Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

16 hours ago, Tatamy said:

People out on eastern LI need to watch closely the model runs for Sunday.  Big changes right now for Cape Cod / SE Massachusetts on the GFS/CMC with the following ULL.

100%.

This reminds me of a storm that was to go OTS about 20 years (Maybe 23?) and clipped from about Rt. 112 East with some pretty appreciable snows. 

Yeah, pretty reliable day 11-15 model bias for at least the last 90 days.

https://frontierweather.dtn.com/verification.html
55829ACA-842A-41E6-984F-57B6D12A8B9B.png.14399ce582850816d52381aa04ee43c0.png

And it’s going to happen again. The WAR/SE ridge is going to trend much stronger as we get closer and so is the RNA. You can see the -PNA on the models by the tail end of the month/start of February. Pretty clear at this point we are going to go climo canonical La Niña February as the forcing moves to the IO and Maritime Continent. MJO phases 3-6 and it constructively interferes with the La Niña
  • Weenie 2

13 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

And it’s going to happen again. The WAR/SE ridge is going to trend much stronger as we go closer and so is the RNA. You can see the -PNA on the models by the tail end of the month/start of February. Pretty clear at this point we are going to go climo canonical La Niña February as the forcing moves to the IO and Maritime Continent. MJO phases 3-6 and it constructively interferes with the La Niña

The trough in the West and the ridge axis near the East Coast has been the common theme. More Niña-like in December with the Aleutians Ridge. Followed by more of a Nino-like Aleutians low in January. But the storm track is still running through the Great Lakes under both regimes. 

5A4EA42F-1E2F-4A58-B2F9-4A9A8DBF649D.gif.fc4a14b5d5b2360201dcecfc34490f49.gif

746028F8-30E7-49A9-965B-828FE32FCAC0.gif.bf977679aff895c9f664d5439ddac5ed.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The trough in the West and the ridge axis near the East Coast has been the common theme. More Niña-like in December with the Aleutians Ridge. Followed by more of a Nino-like Aleutians low in January. But the storm track is still running through the Great Lakes under both regimes. 

5A4EA42F-1E2F-4A58-B2F9-4A9A8DBF649D.gif.fc4a14b5d5b2360201dcecfc34490f49.gif

746028F8-30E7-49A9-965B-828FE32FCAC0.gif.bf977679aff895c9f664d5439ddac5ed.gif

Seems to be unbreakable this year for the most part. 

Just one of those years I guess.

16 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

And it’s going to happen again. The WAR/SE ridge is going to trend much stronger as we go closer and so is the RNA. You can see the -PNA on the models by the tail end of the month/start of February. Pretty clear at this point we are going to go climo canonical La Niña February as the forcing moves to the IO and Maritime Continent. MJO phases 3-6 and it constructively interferes with the La Niña

You may be absolutely correct and you’re undoubtedly extremely knowledgeable. I actually really enjoy your posts despite your reputation for being a downer. 

With that said, I do find it kind of odd that on a science forum we have posters telling the professionals here that they’re wrong (or in SnoSki’s case actually calling one “naive?”).  It is also, undoubtedly, much easier to keep calling for essentially a continuation of “warm and shitty” during a warm and shitty winter. 

I think what becomes irksome (at least IMHO) is how you guys have a tendency to imply what you’re saying is verbatim fact and not just an interpretation or opinion. Even if you end up right, I’m still going to lend more weight to what the professional meteorologists that post here have to offer on the subject. 

Of course it doesn’t mean they’re infallible or that you (and others) are wrong, certainly. But the point is we don’t know for certain how things are going to play out. It’s been a very complicated winter to forecast for the multitude of reasons we all know 50x over by now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

No one posted but the NAM is closer with Sunday's snows....that same WAR is pushing this a bit west

namconus_asnow_neus_29.png

The WAR failed us on the third storm in December, watch it fail us now too.

It either secures a rainy scenario or allows for an offshore track.

This is just one of those winters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Both the CMC and Euro show something interesting at the end of their runs. May be fools gold but I'm still watching the last week in January. 

The fantasy storms showing up again I think is a good sign, we weren't even seeing that on the models in a while (especially if its showing up on models other than just the gfs).     

The EPS is already correcting stronger with the SE Ridge day 11-15 from earlier runs. So we may not next see much in the way of cold or snow then. Still looks like a Great Lakes storm track. We would probably need some help from the stratosphere to try and shift the pattern. 

New run
EB02705A-B33C-451F-AA0A-2DA1E4529EE1.thumb.png.4dec51331800a3f263a29e80143f19b3.png
Old run
6467B32D-78D0-4AA9-9AC7-5BD4C7468382.thumb.png.edf46337a1471f6d9a30122ec267aa37.png

Yep. The -PNA correction is next. We’ve seen this movie before
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

100%. No -NAO block, no 50/50 low. SE ridge, RNA. Cutter/inland runner city. I don’t really care what JB and the other weenie mets say, that is not an east coast snowstorm pattern

FWIW JB went low on snow-predicted less than 15 inches for NYC.  Barring a miracle that looks like a good call....

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic