Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

2 hours ago, Buddy1987 said:

I agree here. Too amped for my area down this way but I could see @clskinsfan and @WinterWxLuvrliking this setup, although the northern MD and southern PA crew are more than in it at this stage as well. Hopefully it trends south and east so everyone is happy but the way this year has gone I am not holding out much hope. 

I still think better setups are likely to happen towards mid March. But…we are in a different regime than most of winter.  Yes we had blocking in December but the mid latitude response is significantly different in December than March. A few years ago I showed how in the last 20 years we actually need the pac more so than the atl to be cold in December. That wasn’t always true and it might be a big problem in this -pdo cycle but it is what it is. So this coming blocking regime is likely to be significantly different and so not sure using persistence anymore is the best way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I still think better setups are likely to happen towards mid March. But…we are in a different regime than most of winter.  Yes we had blocking in December but the mid latitude response is significantly different in December than March. A few years ago I showed how in the last 20 years we actually need the pac more so than the atl to be cold in December. That wasn’t always true and it might be a big problem in this -pdo cycle but it is what it is. So this coming blocking regime is likely to be significantly different and so not sure using persistence anymore is the best way to go. 

has there been a reason why december and march have pretty much swapped places recently? march has been very snowy recently (since 2012-13, 8 winters at KIAD had >1" in march and 5 of them had >5")

2 hours ago, Ji said:

This storm is now about 120 hours out....in 99% of situations...the euro would not make any significant shifts now....especially if it was showing a cutter or rain or suppressed for us lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

You’re just trying to gaslight yourself now.  We’re on the southern edge of the significant snowfall (which isn’t even a huge areal coverage due to marginal temps) already. So all it will take is a minor shift to take us out of the game. Even up here I wouldn’t feel safe at all. This is a thread the needle event in either direction. It’s not like 2010 or 2016 where some huge juiced stj wave in a split flow was attacking a blocker in high with cold in place. Those had wiggle room. A change in track of 50 miles or  2-3 degrees wouldn’t have a crazy impact on the outcome. Here a relatively minor adjustment would completely sink us. 

But you know that and you’re just saying this so you can feel justified when you go off and tirade when the euro pulls the rug out, which you likely anticipate happening. 

Glad to be tracking a threat inside 6 days! That's a win for this winter. 

Thinking model's lock into a general track over the next 24 hrs. At that point, we start talking details. If we land on a general euro/cmc/icon solution and the low tracks to our south, it will be interesting to see how the block effects things in the final 96 hrs. Been fun to watch the tuesday storm get punched south over the last 48-72hrs. Looks like areas in southeast PA could even start as snow now, where a few days it was southern new york. 

Obviously, a gfs track dooms pretty much everyone. If we can avoid that cutter solution, I think there's a chance even the cities get into at least some accumulations. 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Some key differences influencing the track of the storm between the GFS, and Euro/CMC:

GFS- Has more interaction with NS energy rotating down around the vort near Hudson, as well as energy digging in behind associated with the next trough.

Euro/CMC- Most of the NS energy near Hudson is shifting eastward out ahead, and also more separation from the digging trough out west with more of a ridge between.

1677844800-zAtjsySDggM.png

1677823200-DVAZH1qZeX4.png

You’re definitely the best on here now at diagnosing this. Wish @showmethesnow would still post his morning briefings. 

But to summarize why those details are hard to resolve and could take longer than usual to get to the final solutions, there are too many waves involved in this scenario. And the wave breaking from each impacts both the high latitude configuration and the confluence but also the wave spacing under it.  It’s asking a lot of guidance to be dead on balls accurate with all these waves in close proximity but that’s what’s necessary in order to get the exact right track correct on our potential storm.  I’ve never expected this to be resolved at long leads given the setup. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

has there been a reason why december and march have pretty much swapped places recently? march has been very snowy recently (since 2012-13, 8 winters at KIAD had >1" in march and 5 of them had >5")

My guess…March was historically more snowy and we simply had a bad stretch. I think it’s the law of averages evening out. As for December, the warning SSTs are likely impacting December the most of all our winter months. Ian showed a great graphic how our first snowfall is consistently moving later over the last 50 years. If the avg SSTs continue to increase we are likely losing Dec as a “winter” month. 

• Like 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

Deep down, I think we all know how this is going to turn out, but we're just desperate to track something, anything, so we just keep going until the last second.  We all know what our fate is, but we gonna keep on keeping on.

Because we're sick people.  

Only question is when will the euro cave to the gps!  

My guess…March was historically more snowy and we simply had a bad stretch. I think it’s the law of averages evening out. As for December, the warning SSTs are likely impacting December the most of all our winter months. Ian showed a great graphic how our first snowfall is consistently moving later over the last 50 years. If the avg SSTs continue to increase we are likely losing Dec as a “winter” month. 

Why was March historically more snowy ? Are average temps colder in March than December ?

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Deep down, I think we all know how this is going to turn out, but we're just desperate to track something, anything, so we just keep going until the last second.  We all know what our fate is, but we gonna keep on keeping on.

Because we're sick people.  

Agree but there is a chance. The blocking does make this more realistic than those past mirages I’ve been making fun of all winter. This one while unlikely has a legit “chance”.  But the thermal boundary still just isn’t right yet. We need a lot to go perfect with wave spacing to make up for the fact the  thermal boundary base state is still to our northwest. I think come mid March we will get some waves where the boundary is to our south and we have less atmospheric hostility to overcome in the snow equation. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blizzard22 said:

Why was March historically more snowy ? Are average temps colder in March than December ?

Going forward March is least likely to be impacted by warmer SSTs. As for the past is seems during the last -pdo March was snowier. That could be random coincidence though. Sometimes it’s just chaos since snow is a pretty random fluke thing in our region. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure the icon look is horrible. It isnt that SW->NE oriented look like the gfs that's tries to cut. Has more of a look sliding W->E with cold pressing to the N. That would make for a much juicier or prolonged overunning for areas N of the boundary. Definitely isn't a strong amped look. A gfs track with weaker system crawling along could work if it can get displaced a bit S

• Like 1

I'm not sure the icon look is horrible. It isnt that SW->NE oriented look like the gfs that's tries to cut. Has more of a look sliding W->E with cold pressing to the N. That would make for a much juicier or prolonged overunning for areas N of the boundary. Definitely isn't a strong amped look. A gfs track with weaker system crawling along could work if it can get displaced a bit S

Agreed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

That's what I posted above. I mean it isnt a fail proof setup, nothing is. But I would take this anywday vs an amped cutter in Pittsburgh at this range.

This is helpful. For mostly ignorant people like me, the lack of digital blue=cave to GFS, even if that's not what's really happening. But if the GFS shows digital blue at 12Z, then I'll immediately become terrified snow won't happen because GFS... even though I'm presently terrified because the GFS is not showing digital blue. 

Scary part? I'm not even really kidding. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

You’re definitely the best on here now at diagnosing this. Wish @showmethesnow would still post his morning briefings. 

But to summarize why those details are hard to resolve and could take longer than usual to get to the final solutions, there are too many waves involved in this scenario. And the wave breaking from each impacts both the high latitude configuration and the confluence but also the wave spacing under it.  It’s asking a lot of guidance to be dead on balls accurate with all these waves in close proximity but that’s what’s necessary in order to get the exact right track correct on our potential storm.  I’ve never expected this to be resolved at long leads given the setup. 

Yes it is definitely 'busy' in the NS, and subtle differences in wave timing/interactions are going to potentially make big differences in the outcome. It is almost always the case that the one result we want requires so much to go right with these wave interactions. As you often say, we need some luck.