Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

It amazes me that people keep looking at ensemble charts out beyond 14 days. They have effectively no skill. We have seen it over and over, yet people don't learn the lesson. If there's light way out there at the end of tunnel, you won't see it coming until it's much closer. Often it will just surprise you in the mid-range.

This.  It's been mostly LR fantasy this year...

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

You have been on the mark but you are still the only one that thinks winter is over.

Thats actually not true, I think we are pretty much cooked this winter also. If we get a one hit wonder 30" blizzard so be it. 

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Then I have been the only that’s been correct….

I guess no more PM’s from you….

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Thats actually not true, I think we are pretty much cooked this winter also. If we get a one hit wonder 30" blizzard so be it. 

So we should just all quit this forum and stop tracking for the rest of the winter.

Very premature calls by a few people on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Additionally, putting AGW aside for a moment (not discounting it, just not having it in the conversation for the time being), this is very much like the early and late 1990s for those too young to remember. We’ve had these winters before. (Yes, I know that it’s warmer; I’m referring to the rain and then cooldown then cutter, repeat)

I distinctly remember daytime thunderstorms in or around January 1991, because I remember Sam Champion going over the radar on Channel 7 on the news when I got home from grammar school.

Any winter where we have a raging zonal Pacific jet will be a failure for us. The whole continent is flooded with maritime air, it encourages the SE Ridge and any threat is ruined because it will want to cut way west of us. We need major changes- for the PV to reestablish on our side of the pole, the PNA to amplify and some blocking to appear which would hopefully make a dent in the corresponding raging SE Ridge. I see some hope in the longer range but nothing I would jump on. Quite likely Jan is ruined and now we’re hoping for Feb to improve. Feb in a Nina is usually horrible in the East (although I know what’s going on resembles a Nino in some ways). 

• Like 1

Typical Nina but this weather pattern isn't acting like a Nina.

Not yet because of the Nino like PAC jet extension. Once it retracts and the MJO (Phases 3-6) convection starts constructively interfering with the La Niña come the start of February you should see a climo canonical Niña pattern take over

ignorant question, but i dont really know anything aside from looking at models and i just want some damn snow. if there were to be a nor'easter this season, about how fast do they develop? they're relatively fast forming storms right? just wondering if it would be hard for a model to pick up on one more than 5 days out

Just now, vegan_edible said:

ignorant question, but i dont really know anything aside from looking at models and i just want some damn snow. if there were to be a nor'easter this season, about how fast do they develop? they're relatively fast forming storms right? just wondering if it would be hard for a model to pick up on one more than 5 days out

Big storms are usually sniffed out 10 days in advance. 

50 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Not yet because of the Nino like PAC jet extension. Once it retracts and the MJO (Phases 3-6) convection starts constructively interfering with the La Niña come the start of February you should see a climo canonical Niña pattern take over

I think you attribute too much causal certainty to ENSO, MJO, and other climate indices. Most of the correlations are weak, and the indices themselves, broadly defined. There is a lot of randomness in weather outcomes.

Any winter where we have a raging zonal Pacific jet will be a failure for us. The whole continent is flooded with maritime air, it encourages the SE Ridge and any threat is ruined because it will want to cut way west of us. We need major changes- for the PV to reestablish on our side of the pole, the PNA to amplify and some blocking to appear which would hopefully make a dent in the corresponding raging SE Ridge. I see some hope in the longer range but nothing I would jump on. Quite likely Jan is ruined and now we’re hoping for Feb to improve. Feb in a Nina is usually horrible in the East (although I know what’s going on resembles a Nino in some ways). 

I’ll be honest with you: half of the stuff you just said to me sounded like the nanny in Muppet Babies.

Agree.
Also WRT your AGW comment, I feel like if I do not acknowledge AGW in a post about the past I ruffle feathers for some reason. That should never be the case though.
I too believe that we are warming for a couple of reasons, but I disagree with some who believe we are in a new era and we are the next Miami (I hope someone does not feel the need to reply and argue my opinion).
We will have another great period again in the future just hope we do not wait 30 years again

Right. Is it happening? Absolutely. Are we now Atlanta? Ehh…

I feel more and more like my dad who counseled me to have patience when I had ZERO snow days in grammar school (1987 through 1993) until the absolute last minute, March 1993.

58 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We could have gotten a coastal snowstorm this weekend if the multiple shortwaves interacted just a little differently. The trof axis has good amplitude and orientation and there is sufficient cold air available. Snowstorms are local phenomena that depend on nuances in features and their evolution. Yes the background airmass and longwave jet structure is important, but it's usually the minor details that deliver snow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

So we should just all quit this forum and stop tracking for the rest of the winter.

Very premature calls by a few people on here.

Not at all!  We should stay on the forum, both to commiserate and to continue learning from one-another.  There is definitely much to be gained from refining our abilities to sniff out the warning signs of a crumby winter in advance and theorize about what might get us out of the snow slump we are in.

Just now, eduggs said:

I'd take those OP GFS and CMC runs through the end of the mid-range. Couple of wintry threats there. Ensembles say these likely end up weak, dampened waves or cutters. Let's see if the EC shows any movement in the same direction.

I think our best bet for snow is through SWFEs. You need the shortwaves to stay weak though. 

Even in bad patterns it can still find a way to snow and we're approaching our most favorable climo period for snow. 

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic