Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Actually, we're discussing it because you had another dumbass comment to make about you taking a vacation. The fact that weather down there affects weather up here is secondary.

I'm sorry once this storm passes, there's zero chances for a good system in the next 15 days.  Pacific air floods the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sciascia said:

You know, if you just look at this through the unrealistic Kuchera maps, it still looks like a solid event!

I honestly think that the wind excuse for the kuchera is overused a bit.  And if system becomes a little flatter it doesn't wrap up as much. It may not be as windy as first thought

Less snow and more wind

Or

More snow less wind

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

If I lived in the Chicagoland area, I would consider a road trip to SBN.  Short drive, and with ND on break you can probably get a great deal on lodging.

SBN still in the game for possible double digit totals. Berrien County, just to our north, might be the best place to get blizzard conditions locally.

Heading after work to fill the gas jugs for the inevitable power outage to run the generator. Will be an interesting Xmas weekend with the in-laws traveling up  Would suck trying to find an open gas station during the heart of the storm if i were to run out of gas. With temps plummeting hopefully people have other options for home heating or could be a rough few days. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

06z NAM has the center steadily deepening to 970 mb tracking up western L Huron to near APN MI by end of run 18z Friday and would give sw MI possible 2-3 feet of lake effect snow with 60 mph wind gusts. From that track I think ORD would see 5-8" and that would increase around southern L Mich to 24 inches by Benton Harbor, probably about 18" for SBN mostly lake effect. Storm pulls in Atlantic moisture but probably too late if this model verified, heavy snow for ne ON. Lake Erie squall potential looks high after fropa and could give BUF another heavy fall late 23rd into 24th. Could all change on later guidance of course, but there seems to be no plausible track that would fail to dump very heavy snow in sw MI and n IN. Given the likely temps and wind speeds, long-lead warnings were certainly justified and even 1-3 inches of snow blowing around in those conditions would be very dangerous. 

Have never seen anything like what Buf NWS has in their forecast discussion

320371909_556239272699203_5136390027467936257_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

yup, beach house.

I had no problem with Tampa - lived  there 2.5 years until 2019.  Of course, choose your area wisely as with anywhere. It was close enough for me to gravitate to St. Pete Beach a couple of evenings during the week and Anna Maria Island on Sundaze...  

Watching this one from out West. Stoked for the folks back home. 

FWIW, we're just waking up to a 10-12" storm here in Southern BC; the same energy thats going to spin up the big system out east. Quite an over-performer here (forecast 6-8") and it turns out a CMC/ECMWF blend was more accurate than the GFS a few days out. Do with that information what you will!

• Like 2

there's something strange with the COD 12Z GEFS output.  Burying Illinois and Wisconsin with a huge amount of snow on Friday evening and Saturday morning with the low pressure moving very slowly.  

ETA:  I think it is displaying the 12Z model run from yesterday, which explains why the low looks about 24 hours behind.

Both NAM and GFS look a bit off in their handling of the short wave rounding the base of the trof, they seem to be trying to develop the eventual low out of the leading wave and trof in place ahead of the energy and they suppress the short wave as a sort of last piece of energy for the southeast U.S. cold front. I think earlier model runs may have had a better depiction with the energy rounding the base of the trof deepening over MO and IL rather than this concept of the low forming in IN and moving to MI. Either way all of the expectations for MI, sw ON, wNY snow belts would verify but there may be a better (worse for public) outcome for WI and IL, maybe even IA and MO. Later model runs (perhaps starting with 12z Euro) may start to drift back to the earlier more intense solutions. I can't see how the overperforming start here would translate into a weaker short wave rounding the base after DEN gets a brief blizzard tonight and Wed a.m., would expect a snowstorm to develop in OK and s KS as the low drops into Texas. I think it will stay more of a dominant feature rather than getting absorbed into some developing low way out ahead of the main energy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm