Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Both LWX and Mt Holly has eyes on the event next week with the usual uncertainty disclaimers. 

We are still at the 'general idea' stage. Low pressure developing off the SE coast, with marginally cold air available. Going forward as the models figure out the subtle interactions between the key features, we will get a better idea of exactly where low pressure will form/whether there will there be multiple lows involved/will there be enough cold air available for the lowlands etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Never take comfort in a south and east solution is my line of thinking. It matters not what the temps are at that point. 

That's kinda where I'm at too. Not buying into this until we some more north solutions...Don't wanna get in the business of trying to will something north from Georgia. I mean, we ain't dealt with a ton of suppression this season yet, but all it would take is that 50/50 we need being TOO strong.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like our 2 minor potential events in the mid range went POOF. Too fast of a flow. Maybe some mangled wet passing flakes Sunday night but temps are still marginal. Other system races/slides South that will be one of the player for the Jan 14ish system. 

6z GFS brought back the minor snow deal for Sunday night. 6z Euro has it too at the end of the run. With marginal cold, should it occur the overnight timing might allow for a little stickage.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Never take comfort in a south and east solution is my line of thinking. It matters not what the temps are at that point. 

In fairness, one should never take comfort in a flush hit solution or a north and west solution either. 

In general, never take comfort. And, man, this board lives up to that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

1200’ elevation in the Blue Ridge not worried about temps. Got to get that precip here! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, WxUSAF said:

It’s close…maybe tomorrow am if it’s still a thing by then?

That sounds reasonable.

This is the one that always had some sneaky potential imo. What mostly makes it work is that NS shortwave digs a bit more it moves across Hudson Bay. I mentioned yesterday it was a little too flat and north, but if it tracked a bit further south we might get a little colder and a better track.

1673233200-WX3W0J60gtc.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

That's kinda where I'm at too. Not buying into this until we some more north solutions...Don't wanna get in the business of trying to will something north from Georgia. I mean, we ain't dealt with a ton of suppression this season yet, but all it would take is that 50/50 we need being TOO strong.

Well the operational GFS was way north. It literally almost cut.  That is if we are talking about the second threat (1/13-1/15)

image.thumb.png.6c420efedf57b77616d652788e630d76.png

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

In my experience it's always better to have a threat north and west of us on the GFS a week out vs. south and east.  

Some 30,000 foot thought this morning 

Good, the high latitude pattern (which I’m including the prevalence of a Hudson high here) is good enough we probably will continue to have hope for these random systems to cut across and if we get lucky time up with cold. It’s a long shot pattern but not completely hopeless like it would be if we had a raging positive AO like 2020. 

Bad, the PNA spike, if we can even call it that, is super temporary. It leads to one shot and then we go back to a very warm look. The hope that the pacific was going to quickly morph to a more favorable look is fading. I really hope we hit on one of these long shot threats the next 10 Days or it could get insufferable in here if it’s Jan 20th with no measurable snow and nothing but torch on the horizon. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Some 30,000 foot thought this morning 

Good, the high latitude pattern (which I’m including the prevalence of a Hudson high here) is good enough we probably will continue to have hope for these random systems to cut across and if we get lucky time up with cold. It’s a long shot pattern but not completely hopeless like it would be if we had a raging positive AO like 2020. 

Bad, the PNA spike, if we can even call it that, is super temporary. It leads to one shot and then we go back to a very warm look. The hope that the pacific was going to quickly morph to a more favorable look is fading. I really hope we hit on one of these long shot threats the next 10 Days or it could get insufferable in here if it’s Jan 20th with no measurable snow and nothing but torch on the horizon. 

You forgot the ugly.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic