Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

I would disagree experientially that “even in our best patterns we often need multiple chances before we get a hit”

In our best patterns it snows just about every time it can . When we are speaking of multiple misses beforehand we are mostly In trouble 

That hasn’t been my experience. Just going back over some notably great patterns…

1996 we got some minor snow in November and early December from a pac driven pattern. But the great blocking set in around Dec 10 then we struck out on like the first 5 waves before the big storm finally hit in January.  

2003 we did hit our first threat in December.  Then we struck out on a couple and lucked into some back end snow after a big rainstorm on Xmas. But then we went almost a month in the middle of that winter with mostly cold and dry conditions before the epic February.

We had a really good pattern in Jan-Mar 2005 but mostly struck out again and again until we finally hit on back to back snows in late February early March. 

2009-10 we waited a couple weeks and then cities missed on 3 threats before the big storm. Then when blocking reloaded in January we missed on the first several chances again, which was when Ji went on that now infamous rant before we went on that heater in early February. But after we also missed 3 more threats to end that winter and Ji made another epic post that it made the winter disappointing to end that way lol. 

2013-14 was the only exception where we seemed to hit everything. That was rare Imo and we got lucky. 

2014-15 the pattern flipped to a  -epo pna pattern in mid January then we suffered for a month while New England got blasted and we missed threat after threat.  Then we went on an epic run Mid Feb and March. 

2016 January the block set in then we wasted 3 threads. One was similar to this coming storm, muller b with not enough cold. Then a cutter. Then a suppressed storm and finally the big hit. Then we mostly wasted the same pattern for several weeks after also. We also missed 2 good threats in March that year.  We under performed. 

March 2018. Amazing pattern. But we missed 3 times before the hit.  Perfect track coastal with not enough cold. Then a miller b that developed late. Then a suppressed storm. I made an epic rant and we got the hit right after. 

This is subjective somewhat, but just pointing out from my perspective even when we’ve had great patterns and great winters we miss a lot and sometimes have to suffer before snow. I think we just block out the misses and just remember the hits when we look back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman your photographic memory of our failures never ceases to amaze me lol 

I remember all the hits too, unfortunately that’s a much smaller list. 

I’m lucky to have a good memory. Secret is I never studied and I’m not that smart…I just remember everything.  I do think there is value in knowing how we’ve failed though.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1