• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

Not seeing any super anomalous warmth on the means after the mild cutter/cold and dry period(the fruits of our epic pattern!).

Looks mild for a time for sure, probably several days in the low to mid 50s, maybe warmer ahead of any potential storm that would probably track well west during that period.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not seeing any super anomalous warmth on the means after the mild cutter/cold and dry period(the fruits of our epic pattern!).

Looks mild for a time for sure, probably several days in the low to mid 50s, maybe warmer ahead of any potential storm that would probably track well west during that period.

Yeah, without using the overused “R” word, the weeklies still maintain a mean eastern trough over the east through Jan. Key is to pull that western ridge far enough east to prevent storms from cutting. 

Also the NAO seems to be going neutral or weakly positive. That may not be a bad thing with that +TNH. 

• Like 2

I guess root for the GEPS for those that don't want to see any relaxation. Very brief pattern reshuffle then back to the same general look for early Jan. I am kind of in favor of blowing it up and trying something a little different at this point. GEFS and EPS going more towards that idea.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I guess root for the GEPS for those that don't want to see any relaxation. Very brief pattern reshuffle then back to the same general look for early Jan. I am kind of in favor of blowing it up and trying something a little different at this point. GEFS and EPS going more towards that idea.

I guess Doug K. Is popping champagne bottles right now. :lol:

Reload End of year/ beginning of January.

So we are looking at mid - January for a more favorable pattern. Maybe even a little later than that.

Damn.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

So we are looking at mid - January for a more favorable pattern. Maybe even a little later than that.

Damn.

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

So the dude who said we could touch 70 next 2 week period and the other dude who kept saying shut the blinds might actually verify? Amazing stuff. 

I've heard the -nao ao seems to perform better in our area in jan and feb..march..that it's not as effective in December. Or maybe because there is usually colder weather avaliable...

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Damn.

Actually the EPS look at the end of its run is heading back towards the same general longwave pattern with a PNA ridge and hints of a -EPO. At least for now the Pac seems to remain generally in a non hostile state, which is always the biggest battle in a Nina.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

I've heard the -nao ao seems to perform better in our area in jan and feb..march..that it's not as effective in December. Or maybe because there is usually colder weather avaliable...emoji1.png

I know others may disagree, but in a Nina I will take a -EPO/neutral to +PNA to increase chances for cold air delivery, vs. Pacific puke and a beautiful but impotent -NAO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I know others may disagree, but in a Nina I will take a -EPO/neutral to +PNA to increase chances for cold air delivery, vs. Pacific puke and a beautiful but impotent -NAO.

Later in the season we can get by with a more hostile Pac and a beautiful -NAO as wavelengths shorten, but this time of year…

Personally, I’m not punting the last 8 days of this month. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Later in the season we can get by with a more hostile Pac and a beautiful -NAO as wavelengths shorten, but this time of year…

I feel like we have to get this weeks massive storm out of the way first to see how that shuffles things. It’s way too early to be skipping the rest of December. 

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Well you know I cant be lol.

The 27-28th potential is still there, with the Canadian mean continuing to have the strongest signal. Makes some sense as it really never breaks down the cold pattern, and certainly not as quickly. It seems to have performed pretty well lately, but I don't track model scores.

1672185600-wVHzOoG2iR0.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

So it's a zero chance the big storm this week doesn't shift east some for more white? We locked in now...

Some adjustments are still possible. The wester you are the better the chances for something frozen at the beginning and maybe again at the end, the way it looks to me. Over here, it's pretty much locked in as a mild rain event with following cold.

25 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Some adjustments are still possible. The wester you are the better the chances for something frozen at the beginning and maybe again at the end, the way it looks to me. Over here, it's pretty much locked in as a mild rain event with following cold.

Yeah, I am still in the game for a white Christmas out here, but anything over 4 or 5 inches seems out of the realm of possibilities at the moment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Yeah, I am still in the game for a white Christmas out here, but anything over 4 or 5 inches seems out of the realm of possibilities at the moment.

I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility for us to exceed 5 inches out this way. We can get thumped on the front end and snag another inch or 2 with the frontal passage. And whatever does fall will stick around for a while at least. 

• Like 2

• nj2va changed the title to January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic