Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

22 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Mint. It is a naturally dry wood, which is nice. I pay more attention to burn temp and frequent cleaning, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. 

Creosote Buildup

Fortunately, black locust firewood has low quantities of sap and resin; therefore, it is a low creator of creosote. Compared to other typical firewood types, black locust has no more resin or sap. Black Locust does produce a small amount of sap naturally.

10 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

He's saying 24% is dry enough that it won't sizzle.  If you season wood in a shed you can get below 15%, no? 

Oh sure you can get it below 15%. Most of my locust is way below. You hardly notice a difference when burning however. Here's a picture of 24% tonight.

20221011_190207.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I mean that’s either an acute electronic issue or Santa put some coal under the MVL stocking.

Looks like it went off-line at 3:05pm at 81F and came back online at 4:10pm at 63F.

Now at 37F it’s in line with all the local radiating PWS spots showing 36-39F.

Good to see BTV must’ve caught it and sent someone out late afternoon?

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like it went off-line at 3:05pm at 81F and came back online at 4:10pm at 63F.

Now at 37F it’s in line with all the local radiating PWS spots showing 36-39F.

Good to see BTV must’ve caught it and sent someone out late afternoon?

I'm sure it triggered a trouble ticket as it was so far off from the backup instrumentation.

• Like 1

It can also be a very dangerous type of tree to fell. While all trees will barber pole with enough lean , you see it a lot more in locust. Since the wood is so strong it can throw the tree a great distance. If I had cut this tree from the bad side you wouldn't be seeing these pictures.

Screenshot_20221012-052612_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, kdxken said:

It can also be a very dangerous type of tree to fell. While all trees will barber pole with enough lean , you see it a lot more in locust. Since the wood is so strong it can throw the tree a great distance. If I had cut this tree from the bad side you wouldn't be seeing these pictures.

Screenshot_20221012-052612_Gallery.jpg

And it grows reallyl fast so the supply replenishes a lot faster than other hardwoods.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Wtf Bobcats?

We caught one on our trail cam in the woods behind my house. They are sneaky....hard to ever see, but they are around....esp in areas that have any type of undisturbed woods that are greater than like 10 acre chunks which is pretty common in the Holliston/Sherborn/Hopkinton stretch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We caught one on our trail cam in the woods behind my house. They are sneaky....hard to ever see, but they are around....esp in areas that have any type of undisturbed woods that are greater than like 10 acre chunks which is pretty common in the Holliston/Sherborn/Hopkinton stretch.

I knew they were around, but seems like low odds to catch one on a trail cam...but there's probably more than we realize. That's pretty cool.

I’ve seen a few over the last few years here in town. We have mountains on each side of our town(east and west), which has thousands of acres of forest…so to Will’s post of undisturbed forest…we have that on both sides of town.  Bears everywhere around here.  We had 3 incidents last spring at school here.   This was in the spring…couldn’t let the kids off the buses cuz Yogi Bear was running around the school. Lmao.