CMC? 

GFS led the charge in this Fridays cutter. 

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Op run dude 

I know I just think it's funny how this winter will find multiple ways to screw us

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

This winter will find many ways to screw us. 

GFS led the charge in this Fridays cutter. 

I know I just think it's funny how this winter will find multiple ways to screw us

We just had a snow storm. So maybe our luck has changed 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

We just had a snow storm. So maybe our luck has changed 

Snowstorm? I got a little more than inch that's gone already. I think most saw an advisory event at best. 

Even the worst winters usually deliver something. Good news is this miserable winter is just about over

• Like 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Snowstorm? I got a little more than inch that's gone already. I think most saw an advisory event at best. 

Even the worst winters usually deliver something. Good news is this miserable winter is just about over

I had 5.1. NYC only needs 0.7 to avoid futility 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Does KU imply anything about track? I think I assumed it also implied a coastal nor’easter with sort of a textbook track for the east coast. If it’s just based on qualifying for NESIS that makes more sense actually. 

KU (Kocin-Uccelini) is defined by the snow amounts over the number of people impacted. KU has a “near miss” section for storms that impacted inland areas but with a few tweaks would have been massive coastal impacts, like 3/14/17. Blizzard of 96 had 20”+ amounts for every major city except Boston with 18” and had a huge overall area with those amounts, so it’s rated a 5. A storm like 12/30/00 had major impacts in NYC but not many other heavily populated areas so I think that’s rated just a 1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Over ? We have this whole month which should deliver.

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

KU (Kocin-Uccelini) is defined by the snow amounts over the number of people impacted. KU has a “near miss” section for storms that impacted inland areas but with a few tweaks would have been massive coastal impacts, like 3/14/17. Blizzard of 96 had 20”+ amounts for every major city except Boston with 18” and had a huge overall area with those amounts, so it’s rated a 5. A storm like 12/30/00 had major impacts in NYC but not many other heavily populated areas so I think that’s rated just a 1. 

You can also have a KU event for an individual location, which I would say has to be 10" or more.

For example, a 10" event for Long Beach is a KU for Long Beach.

20" is HECS, so a 20" storm for Long Beach is an HECS for Long Beach.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

You can also have a KU event for an individual location, which I would say has to be 10" or more.

For example, a 10" event for Long Beach is a KU for Long Beach.

20" is HECS, so a 20" storm for Long Beach is an HECS for Long Beach.

Not really. NESIS (now RSI) was the basis for the KU canon, and that scale was specifically designed to capture the breadth of societal impacts. You can have a historic snowfall in one city over another, but a KU needs the regional extent by definition. 

• Like 2

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Not really. NESIS (now RSI) was the basis for the KU canon, and that scale was specifically designed to capture the breadth of societal impacts. You can have a historic snowfall in one city over another, but a KU needs the regional extent by definition. 

Is KU measured by area of 10" snowfall plus the population under that area?

I guess you could use the MECS definition and link that to 10" for any individual location and then keep HECS for 20" plus.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

by the way two nights of northern lights, did you see anything last night?

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

There have been no KU in March since 1993

I’d have to look it up but I’d think one of the March 2018 storms would count. 

As for Fri PM/Sat, models say enjoy the rain for most and sleet along I-84. :( 

This winter if we get nothing else is still a huge F, but it was deep winter looking yesterday AM here. Definitely picturesque. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

I’d have to look it up but I’d think one of the March 2018 storms would count. 

As for Fri PM/Sat, models say enjoy the rain for most and sleet along I-84. :( 

This winter if we get nothing else is still a huge F, but it was deep winter looking yesterday AM here. Definitely picturesque. 

I guess if you count the entire area, though I am going with the 10" in New York City definition.  We could switch that to MECS for NYC in which case that would still be valid lol

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm going with JFK numbers, 1.7 for JFK.  For record lows always go with the lowest figure, for record highs always go with the highest figure.

Honestly I could kind of care less in terms of seasonal totals and how they are measured because they are often inaccurate anyway but I think JFK is a good representation for Southern Queens, Brooklyn, and Southern Nassau but not the NYC as a whole in terms of tracking totals.  

• Like 1

Just now, Winterweatherlover said:

Honestly I could kind of care less in terms of seasonal totals and how they are measured because they are often inaccurate anyway but I think JFK is a good representation for Southern Queens, Brooklyn, and Southern Nassau but not the NYC as a whole in terms of tracking totals.  

Yes we see how inaccurate these totals are especially in these borderline events.  I would guestimate that the 1.8 figure should probably be around 2.2 or 2.3

• Rjay unpinned this topic