Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

34 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the AO plot that is being posted is through the 20th or so. any impacts from the SSW, if it occurs, would be felt in March, so the tweet is a bit intellectually dishonest. but that's par for the course there

if one is going to use model guidance, it should go out far enough, and the GEFS extended and Weeklies both show a -NAO favored, likely from the SPV disruption/split

1352679318_ecmwf-weeklies-all2-avg-nao-box-5641600(1).thumb.png.85d86638023bcdc0b2fc519007e5e47e.pnggfs-ensemble-extended-all-avg-nao-box-5641600.thumb.png.c52cefd968e846bb39c60885ee5b3560.png

That tweet was from a wx watcher lol. No clue

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the AO plot that is being posted is through the 20th or so. any impacts from the SSW, if it occurs, would be felt in March, so the tweet is a bit intellectually dishonest. but that's par for the course there

if one is going to use model guidance, it should go out far enough, and the GEFS extended and Weeklies both show a -NAO favored, likely from the SPV disruption/split

1352679318_ecmwf-weeklies-all2-avg-nao-box-5641600(1).thumb.png.85d86638023bcdc0b2fc519007e5e47e.pnggfs-ensemble-extended-all-avg-nao-box-5641600.thumb.png.c52cefd968e846bb39c60885ee5b3560.png

Sun angle might be a problem by then, but isn't a negative NAO starting to become less negative (Euro weeklies) a signal for a winter storm?

3 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Sun angle might be a problem by then, but isn't a negative NAO starting to become less negative (Euro weeklies) a signal for a winter storm?

it generally is, but you'll never see that on a mean. I just like to see the trend towards blocking developing, especially when there are stratospheric impacts over the next week or so... makes it feel a little bit more secure since there'd be a particular reason for it

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Problem is that some fail to differentiate the pattern from the result....there is a spectrum of sorts. This year is merely a subpar pattern with a ratter result.

For our latitude (S NH to route 2 ) I would say it was a subpar pattern . Such a huge gradient pattern when you throw consistently above normal temperatures and above normal precip with very similar storm tracks  . I think it  makes some “sense” the way it shook out with up and in getting the most (caribou and other areas now above normal) and then a few steep Cut offs until you reach futility land S of Pike . It was (has been )  A truly *incredibly persistent pattern* In someways . For S coastal sne and particularly NYC I think It was a ratter pattern that just was abnormal in the sense it persisted without deviation 

That being said ..it’s not automatically over 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Low DP’s  past two days so not a lot of melting going on here.  The same can’t be said for this subforum. 

Just a continuous 12 month melt from a rat winter to a crappy spring that eventually leads to another hot summeh drought which turns into an subpar foilage season in the fall. Just non stop bitching about the desired weather outcomes not coming to fruition. 

33 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just a continuous 12 month melt from a rat winter to a crappy spring that eventually leads to another hot summeh drought which turns into an subpar foilage season in the fall. Just non stop bitching about the desired weather outcomes not coming to fruition. 

I didn't think the summer was that hot ....  I mean, we own the nocturnal inferno thing.  But the days seemed retrained some beneath memorability.   Ha, namely ...I don't personally remember that as a hot day-time exposure.  

51 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

For our latitude (S NH to route 2 ) I would say it was a subpar pattern . Such a huge gradient pattern when you throw consistently above normal temperatures and above normal precip with very similar storm tracks  . I think it  makes some “sense” the way it shook out with up and in getting the most (caribou and other areas now above normal) and then a few steep Cut offs until you reach futility land S of Pike . It was (has been )  A truly *incredibly persistent pattern* In someways . For S coastal sne and particularly NYC I think It was a ratter pattern that just was abnormal in the sense it persisted without deviation 

That being said ..it’s not automatically over 

It wasn't a ratter pattern even there. Look at December...that was awful luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I didn't think the summer was that hot ....  I mean, we own the nocturnal inferno thing.  But the days seemed retrained some beneath memorability.   Ha, namely ...I don't personally remember that as a hot day-time exposure.  

Early august heat wave was pretty legit. Lots of upper 90s in that one. 

But I agree in the larger scale of recent summers. The humidity I think caps the high temp potential…we want those EML type heat bursts on WNW flow in order to rip a 102F or 103F in the 128-495 belt but we just rarely get them in recent years. Instead we get plenty of 94/72 type Bahamas blue garbage.  

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think 10 days Of a strong block and getting nothing for nyc has probably produced bad luck many times 

Right. I'm sure there are plenty of years which featured a pronounced dearth of snow not comensurste with the degree of opportunity. This was my point about distinguishing between a rat pattern and rat results. Some were rat on both respects...this year on results. But I'm sorry, an extreme NAO block like that near the winter solstice is not a rat pattern. Find that in 2011 or 2001...or 2006.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Anything above 85/65 is hot to me lol. July to August was AN but we did not have a big memorable heat wave IIRC. Lots of 92/70 type of stuff. We probably had a mid 90 stretch somewhere but if BDL ain’t hitting 110 these-days, it’s forgotten. (I kid). 

• Like 1