Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

2 minutes ago, King James said:

Brutal AFDs from wx offices yesterday if this one ends up crapping the bed. 

RC, please have Izzi save his write up & put it in a drawer. That way, he can break it out when something great comes along.

Thundersnow, 1-2 feet, all those things that were fun to read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, mimillman said:

Tough thankless job tbf. If you nail the call the public thinks “congrats you did your job.” If you call something wrong the public loses faith immediately no matter how good you are 

For sure. I think this sub overall felt they jumped the gun and RC alluded to LOT getting pulled into the fray due to other offices wanting to coordinate 

I just think it’s objectively fair to say that the alarm was sounded too early 

I appreciate all the Mets who drop in and give us their expert opinions. Can’t win them all 

Everything is in hindsight of course.  I agreed with the call when it happened due to the wind/cold and holiday.   

But in hindsight, this is not the "olden days" where information takes long to get to the public.  It's New Age, with smartphones where nformation is immediately sent to the public and in publics eyes. 1.5-2 days is plenty of lead time now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Everything is in hindsight of course.  I agreed with the call when it happened due to the wind/cold and holiday.   

But in hindsight, this is not the "olden days" where information takes long to get to the public.  It's New Age, with smartphones where nformation is immediately sent to the public and in publics eyes. 1.5-2 days is plenty of lead time now

100% this.

Not only are warnings and public messages instantly sent its also message boards like this that are quickly spread and taken out of context. Still thinking a watch will be maintained only because of high winds/open areas and holiday travel.

8 minutes ago, King James said:

For sure. I think this sub overall felt they jumped the gun and RC alluded to LOT getting pulled into the fray due to other offices wanting to coordinate 

I just think it’s objectively fair to say that the alarm was sounded too early 

I appreciate all the Mets who drop in and give us their expert opinions. Can’t win them all 

Yes, I appreciate RC’s context that they were pulled in early. Not a comfortable position to be in but I could see why some CWAs, perhaps less acquainted to these types of systems, wanted to get an early warning out to the public.

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

IMO, a Winter Storm Watch was still the right decision as it is for the *POTENTIAL* of a warning criteria storm (which the potential, fleeting it may be, is still there). If things do completely fall apart, the watch can always be downgraded to an advisory or cancelled.

Fair point. But publics perception of a "Watch" is unfortunately not the same as the definition. As well as the verbiage used was intended to hit hard

• Thanks 1

Though the amount of snow that's likely to fall in Illinois and Wisconsin, and possibly Indiana and Michigan, appears that it will be reduced compared to what guidance suggested yesterday, I think trying to do "verification" on a feature 48 to 72 hours before it has even happened seems a bit misplaced.  I think some of this commentary would be more valid if, come Friday evening, only a couple of inches of snow, in fact, fell. 

Since I'll be up in the Fox Valley, I am hoping for a lot of snow, so the recent model trends are just as disappointing to me as they are to many of the rest of you.  Just to be clear... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

With the way this storm has moved around over the past 7 days and gave hopes and dreams of a blizzard from the east coast people to now Chicago,should name it winter storm Grinch or Soulcrusher. Lol I still believe there will be blizzard conditions for most of the great lakes area just due to the intense winds and any amount of snow that does fall. As for my location in Alpena,Michigan it still looks like atleast 8in and 40+mph winds. I'll take it.

• Like 2

Just now, Malacka11 said:

Whatever, it's a white Christmas. Unfortunately, I really don't know if I have the energy to get half as excited as I was this time if something arises again in two months. Ever since the first few crazy long range runs hinting at something special for Christmas I've been invested. 

The "acceptance" stage of grief 

• Like 1

A thing to watch is if this trend continues or is reversed over the next 24 hours or so. As we continue to move through today and tomorrow, more sampling of all of the moving pieces will occur. By the time we reach tomorrow evenings 0z runs, we should have a locked in idea on how it will all go down.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Powerball said:

The main trend with all the models the past 24 hours that the trough is ejecting more slowy and not digging as far south, thus the somewhat weaker but further west solutions we're starting to see.

The main impact this will have is whether the storm wraps up quickly enough to become a major event for most in the subforum, or does it revert back to being a glorified arctic front, which is what was advertised before we started seeing these weenie runs.

Welp, this might age like wine...

• Haha 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm