Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Doesn't look good

50/50 lifts out too quickly and the vort doesn't dig

639c6e66dc0c1.png

At 144 isnt it in the process of digging? or not as the case may be?  in other words how do we know what the next panels would show?  h5 compared to 0z?  Thanks in advance

16 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

He's a big game hunter. Even then, it's not good enough.

I'll take small storms but when you've been in the snow wilderness for six years and you have a ripe pattern and signs of potential big storm and then it looks like it might not happen, I'm not going to be thrilled.

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I don’t have access to the latest eps, but I’d compare the h5 to gefs at 144

to this weenie eye it looks more like 0z GFS at 150 than 6z GFS at 144.  might not be all the dig we want but the trough looks further west like 0z.  6z GFS was further east.  I could be way off of course

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I think this is probably the best panel to see the differences. Continues the trend of ejecting of less lead energy eastward underneath the NAO ridge.

1671602400-OtFouEYN8TY.png

1671602400-AhSX9cdEYV0.png

Noob question….don’t we want some to eject under the block to reinforce the 50/50?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

And that's a good thing right?

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

Noob question….don’t we want some to eject under the block to reinforce the 50/50?  

Yeah. We want some lead energy that suppresses the flow over the eastern conus. That helps our shortwave dig farther southwest. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, frd said:

Do you feel the GFS suppresses coastal low pressure incorrectly as a bias? 

Earlier in the month it had this storm further out in the Atlantic only to correct West.  

Also I read that the warm pool in the NW Atlantic may be playing a role by enticing the block to connect to this area by the way of a ridge and hence cause the coastal to be more of a inland runner or coastal hugger.   

This warm pool has been a persistent feature and was even focused on during the summer as part of a study on marine heat waves where certain ocean SST anomalies are significantly above normal.  

So we have anomalous - AO but also anomalously warm sea surface temps in the NW Atlantic. I imagine possibly competing forces for our area.  

Maybe this feature becomes less of a concern next month.  

We played this game with a persistent WAR a few years back. Don't need a repeat of that season, please.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d think a more consolidated piece of energy would dig deeper and produce a storm more likely to gain latitude. Without something to block it it might end up cutting but I’d rather see that than a low that just slides off the coast.

I like this times 10,000.. I’d rather roll the dice here and be looking down the barrel of an amped system than have some weak pos sheared out mess because the phase was never even close. Beggers can’t be choosers BUT it’s early and I’m willing to push the chips all in. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d think a more consolidated piece of energy would dig deeper and produce a storm more likely to gain latitude. Without something to block it it might end up cutting but I’d rather see that than a low that just slides off the coast.

24 hours ago folks were thrilled a cutter option was waning. So, now we want the cutter idea back? I thought S and E was where we wanted it at this range? :blink: