Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023

wdrag

On 1/20/2023 at 2:35 PM, EastonSN+ said:

Yup. 3 good years (2 great one average) and 7 complete dumpster fires. I remember one day in the early 90s in Feb was so freaking warm some kids had short sleeves. I do not miss that decade.

Same here.  My craziest memory is watching the Nagano Winter Olympics in 1998 while it was about 70 degrees in February.  There was a freaking thunderstorm one night while I was watching the ice hockey tournament.  Unbelievable.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Big difference between the 3k and 12k NAM snow maps on TT.

All about where that initial overrunning wave goes and if it comes in like a wall or showery/broken up. If we’re hit with that like the NAM shows and Euro to an extent we could get a surprise. If it waits until it’s too warm or overrunning shoots over us to the north we won’t get much of anything before the washout. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

All about where that initial overrunning wave goes and if it comes in like a wall or showery/broken up. If we’re hit with that like the NAM shows and Euro to an extent we could get a surprise. If it waits until it’s too warm or overrunning shoots over us to the north we won’t get much of anything before the washout. 

What did the 6z euro show?

Not saying they’re right but the RGEM and CMC have been consistent for days now that it’s a non event. They haven’t budged. Pretty crazy differences for this close to the event

40 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The differences between the NAM and RGEM for Wednesday are laughable

RGEM has been an excellent model, so it's hard for me to get interested in wednesday as long as RGEM doesn't want anything to do with it. NAM is such a crazy model and has been terrible, so I'm assuming it's going way overboard for wednesday. Even the 3km NAM doesn't look anything like the regular NAM. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

RGEM has been an excellent model, so it's hard for me to get interested in wednesday as long as RGEM doesn't want anything to do with it. NAM is such a crazy model and has been terrible, so I'm assuming it's going way overboard for wednesday. Even the 3km NAM doesn't look anything like the regular NAM. 

The rgem can be warm at times. Like today. It's snowing already here in Lower  Westchester and the rgem up to 12z today had me as all rain. Maybe it will be right for Wednesday but it is wrong today 

12z GFS gives us about an inch of snow before the rain. It's going to have to snow heavily to give us an inch or so of snow though. Light to moderate won't cut it with temps above freezing and a warm ground. Even if RGEM is wrong about holding it back and no snow, I still wouldn't be surprised if it's just some wet snow falling that doesn't accumulate and the NYC record gets broken. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, binbisso said:

The rgem can be warm at times. Like today. It's snowing already here in Lower  Westchester and the rgem up to 12z today had me as all rain. Maybe it will be right for Wednesday but it is wrong today 

RGEM and CMC have a warm/amped bias. If they're the only models showing an event as all rain, you shouldn't be too worried.

6 minutes ago, binbisso said:

RGEM was much closer to reality than NAM for today in the longer range though. Early NAM runs had this area getting a snowstorm while RGEM was all rain. RGEM ended up being right about it being all rain here. I don't see anyone getting the several inches of snow today that the early NAM runs had. NAM was WAY off. 

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

12z GFS gives us about an inch of snow before the rain. It's going to have to snow heavily to give us an inch or so of snow though. Light to moderate won't cut it with temps above freezing and a warm ground. Even if RGEM is wrong about holding it back and no snow, I still wouldn't be surprised if it's just some wet snow falling that doesn't accumulate and the NYC record gets broken. 

Does it really matter if the record gets broken or not at this point? 

• Rjay unpinned this topic