• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

When its all said and done, todays sofla event might be bigger than the midwest event.  There is a low moving across the gulf, giving us rain and choking the moisture feed for the midwest system.  

NWS Miami  @NWSMiami

@NWSWPC has placed all of South Florida in a Marginal Risk (1 of 4) of excessive rainfall. This means that isolated flash flooding is possible, especially in vulnerable urban locations.

Fkbes_bXkAAZdXP.png

I really do like the NWS "Probabilistic Forecast" charts they started publishing which show a "Low", "Expected", and "High" range and are updated every few hours with new model runs. The options seem to set expectations well based on an over/under performance of model data at any snapshot in time. 

Based on the maps at 9 AM on 12/20, my area can be expected to get 3 inches (low), 6 (expected), or 10 (high). 

The LOT forecast discussion (which I wish more of the TV mets would refer to!) basically says something I posted last night that it doesn't matter if it is 3 inches or 10 inches, 50 MPH winds are going to cause huge issues.  

https://www.weather.gov/lot/winter

12 minutes ago, jlauderdal said:

When its all said and done, todays sofla event might be bigger than the midwest event.  There is a low moving across the gulf, giving us rain and choking the moisture feed for the midwest system.  

NWS Miami  @NWSMiami

@NWSWPC has placed all of South Florida in a Marginal Risk (1 of 4) of excessive rainfall. This means that isolated flash flooding is possible, especially in vulnerable urban locations.

Fkbes_bXkAAZdXP.png

love it.  choke the gulf moisture

• Haha 1

Hello, I'm new to this forum.  I just want to say thank you for giving us the head's up.  I've been an avid weather watcher for decades. Mother nature is fascinating to me.

The snow and ice (flash freeze rain) is bad enough but the wind and cold oh boy!  I'll be witnessing yet another historic storm in my lifetime, but this one has me worried.  Blizzard of 78 was nothing to a teenager;  However as time has marched on and I'm not so nimble anymore, I am NOT looking forward to this storm. 

Thanks again everyone for your hard work and head's up.  :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, michaelmantis said:

So for my family who is in total panic about Christmas travel being a nightmare, (and looking to me as the family weather nerd) how much does this mean impact wise in N IL? 

NWS explains it all ..... you can tell them this truth, and take the heat off you.

1 hour ago, jlauderdal said:

NWS Miami  @NWSMiami

Why are we discussing FL weather in here at all? Totally irrelevant. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, hardypalmguy said:

because it affects the endgame for this system up here.  weather is not your backyard only.

Actually, we're discussing it because you had another dumbass comment to make about you taking a vacation. The fact that weather down there affects weather up here is secondary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm