Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Gotta love that 2009! LFG!!

6272FBDC-B18D-4844-98D2-8D7FDDA9E5BA.jpeg

It is a very similar look.  In 2009 eventually a piece of the TPV did drop in and phase while there was a 50/50 in the way to prevent a cutter. But keep in mind it took a while. We had a cutter and a sheared wave after that date before finally getting the win.  Great setup doesn’t mean “next wave is definitely a big snow”. Even in our best patterns we often need multiple chances before we get a hit. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It is a very similar look.  In 2009 eventually a piece of the TPV did drop in and phase while there was a 50/50 in the way to prevent a cutter. But keep in mind it took a while. We had a cutter and a sheared wave after that date before finally getting the win.  Great setup doesn’t mean “next wave is definitely a big snow”. Even in our best patterns we often need multiple chances before we get a hit. 

I've noticed that the data from CPC analogs apparently only goes through 2009. Do you or anyone in here know where can I find analogs from 2010 onwards?

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s trending more negative day 10-15 than guidance showed it previously. Not more negative than the -4 stdv it is now. We don’t need the AO to be -4 to snow. 

Agreed,  that was my point. Certainly appears we are entering a long duration negative AO regime. This will also be the first December in many years where the robust snow cover extent in North America didn't go poof after December 20th. A healthy cryosphere, a good sign. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

D10 setup isn't all that different than how we got snow in Dec/Jan 2013-14.  It's also a way to hit a little hot streak. Too progressive for a big storm but not a couple small ones lol

IIRC, that year we had the -EPO rocking, but also a super ++NAO much of the time as long as the pERleR VerTeX didn’t pay us a visit. So that could give us more space for storms to slow down.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

D10 setup on gfs/euro isn't all that different than how we got snow in Dec/Jan 2013-14.  It's also a way to hit a little hot streak. Too progressive for a big storm but not a couple small ones lol

With the -NAO/AO why is it progressive?  I thought those indices make it not progressive and allow storms to amplify and slowdown. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

IIRC, that year we had the -EPO rocking, but also a super ++NAO much of the time as long as the pERleR VerTeX didn’t pay us a visit. So that could give us more space for storms to slow down.

It was a wild stretch. The tpv acted like a block when we needed it. Set the lanes up just right underneath. 

34 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

With the -NAO/AO why is it progressive?  I thought those indices make it not progressive and allow storms to amplify and slowdown. 

With a nasty tpv drop like that, effective blocking will happen north of us. Flow will always be fast underneath a big tpv. I'm just calling what I see. I'd prefer less amplification and more blockification but hard to be picky at all rn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I would disagree experientially that “even in our best patterns we often need multiple chances before we get a hit”

In our best patterns it snows just about every time it can . When we are speaking of multiple misses beforehand we are mostly In trouble 

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

GFS setting something up for the 23.  50/50 low, 1043 HP over Canada, system developing in the south.

Really been keying in on that for at least several runs. One hell of a HP as well. 

TT only goes out to 240 for Euro. Did it show the 23rd as well? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Really been keying in on that for at least several runs. One hell of a HP as well. 

The HP was actually strengthening as it was dropping south, too.  

Christmas-eve-eve snow breaking out in DC Friday morning.  Moderate to heavy snow Friday afternoon.  :snowing:

Yes, I’m doing PBP on a 280H+ run of the GFS OP. :lol:

ETA:  NS vort dropping down from the plains creates a low in the Great Lakes.  GFS eventually has a low in the gulf, low off the Jersey coast, and a low in the Great Lakes.  A window to certainly keep an eye on. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 2

Well, this is a great thread by Allan where he provides composites of the 500 mb anomalies and surface tempertures based on the CPC super ensembles then rolled them forward 5 days from Dec 22 nd  to Dec 27 th and then another 5 days centered on 1/1/23.  Wow !!!  HM chimes in at the end. :mapsnow:

FjuHYs7XgAIh0vN.jpeg

• Like 5