Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

32 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

Tip, do you have a lean in which way you would go for forecasting an overall snowfall swath across Sne right now? Gun to head? 

If must ... I would call for a light event, or 'minor' on the scale of minor-moderate-major.  To me, minor can involve Advisory level and less amounts/impact.  Moderate's upper Adv -lower Warn... Major is above that and so on

One wild card, which as that implies ... is much lower probability and therefore should not be counted on, is that a stronger relay ...currently coming around the bend over southern Cali and through the SW  ...  is stronger than previous/recent runs.  As I was attempting to describe in that missive, more vorticity kinematics central to that impulse would be an offset to the negative vorticity over the anti-cyclonic curvature - whee the models are attempting to send it over top.  I cannot completely exclude that happening, no -

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If must ... I would call for a light event, or 'minor' on the scale of minor-moderate-major.  To me, minor can involve Advisory level and less amounts/impact.  Moderate's upper Adv -lower Warn... Major is above that and so on

One wild card, which as that implies ... is much lower probability and therefore should not be counted on, is that a stronger relay ...currently coming around the bend over southern Cali and through the SW  ...  is stronger than previous/recent runs.  As I was attempting to describe in that missive, more vorticity kinematics central to that impulse would be offset the negative vorticity over the anti-cyclonic curvature the models are attempting to send it over top.  

I am thinking 3-6" here as a "way too early" range. 

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

So N MA got more this past Thursday than it will from Mon/Tue system?  I'm skeptical but that would be quite a remarkable turn of events if it happened.

in a couple of runs with the Euro yesterday, frequently on the GFS, and here on this RDPS, there is a consistent strip of higher qpf that keeps showing up for western merrimack county and over to Lewiston.  I noticed that in the days leading up to Dec 17 2020, a higher strip in similar areas up my way.  I take that to mean that we have a chance to maximize accumulation up here.  I'm sure Brian and Jeff will have a thought about this.  

Often we see just the opposite up here in coastal storms where the big bands are off to the east and west of the Merr. River Valley, and we know that is a sign of a local minimum probably related to downsloping in the valley.  Perhaps the signal on the current storm reflects long easterly flow running into the hill immediately west of the Merrimack river?

33 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Funny how people throw out literally every model. “Euro stinks” “GFS blows” “NAM and RGEM are terrible” “UK is awful model”

so that leaves the Canadian as the only good model? 

Not necessarily. It's just understanding when and where they should be used. It's pretty common knowledge that the NAM blows except in the short range

6 minutes ago, George001 said:

Yeah, not what we wanted to see. To get those higher end outcomes it’s a good sign to see the mesos going nuts at this stage. I did like seeing the nam bump north though.

I was fine with most guidance this morning minus the Canadian twins. We’ll see what ukie and euro do. 

• Like 1