Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

actually rippin pretty good here now, good growth, closing in on .5"

Sloppy analysis ... I have not honesty been paying much attention to today's affairs. But just cursory eval against synoptic awareness, a nice little warm advection snow burst.   Radar filling in rather quickly over CT and western MA over the last hour..

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sloppy analysis ... I have not honesty been paying much attention to today's affairs. But just cursory eval against synoptic awareness, a nice little warm advection snow burst.   Radar filling in rather quickly over CT and western MA over the last hour..

hey, I'll take what I can... I'll be on the road this time tomorrow headed to Soflo for like a month, so it'll be the last white I see, outside some crazy chance it snows in south Florida... official, .5" and I'm now at 8" on the season, woohoo

the 06z GEFS has a really interesting pattern evolution, as the strong -AO ends up dislodging the TPV into Canada. there are also hints of a -NAO developing, which would help greatly with this kind of -EPO setup. a decent handful of members have a ridge bridge between the potential -NAO and -EPO, which would be lights out. there's even some split flow with the weak troughing over the SW US

f384.thumb.gif.dee6d7c3f7551c7cdd9220acd213d7c8.gif

so, even though the GEFS has some initial weak SE ridging as the pattern establishes itself, which often happens, the pattern quickly becomes very cold and pretty damn favorable north of Philly. I like seeing the signals that the TPV will get displaced and elongated, as we'd have no source region issues at all and HPs will pack a bigger punch... antecedent airmasses are more likely to be favorable as well, and there's semi-permanent confluence where the TPV locates itself:

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1673503200-1674367200-1674885600-40-1.thumb.gif.b29e465d0787f27ebfeb553473ab29eb.gif

the EPS and GEPS look favorable due to a farther E ridge into the PNA domain. they both manage to keep the SE ridge offshore and the baroclinic zone S. these patterns would provide numerous chances:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-4777600.thumb.png.c93f9b125d6d841365d69934c0e60115.pngcmc-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-4777600.thumb.png.3bc406a70c141bdc8432d3673ab34554.png

I do understand the hesitation and even the pessimism given how this winter has gone, believe me. it's been really frustrating. but looking in a vacuum, this has the potential to become a legitimately good pattern with a bit of luck. there is a risk of cutters, but there's a risk in pretty much every pattern outside of Feb 2010. we're likely going to see one around the 22nd or so that establishes the cold airmass, but that's how these types of patterns go

moving forward, I want to see the -NAO trend a bit more cohesive. this has been happening, but this would change the pattern into something decent to good into a potentially great one. I also want to see the +PNA ridge tick east or for the cross polar flow to strengthen via the potential cutoff high N of AK. this would "force" cold air east regardless of the PNA, similar to what the GEFS has

overall, I still want to wait a bit to see which ensemble suite has the correct evolution, but I'm honestly kind of excited to see where this will go. if the boundary is far enough south, which is certainly possible even without -NAO help (which may show up), then these types of patterns can provide events quickly. regardless, there will be tons of cold air on our side of the globe, and it's a thousand times better than what we've been seeing for the last couple weeks

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Anytime models hint at SE ridging it's a major concern. It just has to verify stronger than forecast, very easy to do, and welcome to cutter land. 

Occasionally you can get multiple cutters that force the boundary east and then eventually the last shortwave in the series can be a coastal that brings snow. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Anytime models hint at SE ridging it's a major concern. It just has to verify stronger than forecast, very easy to do, and welcome to cutter land. 

Occasionally you can get multiple cutters that force the boundary east and then eventually the last shortwave in the series can be a coastal that brings snow. 

it's not always a death sentence. the WAR is the main reason why 2013-14 and 2014-15 were so snowy. numerous waves that were OTS 3-5 days out were brought back to the coast and delivered snow because of it

if the TPV is sitting overhead, you'll just be cold and dry while the Carolinas get slammed, which is what happened in March 2014

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it's not always a death sentence. the WAR is the main reason why 2013-14 and 2014-15 were so snowy. numerous waves that were OTS 3-5 days out were brought back to the coast and delivered snow because of it

Thanks so much for clarifying, really appreciate your take.

Ya he’s all worried(might need a break)…I don’t know why, it can’t get any worse for him, or us in SNE for that matter. I realize he’s further south and it becomes harder there, with a SE ridge.  

We’ve been snowing here for about 90 plus minutes. Everything white and 30 degrees…including the pavement for those who thought the ground was too warm. :axe:

About .5”.  4.3” on the season. Creeping up lol. 

27 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

hey, I'll take what I can... I'll be on the road this time tomorrow headed to Soflo for like a month, so it'll be the last white I see, outside some crazy chance it snows in south Florida... official, .5" and I'm now at 8" on the season, woohoo

Nice. I'm surprised I have more in Westfield this year than you have in Winsted. This half inch will put me at 11.5 inches

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Thanks so much for clarifying, really appreciate your take.

Ya he’s all worried(might need a break)…I don’t know why, it can’t get any worse for him, or us in SNE for that matter. I realize he’s further south and it becomes harder there, with a SE ridge.  

We’ve been snowing here for about 90 plus minutes. Everything white and 30 degrees…including the pavement for those who thought the ground was too warm. :axe:

About .5”.  4.3” on the season. Creeping up lol. 

.2” on the season here lol

• Sad 3

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I just think this season has behaved strangely so far and with persistency. If it snaps back, as it always does, then we can rock to close out the season. Hopefully it snaps back in time though and not in April-May lol. 

Oh ya…completely understood where you’re coming from.  It’s still January…that’s the very good news.