Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I knew they were around, but seems like low odds to catch one on a trail cam...but there's probably more than we realize. That's pretty cool.

Last May my kid yelled “hey dad there’s Bob kittens in the yard!”  I went to the window and sure enough two small cats and a mama we’re strolling through our backyard.

It’s not like we live in the middle of nowhere either. There’s big woods out behind our house but plenty of neighbors  around us also. That was my sixth or seventh bobcat encounter in the 12 years we have been in the house.

The day after the 2011 October snowstorm I was helping a neighbor find a lost dog and I had a pretty close up cat encounter.  I was standing still on a logging road and this thing came trotting down the hill and didn’t see me. Probably got within 40 feet. Pretty nerve-racking actually.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kdxken said:

It can also be a very dangerous type of tree to fell. While all trees will barber pole with enough lean , you see it a lot more in locust. Since the wood is so strong it can throw the tree a great distance. If I had cut this tree from the bad side you wouldn't be seeing these pictures.

Screenshot_20221012-052612_Gallery.jpg

Learned how to handle leaners during chainsaw training.  Make a normal front notch, then plunge cut an inch or so behind it and cut backwards.  Maybe make small cuts on both sides at notch level before the plunge cut.  The usual back cut was called "chasing the hinge" by the instructor, while the plunge cut allows the cutter to know exactly when the tree will fall, rather than cutting until one begins to hear crackles.   My first try of that method was a 16" diameter white ash, an "easy split" species, hanging over the driveway at a 45° angle (and gradually tipping farther).  Worked just like the instructor's example.
Black locust is not native to New England but has been widely planted here, sometimes on very infertile sites as reclamation as it fixes atmospheric nitrogen.  It naturalizes readily, usually thru root sprouts, but is intolerant of shade so can't compete with native beech/birch/maple over the long term.  Perhaps the most rot resistant of hardwood species, and heat value up with white oak, hickory and hophornbeam.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Uneven distribution where the inversion is lingering… Lotta home stations already in the mid-60s short distance to other sites hesitating in the mid 50s this hr

Speaking of inversions, it was impressively tight around here.  The fake cold crowd will love this. Low of 31F at a few local PWS along the valley floor, as well as the MVL ASOS, with heavy frost in the 700-800ft elevation band.

750ft freezing, but by even 850-900ft temps were mid-30s.  By 1200ft it was mid-40s.  At 1,500ft temps hung near 50F all night.  Downright balmy this morning at the ski area while everything was iced in town.

Extremely tight inversion.  First image is larger view this morning (mins were 1-2F colder than this snapshot in the valley).  

Second image is my local area near the river and Stowe CC where the cold pools.  32F at the bottom of the hill 750ft and 46F at the top of the hill at 1200ft.

1.jpg.536c37e2b1ab8b81e6c01cf9e5db2c82.jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of inversions, it was impressively tight around here.  The fake cold crowd will love this. Low of 31F at a few local PWS along the valley floor, as well as the MVL ASOS, with heavy frost in the 700-800ft elevation band.

750ft freezing, but by even 850-900ft temps were mid-30s.  By 1200ft it was mid-40s.  At 1,500ft temps hung near 50F all night.  Downright balmy this morning at the ski area while everything was iced in town.

Extremely tight inversion.  First image is larger view this morning (mins were 1-2F colder than this snapshot in the valley).  

Second image is my local area near the river and Stowe CC where the cold pools.  32F at the bottom of the hill 750ft and 46F at the top of the hill at 1200ft.

1.jpg.536c37e2b1ab8b81e6c01cf9e5db2c82.jpg

About as fake as it comes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We caught one on our trail cam in the woods behind my house. They are sneaky....hard to ever see, but they are around....esp in areas that have any type of undisturbed woods that are greater than like 10 acre chunks which is pretty common in the Holliston/Sherborn/Hopkinton stretch.

We have tons in my hood.  I've only ever seen one, but m y wife and daughter have seen them multiple times in our yard including mama and cubs

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

I’ve seen a few over the last few years here in town. We have mountains on each side of our town(east and west), which has thousands of acres of forest…so to Will’s post of undisturbed forest…we have that on both sides of town.  Bears everywhere around here.  We had 3 incidents last spring at school here.   This was in the spring…couldn’t let the kids off the buses cuz Yogi Bear was running around the school. Lmao. 

JD, the worst situation for snow enhancing is having mountains on either side of you.   Either blast them away or move to the east slope!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

JD, the worst situation for snow enhancing is having mountains on either side of you.   Either blast them away or move to the east slope!

Haha…you’re right Jerry.

However we do decently here. Did fabulous in Feb  ‘13 blizzard.  And awesome in January of ‘11 parade of storms/blizzards..we were absolutely buried!  And also did great in Feb 06.  Certainly don’t get skunked compared to surrounding locations, and not a death valley here by any means like a Springfield etc..

We Seem to do decently in SWFE too. I’m ok with my location..not a weenie spot, but not a death valley either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Wtf Bobcats?

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We caught one on our trail cam in the woods behind my house. They are sneaky....hard to ever see, but they are around....esp in areas that have any type of undisturbed woods that are greater than like 10 acre chunks which is pretty common in the Holliston/Sherborn/Hopkinton stretch.

I took this in my front yard at my house in Brooklyn a few years back.

Sh.it pic (on the verge of big foot 1970's quality), but the others I took were worse.

cat_01.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Living in a fake cold "hotspot", I still haven't been able to convince the pickup's battery that -20 isn't real.  :P

Close to 40° diurnal range today, but we'll not reach the needed 68° max.

Almost at 40 range here.

31F to 70F now.

MVL seems good today, 70F fits regional observations.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Living in a fake cold "hotspot", I still haven't been able to convince the pickup's battery that -20 isn't real.  :P

Close to 40° diurnal range today, but we'll not reach the needed 68° max.

You know I'm just kidding around. I do wish I radiated in the summer. :( 

• Like 1

Yeah this event was well modeled a week-plus out. 

Should have a few shots for some precip (even some flakes in the hills as dendrite mentioned earlier) next week as the closed upper-low over eastern Canada swings a series of fronts through. 

May actually see a bit of a lull in active weather for a period after next week. Final few weeks of the months who the heck knows...lots of signals though to see consistent deep closed off lows  in the East. 

• Like 1