Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

13 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

It'll be interesting to see the upslope potential after this storm passes by in the mountains. Probably only excited about upslope because I'm headed to Wisp from the 23rd to the 26th haha

It’s far out to parse these type of details but using the 12z GFS OP as an example, that’s a lot of energy rounding a very robust 500 energy through the mountains, coupled with ripping winds out of the NW, and unfrozen lakes…this is a pretty sweet upslope setup.  Caveats that this is based on what one day 5/6 OP run is showing.  But the potential for upslope is there.

image.thumb.png.c5bebcbedbb39fcbcc7cc3e6be3dff92.png

We’re getting upslope snow showers here today in a non-perfect setup (e.g. there’s little energy / winds to enhance it, unlike that setup) but its been snowing since last night.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Did the pattern ever get established in the first place? Lol

Well, not yet lol. But it is decent right now, and will get 'better'. That doesn't always mean we get snow ofc, just because we want it. Just as the guidance has kicked the can to get to the more favorable look, it could also be doing the same in breaking it down too quickly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Hope the eps is wrong. By New Years Eve all of the US is well above normal 850s.

It's pretty disgusting.

Just a few days ago the EPO was forecasted to be around neutral to slightly positive but now it's forecasted to go strongly positive. Tough to get any arctic air in the U.S. despite the other indices being favorable. Good news is that it look short lived as EPO should head down after right the new year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Hope the eps is wrong. By New Years Eve all of the US is well above normal 850s.

It's pretty disgusting.

Chances are with that limited period of the AK vortex we would not flood the country and torch that fast with a mean trof in the east...all 3 ensembles continue insisting that the relaxation is brief and the vortex backs up into the Aleutians D14-16 and we begin going cold again.  

• Like 9

So I wanted to share a couple thoughts.

I grew up in this area and have lived here up until 2010, and it’s really not common to get sig snows in December… even at all. 

December is not a snowy month here. We’re normally lucky to even get a couple of inches. 

I feel that the 6”+ers we got here since 2002 and the 2009 HECS had us spoiled and raised our expectations for snow in Decembers. 

Even I get caught up in the model drama sometimes, but not getting much, if any, snow in December is the norm as far as I can remember… and that has always been the case here.

Onto January!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Snow into Louisiana though. :popcorn:

Lol. I was just going to post atleast Louisiana gets snow.

What a disappointing day of runs.

What makes it worse is it doesn't look like much behind it either. Maybe a 3 or 4 day window before it warms up towards New years.

• Like 1

• nj2va changed the title to January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic