• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Very persistent signal for moderate snow and ice impact between "Wed night" and "Thur night" this week

Typhoon Tip

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

EURO now looks pretty much exactly like my first call (think positive snow depth change map, not dumb clowns)...not sure I will change much from the First Call on Sunday.

I saw in your blog that you mentioned concern about the mid levels tracking well inland, which isn’t a good setup for big snows in SNE. It looks like your first call is going to end up being the right idea. That goes to show that the models are good if used correctly, rather than just ripping and reading 10:1 snow maps. That’s why I was skeptical of those gfs 10:1 snow maps that gave even my area a foot. I saw the image on your blog of the mid level low going into Canada and lowered my expectations for snow accordingly (for this threat). The models are still waffling around some so I’m not really sure if for my area I should expect more sleet or ice.

5 minutes ago, NotSureWeather said:

Pretty darn close. Nice job!

I’ve gotten burned in these swfes ripping and reading 10:1 snow maps. Those are especially horrible for these because they count all frozen precip as snow. That’s fine when you are getting all snow, but when you are getting sleet and or ice (which my area especially often does in these setups) 10:1 maps significantly overestimate snow totals. 

19 minutes ago, George001 said:

I’ve gotten burned in these swfes ripping and reading 10:1 snow maps. Those are especially horrible for these because they count all frozen precip as snow. That’s fine when you are getting all snow, but when you are getting sleet and or ice (which my area especially often does in these setups) 10:1 maps significantly overestimate snow totals. 

Look at soundings.  They’ll give you more precise guidance.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

@Lava Rockis not pleased with this development. 

Certainly not.

Was surprised to see this after the mention of the NAM moving S (synoptically).   In actuality, it took PWM "Point" forecast on these maps from 6.5" to 5.7", enough to drop the range even though it's less than an inch different.  

Will just be nice to cover up the mud again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tunafish said:

Certainly not.

Was surprised to see this after the mention of the NAM moving S (synoptically).   In actuality, it took PWM "Point" forecast on these maps from 6.5" to 5.7", enough to drop the range even though it's less than an inch different.  

Will just be nice to cover up the mud again.

I'll take 6-8" vs the euro's 4".

I should probably learn to look at models, but it seemed to me that people in the thread were talking about slightly further south, and slightly colder solutions, which I assumed would result in more snow up by me north of Concord. It sounds like the midlevel warmth is going further north though. The watch is still in place, but seems that they are leaning advisory.  Gene might be safe but sounds like this is not a big event south of the Lakes region and foothills.  I’m kinda surprised.

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Very persistent signal for moderate snow and ice impact between "Wed night" and "Thur night" this week
  • ORH_wxman unpinned this topic