Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

At some point you need some kind of agreement between the ops and ensembles. I’m not saying they need to show and lock in D7, 8, 9, 10 events, but the ensembles have led us into the abyss with false hope. 

Ya I don’t know…too far out to take them Seriously either.  Where did this potential for the cape come from? Things change and pop as patterns change. I wouldn’t be too worried about a 16 day OP run. 

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya I don’t know…too far out to take them Seriously either.  Where did this potential for the cape come from? Things change and pop as patterns change. I wouldn’t be too worried about a 16 day OP run. 

It’s hard for me to take anything seriously until it’s an imminent threat, but I know I’m probably in the minority on that. No shot taken at anyone here.

• Like 1

it's also very important to note that when dealing with -EPO pattern that feature lots of low level cold, heights can be very misleading

using the 12z GFS OP as an example, there's a huge mid level ridge centered over the NE US, absolute torch, right?

gfs_z500a_us_54.thumb.png.690b27ce325210b5e4ac53bbf2d3e199.png

nope! not even close. there's a ton of low level cold air in SE Canada with highs in the teens and 20s in New England. a WSW level thump then ensues

gfs_T850_us_54.thumb.png.dd9487cd9811b0e3d49282dd1104bf2c.png

keep this in mind when people freak out about weak SE ridges or WARs in the extended on the means. it tells you absolutely nothing about the low levels. the heights are only high because it's torching at like 500-700mb when it's insignificant to precip type

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The OP GFS has a good SWFE here anyway

It bothers me that the last several cycles of the GFS operational version have/are just about 180 degrees out of sync with the EPS in the 240+ time range, wrt to the 500 mb isohypses layout.

It doesn't bother me for deterministic forecasting - per se... But I do feel pretty strongly that a pattern change ...if indeed that takes place, would likely already be exerting between D6 and 10.  SO what? is the GFS trying to avoid even changing that pattern?  

• Like 1