Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023

Rjay

20 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We care at this point about the ingredients being in place-the decaying NAO block, exiting western trough, cold air supply etc rather than any individual storm track. 

I do think March 10-20 has the best potential to produce a significant snow event so far this winter. 

Better than December. 

I'll give it a 10% chance of producing a forum wide KU storm (10"+) a 25% chance of warning level snows (6-10") and 50% chance at another advisory event (2-5"). 

• Weenie 4

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Seeing posters like Allsnow and Forky on board is reason for optimism for March. If Snowman19 ever comes on board we know it's going to happen. 

Agree with Allsnow, great calls all winter and was one of the few that dismissed the "favorable" December pattern when even Forky was on board. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

You are on the exact same page as I am. Favorable patterns do not guarantee snow. Would role the dice on the December look again.

The reason favorable patterns dont always work out is because you're missing something that needs to be factored in.  Thats why they dont work out in bunches.  It's not random, there is a pattern to it. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

The discussion was about the pattern. Thats it.

the interesting thing is that favorable patterns that produce and "favorable" patterns that don't produce seem to run in bunches, this is evidence that it isn't random....there is some outside variable that isn't being factored in, which makes the "favorable" pattern that doesn't produce less favorable than it might seem.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

the interesting thing is that favorable patterns that produce and "favorable" patterns that don't produce seem to run in bunches, this is evidence that it isn't random....there is some outside variable that isn't being factored in, which makes the "favorable" pattern that doesn't produce less favorable than it might seem.

I don't think that's the case. the weather is inherently chaotic and there's no way we could ever figure out how to decipher that chaos more than 5 or so days in advance with any kind of certainty. it's not possible and luck will always play a factor

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I don't think that's the case. the weather is inherently chaotic and there's no way we could ever figure out how to decipher that chaos more than 5 or so days in advance with any kind of certainty. it's not possible and luck will always play a factor

luck may be a factor but if the same thing occurs for several years, then it's probable something  isn't being factored in; for example in the 80s, the NW Atlantic was abnormally cold, which led to fewer coastal storms.

The more you increase sample size, the better you can analyze data to find causal factors.  In very small sample sizes variability (or "luck") is more meaningful.

Everyone discounting the GFS and throwing it out needs to remember it was the first one to show Friday/Saturday as being a non event. The Euro and CMC kept showing a snowstorm this weekend run after run. Not saying the GFS is going to be right, but I would not just toss it in the trash either

Just now, snowman19 said:

Everyone discounting the GFS and throwing it out needs to remember it was the first one to show Friday/Saturday as being a non event. The Euro and CMC kept showing a snowstorm this weekend run after run. Not saying the GFS is going to be right, but I would not just toss it in the trash either

I agree that you can't completely throw it out, but a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I'm sticking with the higher skilled majority as of now

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This winter moreso than others my mind already goes to the worst solution.

Based on winter trends alone I'd give an edge to the GFS however the ensembles paint a very different picture.

March will definitely be below normal, which sucks, but if it's going to be chilly then at least give me a snow event or two. Nothing worse than a cold, dry or cold/rainy miserable March. 

• Weenie 3

• Rjay unpinned this topic