• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023

wdrag

I see no reason for optimism for the rest of January, Feb 4-6 may be the period of change either towards or into a colder wintry setup but it may be a one-shot winter that warms up rapidly again after that one good interval. Colder air masses will probably show up in central Canada after about the 20th and edge slowly (too slowly for most) towards the interior northeast US, but a coastal storm track of any note seems unlikely before early February. 

As you know, a record high was tied recently with 1950 and that January was somewhat similar (although much colder in western interior regions). Another surge of warmth occurred around 25th and 26th of January that winter, then things improved slowly and the best winter synoptics were mid-Feb to mid-Mar. With the weaker stand by cold air this winter, I figure it may come in one brief shot. And with that warm pool to the east, its best chance of being operational may be the climatological peak of winter storm frequency, early to mid February. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Morning thoughts…

Showers are likely this morning. A steadier rain could develop late this afternoon or tonight. It will turn much milder. High temperatures will reach the lower and middle 50s in most areas.  Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 53°

Newark: 55°

Philadelphia: 56°

Rain will end tomorrow. A seasonably cool weekend will follow.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 39.3°; 15-Year: 40.2°

Newark: 30-Year: 39.8°; 15-Year: 40.9°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 41.1°; 15-Year: 42.0°

• Thanks 3

The next 8 days are averaging    40degs.(35/45) or +7.

Month to date is    45.5[+11.1].         Should be     43.1[+9.3] by the 20th.

Reached 42 here yesterday.

Today:   40 to 51, T rising to 51 by tomorrow AM, rain, windy later.

Snow situation:    EURO is 0% till the 22nd. and the GFS is 0% till the 26th.

Do these BN heights get here by the end of the month in a meaningful way or not?     EURO/GFS Ensembles are similar:

1673503200-baNBFJDpZ6c.png

44*(70%RH) here at 6am.{was 40* at midnight}drizzle.      48* at Noon.      50* at 6pm.      Thunder/rain-5:25pm-5:50pm.

• Like 3

IMO the most likely way for Central Park to score a half inch or more in a la Nina setup is something similar to the below. Not saying this one, however an overrunning event. Usually occurs with an RNA and some semblance of blocking (50/50 low for instance). 

A typical la Nina pattern in February WITH BLOCKING has historically produced snowfall in this way.

image.thumb.png.9b833ccd17d53f33bcad33a4aecbb195.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

IMO the most likely way for Central Park to score a half inch or more in a la Nina setup is something similar to the below. Not saying this one, however an overrunning event. Usually occurs with an RNA and some semblance of blocking (50/50 low for instance). 

A typical la Nina pattern in February WITH BLOCKING has historically produced snowfall in this way.

a half inch is meaningless, we want the record

and I'm a snowfall purist GIVE ME ALL SNOW OR GIVE ME NOTHING

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Saw two flashes in the sky this morning from central Union County NJ looking towards the east.  Doesn't seem lightning is present.  I didn't hear of any electrical stations being sabotaged...

There is very loud construction happening on my block for the last two mornings yuck

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

a half inch is meaningless, we want the record

and I'm a snowfall purist GIVE ME ALL SNOW OR GIVE ME NOTHING

Yeah I kind of want to get the Central Park record out of the way. Finish what 97/98 couldn't. 

The only think I don't want is the overreacting that may come with it (i.e. this is the new norm, we should get used to it, winters like 14/15 are extinct, NY is the new Atlanta, etc etc).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

There is some chance this 19th/20th feature suppresses S-E in time. 

The advertised pattern change nearing and especially post the 20th, may be indirectly involved in why.  Noticing in both the GGEM and Euro solutions...riding is approaching the western continent and coming on board over the end frames of the 00z run.  That may influence the aspects already over the eastern continent.

May be evidenced in the NAO telecon, which is slumping through the period, ... moving a scalar mode of ~+1SD toward neutral.   While not a phase reversal, I suspect that is responding to the 'crunch' of the wave spacing across N/A ( transitively causing the NAO domain heights to begin to rise 2ndary/ or non-linear wave response if we wanna get into a popsicle headache). But that backs us into a plausibility for less Lakes cutter.

The thing is... the EPS and GEPs are not interested - so that puts this into a low confidence, albeit still non-zero chance for success.   Sometimes, however, the souped up main operational versions begin to converge on an idea and through rarer, the less refined dispersed solutions then gather in the other direction.  I wouldn't bother to mention this post but...we in fact have modeled hemispheric en mass circulation modulation taking place that offers feasibility.  So we'll see

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Kuchera 24 hour snowfall from 06z/12 EC OP cycle as ocean storm backing onto coast possible?

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 8.30.21 AM.png

Walt, it's a personal view ...but I suspect it ...and the 19th/20th ..et al, trending very recently, may be transitively related to the pattern change.

Noting the deep layer tropospheric circulation mode over much of central and northern Asia is changing from a westerly predominating flow to a north, in as little as 48 hours! 

That sends a robust signal down stream and resets the dial across the Pac... Not sure why the GFS has been resisting, but the 0z GEF mean resumed... I don't believe a progressive/native GFS bias is well suited for where the hemisphere is heading post the 20th... so that's negotiable. But the GGEM and Euro are already pressing a latitude ridge signal into western continent by the end of their runs ... 

The ocean storm in the foreground may be a coincidence, but it actually fits where the hemisphere will be about a week later - fascinating.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

SWFE events rarely produce for people near the coast here. We need blocking or something to force redevelopment and we all see how the SE Ridge is usually under modeled. Doesn’t do us much good to start a pattern where I-90 Boston to Buffalo starts getting nailed but at least our rain is colder after an hour of slush. 

• Like 3

SWFE events rarely produce for people near the coast here. We need blocking or something to force redevelopment and we all see how the SE Ridge is usually under modeled. Doesn’t do us much good to start a pattern where I-90 Boston to Buffalo starts getting nailed but at least our rain is colder after an hour of slush. 

In a canonical La Niña February (-PNA/RNA, Aleutian ridge, SE ridge) pattern, you would need a west-based -NAO block with a 50/50 low to produce in the metro area
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

In a canonical La Niña February (-PNA/RNA, Aleutian ridge, SE ridge) pattern, you would need a west-based -NAO block with a 50/50 low to produce in the metro area

You pretty much need that here for any condition, not just Ninas. Btw this year has behaved more like a strong Nino than a Nina. 

You don't typically see days of flooding rains in southern California during a Nina. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic