Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Few winter storm warnings for the Berkshires this winter?

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOSTON/NORTON MA 1017 AM EDT THU OCT 20 2022 ...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE-BOSTON WILL TEST NEW EXPERIMENTAL WINTER STORM WARNING SNOWFALL CRITERIA FOR THIS SEASON... THIS WINTER, THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST OFFICE IN BOSTON/NORTON WILL SLIGHTLY MODIFY ITS WINTER STORM WARNING SNOWFALL CRITERIA. THIS CHANGE WILL AFFECT THE SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES AND WILL ALIGN SNOWFALL CRITERIA FOR WINTER STORM WARNINGS MORE CLOSELY WITH CLIMATOLOGICALLY-BASED IMPACTS. THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES TO WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY CRITERIA. PREVIOUSLY, WARNING DECISIONS WERE BASED ON CONSIDERATION OF 6 INCHES OCCURRING IN 12 HOURS AND THE EXPECTED IMPACTS. THE NEW CLIMATOLOGICALLY-BASED THRESHOLD IS CHANGING TO 7 INCHES FOR THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES, BUT WE WILL STILL TAKE INTO ACCOUNT EXPECTED IMPACTS WHEN MAKING A WARNING DECISION. THE ONLY ZONES IMPACTED ARE... WESTERN FRANKLIN COUNTY (UGC ZONE MAZ002)... 7 INCHES. WESTERN HAMPSHIRE COUNTY (UGC ZONE MAZ008)... 7 INCHES WESTERN HAMPDEN COUNTY (UCG ZONE MAZ009)... 7 INCHES

Pete will survive.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Maybe more?? ;)

I'm excited to go 8 for the mountains up here. And we ditch the silly 12 or 24 hour criteria distinction. 

The idea was to come up with criteria that more or less averaged out to about 4 or 5 warnings per year in each zone. 

You mean like how J.Q. Cop has to get his quota of 5 tickets per month ha.  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You mean like how J.Q. Cop has to get his quota of 5 tickets per month ha.  

It would be fun if at the end of the month we had to fire off 3 warnings in a row just to make quota.

But as we well know, it's the cry wolf syndrome. Let's make our warnings more meaningful (but in realty for the vast majority of the board nothing changes). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The warmth and sun are bringing large numbers of Asian lady beetles to the front of my house. 
We had thousands of them when we first bought our house in the late 1990s. They haven’t been as bad since but they are showing up today

I hate them

I golfed in Leicester this past week and there were a ton of lady bugs around, I kept brushing them off my clubs and golf bag. They'll be in my house soon, not sure how they get in but they do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

None at all other than the lawns. Leaves will be done by Nov15 here. There you’ll be cleaning up well into Dec . Yikes !

The science suggests you should leave some leaves on the lawn to enhance spring’s growth via composting.  It shouldn’t  bother you since the lawn will be under deep snow all winter right?

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Maybe more?? ;)

I'm excited to go 8 for the mountains up here. And we ditch the silly 12 or 24 hour criteria distinction. 

The idea was to come up with criteria that more or less averaged out to about 4 or 5 warnings per year in each zone. 

I love the getting rid of the time criteria. Makes it much more cleaner.

BTV already said they were switching it up.

My question for you… with no time criteria though do you issue Warnings now for the backside upslope zones all the time?  I mean you get a 3-6” synoptic system and then wrap around puts down another 3-6” giving 6-12” over like 30 hours?

With no time criteria, it’ll be interesting how it’s handled.  The mountains here or J.Spin can get to 7”+ “storm total” at 2-3 inches every 10 hours from snow showers.

Or is that where impacts come in?  Despite a 3 day total of 12” there were never any real bad impacts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I love the getting rid of the time criteria. Makes it much more cleaner.

BTV already said they were switching it up.

My question for you… with no time criteria though do you issue Warnings now for the backside upslope zones all the time?  I mean you get a 3-6” synoptic system and then wrap around puts down another 3-6” giving 6-12” over like 30 hours?

With no time criteria, it’ll be interesting how it’s handled.  The mountains here or J.Spin can get to 7”+ “storm total” at 2-3 inches every 10 hours from snow showers.

Or is that where impacts come in?  Despite a 3 day total of 12” there were never any real bad impacts.

Essentially there is an agreement locally that we should at least have a period where 6 inches falls in 12 hours, to really hit the impacts aspect (it always boils down to rates). Because the technical directive would be "events" can be up to 48 hours, which would lump in a ton of upslope events that aren't always warning level impacts.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most of Jan and Feb I think are mainly mild and dry relative to normal. If there’s going to be winter , I think it’s from late Nov till early Jan

I’m not a fan of another the nina but I don’t have much of a lean this season. Give me a long awaited big dawg and I couldn’t care less what else transpires. It’s not how you like it but I’ve become uncomfortably numb missing 18+ events since 2011…it’s time. 

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The warmth and sun are bringing large numbers of Asian lady beetles to the front of my house. 
We had thousands of them when we first bought our house in the late 1990s. They haven’t been as bad since but they are showing up today

I hate them

Same up here. We keep getting swarms hatching and then getting in the house. I suck them up in a hand vacuum and then go across the street and empty them out. Thwy are soooo annoying!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Same up here. We keep getting swarms hatching and then getting in the house. I suck them up in a hand vacuum and then go across the street and empty them out. Thwy are soooo annoying!!!

Add me to the list.  About a dozen seem to find their way indoors every mild sunny afternoon.

I remember as a kid it was this time of year, my father had already removed the screens for winter storage.  It was unseasonably warm/hot so I opened windows in my bedroom.  I came back hours later to every walk and the ceiling just covered in ladybugs.  Like hundreds of them.

I remember my dad bringing up the ShopVac and being like “knock yourself out, have fun” and I spent the next hour sucking them off the walls.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not if we have the winter I’m expecting . 

Do like I've seen them do in LA.  Put a faux snow cover made of some cottony material on the lawn.  You go into neighborhoods during the holidays and they used to be all over the place.  They kind of lost their luster after a few rainy xmas eve's made them all shrivel up and look ridiculous......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m not a fan of another the nina but I don’t have much of a lean this season. Give me a long awaited big dawg and I couldn’t care less what else transpires. It’s not how you like it but I’ve become uncomfortably numb missing 18+ events since 2011…it’s time. 

People often say this......but we know it's not true.  :)

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I was totally satiated last winter after 14 hrs of pure whiteout and feet of snow. Really didn't care after that. Number 2 on my all timer list and that's saying a lot for  my 65 plus years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was totally satiated last winter after 14 hrs of pure whiteout and feet of snow. Really didn't care after that. Number 2 on my all timer list and that's saying a lot for  my 65 plus years.

You’ve had a lot of biggies too. That’s all I want these-days. Sure any event is enjoyable and the kids love it regardless of how much falls…but this big kid wants the upper echelon conditions and totals for the memory bank. 

• Like 1

It's way out there ...  288 hours and such, but without even looking at the rest of the GFS's panel of products, this can't be happening without an EPO dive.  It spikes downward, and the flow follows suits.  516 dm hydrostates to Montana is redic for November 4 even for their standards..

It's just some to eye candy -

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_48.png