Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

snowmap.png.1b419ebd8097e8d3d94492bd55d11898.png

I’d rather have the low tracking too far to our SE at this range than it show a flush hit given the 500mb evolution. Plenty of room for things to work out with this setup. Maybe it’s not a KU, but it’s likely somethin’. Now let’s get some ensemble support.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Days 8-10 (GEFS / EPS ensembles)
Days 5-7 (euro, with a lean on the CMC/Ukie for similarity confirmation)
Days 3-5 (GFS / Euro - less euro as we approach D3)
Days 1-3 (NAM / GFS - outcome typically splits the two in some way shape or form)

Damn, this is one of the best posts I've seen here in months! Kudos. I'm no expert on models, and know almost nothing about their skill, but this seems like a great way to track without getting burned too much.

So to recap the 12z runs...

- ensemble mean goes south of us
- Op GFS cuts with 50s and rain
- Op Euro dumps 2 ft over NC & S central VA, cold solidly in the 20s
- Canadian? Who cares until we get under 7 days

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

that fringed humor got  a lot less funny when I moved up this way and we actually started getting...fringed. 

The joke is it doesn’t happen as often as I reference it and in the end over longer periods it doesn’t matter because for every fringe there are 5 storms that we get more. But…the fringe is real.  I’m at the northern edge of this forum at 1100 feet. If we’re discussing a legit threat for the greater DC/Balt forum then by far the bigger risk to me getting left out is for a fringe. Odds of it shifting so north I get all rain are slim.  Fringes happen here usually at least 1 a season but in a normal season they are offset by 4 storms we stay snow and south mixed.  Last year was an anomaly. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The joke is it doesn’t happen as often as I reference it and in the end over longer periods it doesn’t matter because for every fringe there are 5 storms that we get more. But…the fringe is real.  I’m at the northern edge of this forum at 1100 feet. If we’re discussing a legit threat for the greater DC/Balt forum then by far the bigger risk to me getting left out is for a fringe. Odds of it shifting so north I get all rain are slim.  Fringes happen here usually at least 1 a season but in a normal season they are offset by 4 storms we stay snow and south mixed.  Last year was an anomaly. 

I am sure it was. Then again, since it was my first year up here. let's just say that Jan 3, 2022 thing that gave 9 inches give or take Loudon over to DC up to Columbia area while we get about a 1/4 of an inch...left a mark. 

image.png.09058830ab9c9891f7d93724a2f439c1.png50/50 low is way better this run!

Let’s get into the D7ish range with that look on the ensemble and we may be in business! After that, we look for the Euro OP to show something similar in the D5-D7 range and the GFS inside D5. That’s when we know things could truly be coming together.

All of that aside, if we’re just analyzing THIS run, it doesn’t really get much better than that. That’s likely a slow mover too.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic