Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

Just now, Ji said:

i know but the surface temp shouldnt be 32-33 in this type of storm. I would of thought colder aloft and warmer on the surface ha

This is near Winchester at 120 hours.  It's close to flipping to snow here.  There would be a really nice 4-6 hour period of heavy snow somewhere, but then again this the 120 hour GFS and I should probably be ashamed for even posting this

GFS_3_2023020800_F120_39.0000N_77.5000W.png

• Haha 2

I think the delay trend went a bit too far. A touch of snow now in Louisiana and Mississippi on the GFS. Upper levels torch quickly after the mid-level center pinches off. I hope this reverses a bit, otherwise we're left with rain and ZR. Shame cause it could be kind of a fun, low expectation, parachute bomb event.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

CMC with an earlier onset than the GFS...gfs definitely looks the slowest right now.

CMC looks a lot like GFS to me at first glance...We need a better track...I'm assuming this will be a dud here and I'll have to drive to elevation somewhere if I want to see snow - an idea a lot more appealing when the storm didnt coincide with the super bowl

Just now, Deck Pic said:

CMC looks a lot like GFS to me at first glance...We need a better track...I'm assuming this will be a dud here and I'll have to drive to elevation somewhere if I want to see snow - an idea a lot more appealing when the storm didnt coincide with the super bowl

just find a room with a big 55 inch TV... Greenbriar? 

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

i know but the surface temp shouldnt be 32-33 in this type of storm. I would of thought colder aloft and warmer on the surface ha

I'll have to dig up the thread but this setup also resembles storm in very late January 2017 (Jan 21st?) that relied almost exclusively on the ULL pass for heavy wet snow.. that one only really ever delivered for favored areas, and in very meager amounts at that.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Chuck has his unique way of saying stuff... but he is right that the base state of the pac, as quantified by those "binary statistics", has contributed to an antecedent airmass that is virtually unworkable and has left us needing a freaking ridiculous solution to try to get snow here. 

we need the GFS Feb 18 airmass

gfs_T2m_neus_43.png

• Like 3

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Sorry guys...

Needless to say I won't be staying up to calculate our snow probabilities tonight.  But based on the thermals on all the ops I would put them somewhere between "snowball in Miami in July and Dante's 9th level of Hell" 

i think the SSW is actually happening in the DC area--

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

I don't know that the track matters much... the surface low takes an inside track but the storm is vertically stacked by then so we are still in the CCB there just isnt any cold, there is no snow really outside of elevation.  It would help if the h5 didnt close off so soon so far south...the easterly wind ahead of it just wrecks the thermals even worse then they already are.  But we're really being silly here...if this was anything close to a typical winter airmass, even a "warm" one by normal standards, that would have been a huge snowstorm on the ICON/GFS/GGEM.  We need so much to go absolutely perfectly here to overcome the thermal situation...its just not realistic to expect it.  Sure if we get super lucky and the thing bombs out perfectly and death bands us enough to snow great but man thats such a super rare anomalous thing to have to root for as our only hope. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't know that the track matters much... the surface low takes an inside track but the storm is vertically stacked by then so we are still in the CCB there just isnt any cold, there is no snow really outside of elevation.  It would help if the h5 didnt close off so soon so far south...the easterly wind ahead of it just wrecks the thermals even worse then they already are.  But we're really being silly here...if this was anything close to a typical winter airmass, even a "warm" one by normal standards, that would have been a huge snowstorm on the ICON/GFS/GGEM.  We need so much to go absolutely perfectly here to overcome the thermal situation...its just not realistic to expect it.  Sure if we get super lucky and the thing bombs out perfectly and death bands us enough to snow great but man thats such a super rare anomalous thing to have to root for as our only hope. 

but then if it dosent close out till its further east--then we run the risk of the storm passing to our south and we dont snow anyway

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Hey, would you please stop wrecking the thermals with your pessimism?  Cold air can sense negativity.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ji said:

but then if it dosent close out till its further east--then we run the risk of the storm passing to our south and we dont snow anyway

Sorry I wasn’t clear. A h5 track that far south can’t work Imo.  It has to not dig as deep and track more west to east just under us. Ideally closing off as it gets to the Apps just to our southwest and swinging through VA and off MD. That’s really the only way I see this working.   By tracking that far south initially it puts us in a 12-24 hour period of easterly flow that obliterates an already awful airmass. That won’t work.  Unless we get an adjustment back north of the h5 this is doomed. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Sorry guys...

Needless to say I won't be staying up to calculate our snow probabilities tonight.  But based on the thermals on all the ops I would put them somewhere between "snowball in Miami in July and Dante's 9th level of Hell" 

sig material

1 hour ago, cbmclean said:

Hey, would you please stop wrecking the thermals with your pessimism?  Cold air can sense negativity.

This cold air senses my optimism as I declare that this will be the one-in-a-billion instance where everything works out and the system bombs out right over the Mid Atlantic and you all end up wishing you had a Tahoe-magnitude snowblower, because you'll get FEET of snow with this.

How's THAT for optimism? Stock up on shovels, IPA's, beer and strap yourselves in. This is gonna be EPIC!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The 0z EPS offers the most workable scenario for snow in our general region. The evolution and track would place significant precip in the higher terrain where it could actually snow given the lack of cold. Verbatim the mean is not bad for the NW burbs either, but again, those temps. This has always been a very low probability period for frozen in the lowlands.

1676246400-oL64E5dGlnA.png

1676224800-g1mjVeA3rXc.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

The 0z EPS offers the most workable scenario for snow in our general region. The evolution and track would place significant precip in the higher terrain where it could actually snow given the lack of cold. Verbatim the mean is not bad for the NW burbs either, but again, those temps. This has always been a very low probability period for frozen in the lowlands.

1676246400-oL64E5dGlnA.png

1676224800-g1mjVeA3rXc.png

There's alot of hits on the individual members. Some are for thr southern parts of the forum and some are for western areas. Overall I thought they looked pretty damn good.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic